Confirmed with Link: Hammer given five year contract extension

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
new-toews-gif.gif

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Wow... I'm surprised he only got 4.1. Of all guys to give the Hawks a hometown discount, Hammer is about the last I expected it it from, since he had previously signed an offersheet to leave. This is super news.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Maybe he knew he got more than he should have last time and is throwing them a bone now. Refreshing to say the least.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
This makes it really good that Teuvo agreed to sign with no performance bonuses - because I think we're going to be pretty close to the cap the next few years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Definitely, I think this team has a great chance to be better this year and the following year when TT is here along with everyone else, just ****ing disgusting, that will probably be the best Hawks roster ever, even better than 2010.

Nothingman*

Things will be tight with the cap. But We will slowly shed a Seabrook here and a Sharp there over the years as players develop and contracts expire. And we have young players ready to step up with the vets to show them how. I think this is a good signing and the hit is not nearly as bad as Craw. Now....to get #4 to shoot the puck more......

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
An appropriate contract, thank goodness. I was afraid we wouldn't be able to lock this guy in for so long. Good deal, Stan.

I wouldn't mind seeing him take more shots especially after his waived off goal against Howard.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hjammer got more than he was worth on his last deal, he does not put up enough points to get much much more. Expected around 4.3-4.5 . Good Deal, love that he'll be back.

Hawks won't lose Toews or Kane unless they don't want to keep them - something that won't happen for sure.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Woke up 5 minutes before class, turned phone on airplane mode, and found out the good news after class.

Absolute steal. This makes the Jay-Bo contract look laughable. Stan is the best cap-managing GM in the NHL, and it's not even close. Very happy they got these done early.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes I agree.

For 2015/16, Hawks have $32.5m in cap payroll at the moment.

Assuming the cap goes up $4m/yr over the next two years, that puts the cap around $72m for 2015/16.....

So let's say $40m in cap space but only 6 players signed. Let's say Toews/Kane each get $9m per year. 8 players signed, $22m in cap space.

So now we need to sign at least 13-14 more players w/ only $22m in space.

Assuming TT, Danault make the team, that's 12 players to sign with $20m in space.

Saad's raise....good question, I'll assume he gets $3.5m per year. 11 more players to sign with only $16.5m left

Morin & Shaw & Pirri get a raise next year, let's assume they get $4.5m between them. 8 moreuh players, $12m in space.

We only have 2 d-men signed....so that brings us to Leddy and Clendening. Let's give Leddy another raise to $4m per year. 7 players left, $8m in space. Clendening....$1.5m per year. 6 players left, $6.5m in cap space.....

Adding in Hammer's contract....5 players left to sign....only $2.5m in space....clearly headed for some cap "issues."

Who cares about 2015/16. Enjoy this for now and worry about 2 years from now later.

Last edited by a moderator:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
An elite team will ALWAYS have cap issues.

Let'schope we alway do.

Im' not sure how anyone can complain that we have issues becuase he have too many good players.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I see I’m not the only who appreciates Hammer and his rather unsung contributions to this team. Good move Stan.

Hammer shows the way, as he seemingly was not greedy and will remain a Blackhawk for years to come. The current Hawks with contracts coming due will likely need more of that mentality to allow this team to keep rolling.

ChemSteve

Jul 22, 2013
Washington, IL
Stan is the best cap-managing GM in the NHL, and it's not even close.

No kidding! I hope Stan Bowman plans on being with the Hawks for a very long time and builds this team into a dynasty. Perhaps see if he can do more with the Hawks than his dad did with the Canadiens & Red Wings... :naughty: So nice to have good management after all the Dollar Bill years!

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Absolute bargain. One of the best deals in the NHL.

This.

Stan makes up for a questionable deal, with one of the best contracts in the NHL. Assuming health, and that Hammer provides what he's capable of, this is an absolute STEAL.

I'm glad Stan values Hammer as much as most of us do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad