Injury Report: Hamonic Concussion - **Activated off of IR**

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
"@BrettCyrgalis: There is no decided next step yet for Hamonic, who is expected to meet with trainers and doctors soon. Definite concern w/in org. #Isles"

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Well that really sucks. Looks like Hamonic won't be returning until after the Olympic break at this point.

Yeah, Shut him down until the break. Let's be real here, we need Hamonic for much longer than just this season.

Look at the Avs, they went to the playoffs and made a little noise, then sucked the year after and missed the playoffs (by a mile). Now look at them.

We're still growing believe it or not and I believe in this team moving forward even if we do miss the playoffs this year.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
"@BrettCyrgalis: #Isles source says Hamonic woke up this morning not feeling well. He took contact Monday morning for the first time since Jan. 12 concussion"

Oh man...not good at all. Hammer is going to miss a significant amount of time.

Poor kid went from his best season to one with some serious dissapointments...

Last edited:

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
Oh man...not good at all. Hammer is going to miss a significant amount of time.

Poor kid went from his best season to one with some serious dissapointments...

?! What make you say that...?

Good thing is that he will have about a month of recovery without missing a game.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
?! What make you say that...?

Good thing is that he will have about a month of recovery without missing a game.

I've said this on other threads: this is his second professional concussion and I think he had one in juniors too. At age 23. And a playing style that hardly makes you feel confident this is going to be his last.

ANYTHING we get out of him at this point is a bonus; we might well have to assume he is on the road to early retirement and plan accordingly.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I've said this on other threads: this is his second professional concussion and I think he had one in juniors too. At age 23. And a playing style that hardly makes you feel confident this is going to be his last.

ANYTHING we get out of him at this point is a bonus; we might well have to assume he is on the road to early retirement and plan accordingly.

Did you forget the ":sarcasm:"?

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
With the playoffs out of reach and this season essentially over, shut him down and see you at training camp next year.

Let him fully recover.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
You can't be serious.

NO ONE knows what is going on with his mind right now. If you have a friend in the medical field ask them about this.

:shakehead

Huh?

I was just pointing out at "anything we get out of him is a bonus" is jumping the gun a little bit. Sounds like you are declaring his career finished already.... correct me if I misread.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Huh?

I was just pointing out at "anything we get out of him is a bonus" is jumping the gun a little bit. Sounds like you are declaring his career finished already.... correct me if I misread.

You asked me about leaving out the sarcasm.

There is a good possibility that even if he comes back this season, which I think is a long shot if we lose the next few games, and suffers another concussion too soon (say early next season), is DEFINITELY career-threatening.

Something to ponder; maybe his lesser play this year has something to do with a slower response rate he was trying to play through. He is at a career crossroad RIGHT NOW.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

There is a good possibility that even if he comes back this season, which I think is a long shot if we lose the next few games, and suffers another concussion too soon (say early next season), is DEFINITELY career-threatening.

Something to ponder; maybe his lesser play this year has something to do with a slower response rate he was trying to play through. He is at a career crossroad RIGHT NOW.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 12m
Heard that #Isles D Travis Hamonic (concussion) skated on his own today. Back on the ice for first time since Monday.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

His lesser play had everything to do with attempting to change his game. He tried too hard to implement offense into his game. Unfortunately, the offense never came and his defense suffered because of it. Notice how much better his game became once he was paired with CdH. They seemed to compliment each other extremely well.

Concussions are absolutely a concern, but let's take a bit of a step back here.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Other than maybe JT, Hamonic is probably the guy the Isles could least afford to lose. In this last bad stretch of games against some bigger teams, their small defense has just been overrun.

Adding size on D, acquiring at least average NHL quality goaltending :)shakehead), and improving secondary scoring are the 3 big needs of this team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Yeah, Shut him down until the break. Let's be real here, we need Hamonic for much longer than just this season.

Look at the Avs, they went to the playoffs and made a little noise, then sucked the year after and missed the playoffs (by a mile). Now look at them.

We're still growing believe it or not and I believe in this team moving forward even if we do miss the playoffs this year.

Great post, we still have crucial parts to this rebuild not even on the team.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Great post, we still have crucial parts to this rebuild not even on the team.

And, we have a GM who cannot make a trade without losing his shirt! Snow is not building a perennial power here, leave the rose colored glasses near the kool aid on the counter.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Other than maybe JT, Hamonic is probably the guy the Isles could least afford to lose. In this last bad stretch of games against some bigger teams, their small defense has just been overrun.

Adding size on D, acquiring at least average NHL quality goaltending :)shakehead), and improving secondary scoring are the 3 big needs of this team.

I feel like we're all becoming a broken record with this. (I'd like to add size down the middle into that secondary scoring.) Would be nice to see the team fill a need this offseason, but I'm thinking that won't happen until 2015 (and by then our prospects should have filled some of those needs.)

100% agree on the importance of losing Hamonic. Losing Hamonic right on the cusp of getting Vis back is also just adding insult to injury (or injury to injury? I think we've all been insulted enough by now; it would be nice to not have all of the injuries on top of it.)

Hope the kid gets better soon. Thankfully, this team at least sides with caution when it comes to concussions.

:),
Mitch

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
And, we have a GM who cannot make a trade without losing his shirt! Snow is not building a perennial power here, leave the rose colored glasses near the kool aid on the counter.

I don't think we should undersell the prospect pool that has been built. That said, we've done very little to advance the rebuild. What should have taken 5 years is looking like it will take 7 or 8 years. We can be a perennial powerhouse, but it's going to take an increase in payroll even to keep our own. Also, we're really just now seeing the secondary benefits of all of that tanking. A couple of years further and this team is improved even without any extra effort from management.

If you look at the Penguins or Blackhawks, you'll notice that they actually spent when the time was right. We haven't done that yet. This team has zero room for error because we've yet to fill obvious holes to start the season. As far as I'm concerned, we're wasting a quality year in the hockey career of John Tavares right now.

When we actually spend below the minimum, I'll start canning the GM hard. Until then, it seems like he's keeping the puck slowly moving forward in really awful circumstances. (That's not to say he couldn't have been wiser with even the minimum amount of money, but it's not a job that any GM in the league is going to covet.) We're sellers at this deadline, and we should be until it becomes obvious that the team is going to get back up to an average payroll.

It's not easy to win in the NHL when your team can't afford a single injury to any important player.

:),
Mitch

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Hamonic is wearing a full contact jersey and is doing four drills with the team at practice today. Good signs.

For what it's worth, it looks like Regin may be the guy to go when Hamonic is ready to come off IR. New lines today and he's being phased out.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hamonic is wearing a full contact jersey and is doing four drills with the team at practice today. Good signs.

For what it's worth, it looks like Regin may be the guy to go when Hamonic is ready to come off IR. New lines today and he's being phased out.

That would be addition by addition AND addition by subtraction. Great news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad