Confirmed with Link: Hammer given five year contract extension

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
This definitely takes the sting out of the Crawford deal.
Absolutely.

Oh boy....how long until threads pop up in the trade forum gauging the value of Toews or Kane...since many non Chicagoans will believe the Hawks will have to lose them now :laugh:

Take a gander at Seabrook, Sharp and Oduya trade to gauge what kind of lowball offers we will receive for Toews and Kane. That thread is hilarious.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
LxLl7.gif

Awesome to keep Hammer.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
A bargain contract with Hammer...just like they got Bickell cheap on extention in this era of cap creep inflationary explosion...but despite the attraction of Chicago as a team and place, expect the perks...a.k.a. commercial "opportunities" to flow Hammer and Bickell's way..at heftier remunerations...Those Ikea meatballs commercials for Hammer willlikely be expanded as will other business endorsements..This is the old Detrpit model where they always got guys cheaper than market price due to chance to win every year plus extra curricular opportunities..Stan is just copying that model..because he can..with the Hawks mow sky high on the Chicago market lots of business enforsement deals no doubt have also been multiplying for Hawks players..so yes they will give hometown discounts gkadly...As to T and K..we will be able to cap them at about $9million each but if their agent demands craziness of near max contracts which could be $15 to $ 16 million each per yr. .that would mean one or both gonzo..if any te pays any nhler the max of 20% of his team's total cap, that nhl team is nuts and suicidal..and besides neither T or K or Crosby or any nhler is worth that much..so really now a bump to 9mil each os going to be reasonable and accepted..even if they each do not score any more than they do now..even if they have plateaued..it simply is the price to retain from ufa poachers..so Stan will pay that to keep them. ..but with an $ 80 mil cap in 2 yrs, it will be doable for us..

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Yes I agree.

For 2015/16, Hawks have $32.5m in cap payroll at the moment.

Assuming the cap goes up $4m/yr over the next two years, that puts the cap around $72m for 2015/16.....

So let's say $40m in cap space but only 6 players signed. Let's say Toews/Kane each get $9m per year. 8 players signed, $22m in cap space.

So now we need to sign at least 13-14 more players w/ only $22m in space.

Assuming TT, Danault make the team, that's 12 players to sign with $20m in space.

Saad's raise....good question, I'll assume he gets $3.5m per year. 11 more players to sign with only $16.5m left.

Morin & Shaw & Pirri get a raise next year, let's assume they get $4.5m between them. 8 more players, $12m in space.

We only have 2 d-men signed....so that brings us to Leddy and Clendening. Let's give Leddy another raise to $4m per year. 7 players left, $8m in space. Clendening....$1.5m per year. 6 players left, $6.5m in cap space.....

Adding in Hammer's contract....5 players left to sign....only $2.5m in space....clearly headed for some cap "issues."

I would say K and T sign for $8.3 ish (they make tons off of endorsements- cuz Hawks and SC) and I would say your Saad $3.5M is High- unless he puts up BIG #'s.

so the Hawks would have 5 payers left to sign w/ about $4M- and at least one of those will be a late rounder that makes $500k

member 151739

I think Crawford is giving Hammer some money under the table. This deal is phenomenal.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
“It’s a little different since … we won in 2010 when pretty much half the team got split up,†Hjalmarsson said. “We still have a lot of guys left here from last year. We can’t really complain about anything (because) we have pretty much the same team.â€

“Maybe I could have gotten more somewhere else but I make a lot of money so I don’t really have to think about that too much. I really like playing for Chicago. I’ve been here for my whole career overseas and it pretty much feels like home. To imagine playing for a different team is tough for me because I feel so much for the city and for the team.â€

Amazing. Steal for what he brings. And I think the first part answers what he was probably thinking as a younger player, with the team half gone. Probably wanted to cash in and go to a contender at the time (SJ)

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Hammer proves again why he's my favourite Hawks player, finally someone takes a discount for the sake of keeping the band together!

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Hammer proves again why he's my favourite Hawks player, finally someone takes a discount for the sake of keeping the band together!

He was feeling guilty for signing that offer sheet that forced to trade some players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad