Injury Report: Hamonic Concussion - **Activated off of IR**

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wtf. This sucks. He was playing so much better with de Haan.

I really hope he's ok. I wonder if it has to do with a few games ago when he was smashed in the jaw a d bleeding? Anyone else remember that? I think it was the first Dallas game when Johnny had the 5pt night. He played a few games after that so mayby it was lingering.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Man, hope it isnt a concussion. If it is...its worrisome. He seems to get alot of head injuries...

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I do think it's a concussion. I just wish the Islanders would be open about that instead of calling it "upper body." I think Strait had a concussion, too, because that was an awfully long time to be out for a nagging shoulder injury or something that didn't need surgery. They called his injury "upper body." I don't get why they try to hide behind the terms sometimes, but other times are open about the injury (Visnovsky).

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I was under the impression players are not supposed to fly if they are having concussion symptoms? Maybe its something else. Either way its not a good sign.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Wtf. This sucks. He was playing so much better with de Haan.

I really hope he's ok. I wonder if it has to do with a few games ago when he was smashed in the jaw a d bleeding? Anyone else remember that? I think it was the first Dallas game when Johnny had the 5pt night. He played a few games after that so mayby it was lingering.

Yup you are right. It looked like he was in some pain after that hit too. Hope it is not concussion but would not be surprised. Not good.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
This team can't catch a break, just when it looked like Vis was coming back and Harmonic was playing so good with de Haan, there was hope for some consistency back there we get this. We need a blood sacrifice to the Hockey Gods, cause it looks like someone has piised them off. I nominate Wang.

scott99

May 13, 2005
This team can't catch a break, just when it looked like Vis was coming back and Harmonic was playing so good with de Haan, there was hope for some consistency back there we get this. We need a blood sacrifice to the Hockey Gods, cause it looks like someone has piised them off. I nominate Wang.

Seriously, any volunteers ? All joking aside, the NHL and NFL really need to do something about the helmets. There are so many concussions nowadays. I see at least 2 in every NFL game, and they are more worrisome in the NHL because they seem more long term, with guys missing half a season or more (Crosby, Savard, and now Vis). They need either more cushioning, softer cushioning, something inside the helmets to stop these concussions. I have an idea, but don't want to lose a million dollar idea to strangers, lol.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Back in the 1980s (yes, I'm that old) there used to be this poster around that told you the steps to implement in the event of a nuclear attack. The instructions started with something like hiding under your desk and finished with "bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye."

Well, if Hamonic is hurt, bend over and kiss the Isles PO hopes goodbye. In other words, stick a fork in them because they are done for dinner.

No team makes the playoffs with their top two dmen and number 1 goalie on ir, especially not a team without our depth (or lack of therefore).

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Lack of defensive depth is rearing it's ugly head again. Now we are force to play Martinek or Carkner.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Seriously, any volunteers ? All joking aside, the NHL and NFL really need to do something about the helmets. There are so many concussions nowadays. I see at least 2 in every NFL game, and they are more worrisome in the NHL because they seem more long term, with guys missing half a season or more (Crosby, Savard, and now Vis). They need either more cushioning, softer cushioning, something inside the helmets to stop these concussions. I have an idea, but don't want to lose a million dollar idea to strangers, lol.

Check out the huge helmet that Wes Welker sported for Denver in the last game and against the Pats on Sunday. We need to get that for every one of our players.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Every team has injuries. A good GM plans for these instances. Every team needs at least 9 NHL level defenseman in the organization to start out the season. They should have signed a couple of NHL vets to 2 way deals for BP instead of calling up AHL rookies that aren't ready yet.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I wonder if Mayfield gets called up soon if Hamonic is gone for a while. They play similar styles, Mayfield is big, strong, can skate and hit, and doesn't mind dropping the gloves.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Every team has injuries. A good GM plans for these instances. Every team needs at least 9 NHL level defenseman in the organization to start out the season. They should have signed a couple of NHL vets to 2 way deals for BP instead of calling up AHL rookies that aren't ready yet.

Please, what kind of worth-while NHL dman signs a 2 way deal?

Any half decent dman will get snapped up on waivers anyway. Even if you do get them through waivers, you're not going to pay two dman NHL salaries to play in the AHL.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

If these guys were wearing the equipment players used to wear, there would be fewer concussions. They wouldn't be nearly as rambunctious on the ice. Defence would be about winning the puck and body position over blowing someone up as throwing a big hit would hurt a lot more than it currently does. These guys are wearing the equivalent of gladiator armour these days. Change the equipment and head injuries would decrease.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I wonder if Mayfield gets called up soon if Hamonic is gone for a while. They play similar styles, Mayfield is big, strong, can skate and hit, and doesn't mind dropping the gloves.

I was going to ask... how has he looked in Bridgeport?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Not sure lack of depth fully explains your top two d-men being out. I can't think of many teams that would survive that. It is what it is.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Please, what kind of worth-while NHL dman signs a 2 way deal?

Any half decent dman will get snapped up on waivers anyway. Even if you do get them through waivers, you're not going to pay two dman NHL salaries to play in the AHL.
Teams sign borderline NHL Vets to 2 way deals all the time. Sometimes these guys just need a change and will take a 2 way deal on a team that they feel they can win a job with. So you have to put them on waivers to send them down, big deal. They don't always get picked up. They would be much better than the scruff rookies that we have in BP. You aren't going to go anywhere with bunch of rookie D-men.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Teams sign borderline NHL Vets to 2 way deals all the time. Sometimes these guys just need a change and will take a 2 way deal on a team that they feel they can win a job with. So you have to put them on waivers to send them down, big deal. They don't always get picked up. They would be much better than the scruff rookies that we have in BP. You aren't going to go anywhere with bunch of rookie D-men.

Who else signed a 2-way deal that would be a significant upgrade over who we have already?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Who else signed a 2-way deal that would be a significant upgrade over who we have already?
Matt Gilroy, I'd rather have him playing right now over Martinek or Carkner and maybe even Donovan. At least he can keep up with NHL forwards with speed and he lives on LI. I'm sure I could find more if I was inclined to do a search of the AHL ranks. Anyway, that's why you hire quality scouts. To scout out diamonds in the rough.

Last edited:

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
If these guys were wearing the equipment players used to wear, there would be fewer concussions. They wouldn't be nearly as rambunctious on the ice. Defence would be about winning the puck and body position over blowing someone up as throwing a big hit would hurt a lot more than it currently does. These guys are wearing the equivalent of gladiator armour these days. Change the equipment and head injuries would decrease.

yup. they need to change the pads to the softer ones. Would also decrease shot blocking as you dont get the iron feeling ones that they wear today. What they wear today is akin to what you used to see roller bladers use for their elbows, just solid pieces of hard plastic(or harder)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

That's not going to help much in the end. You get a concussion from the impact of your brain on the inside of your skull. Padding a helmet can only mitigate so much of that.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Klesla back on waivers today. I wonder if Snow asked for that?

I'd take him on our bottom pairing over the alternatives we've tried this season. Mind you, I'm saying that without having seen much of him at all this season.

Now:
de Haan - Strait
Klesla - Hickey
AMac - Martinek/callup
(I'm trying to keep guys on their better side.)

Eventually:
de Haan - Hamonic
Vis - Hickey
Klesla-Strait
Carkner or Martinek; someone gets waived or traded for a late pick (Where is AMac? Look below.)

Assuming Klesla worked out and everyone else gets healthy, I'd trade AMac. We'd get something useful for him, it should get de Haan on the ****ing PP somewhere, even a waiver-wire Klesla should provide better defense than Carkner while still adding size to a pairing. Hickey and Strait are signed for peanuts for next season. Klesla's contract ends after this season. No contract is blocking a youngster from making the team next season. (I'm not trading anyone while Hammer and Vis are out.)

Am I in the minority for wanting to move AMac in such a case?

:),
Mitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad