Confirmed with Link: Hammer given five year contract extension

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Hawks sign Hjalmarsson to 5 year extension

According to official twiiter of Chicago Blackhawks

This is huge!!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hell yeah!!! This is so key. See, cap is not a problem anymore. Toews and Kane aren't leaving, obviously. This pretty much wraps it up, full team intact for a loooonnnnggg time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My reaction to this news:

hawks.gif

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Hell yeah!!! This is so key. See, cap is not a problem anymore. Toews and Kane aren't leaving, obviously. This pretty much wraps it up, full team intact for a loooonnnnggg time.

:shakehead

What does Hammer & Crawford signing extensions have to do with Toews and Kane, other than making the cap crunch to fit them in even tougher?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

What does Hammer & Crawford signing extensions have to do with Toews and Kane, other than making the cap crunch to fit them in even tougher?

I don't believe in the cap as a problem anymore, so it's just down to whether they want to be here or not.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I think it's giving Stan the benefit of the doubt. They probably know the cap is going to go up in a very big way. These guys see the numbers on the inside and the cap is tied to these revenues. There's no way they would handcuff themselves in to not being able to sign Kane and Toews.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Glad they signed him. I always like Hjammer and remember him making an impression during the first playoff series in 2009 against the Nucks. He was just so relaxed with the puck, and yet he was only 22 at the time.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Good for you. When Saad/Toews/Kane/Leddy all need raises then you are going to see it as a bit of a problem.

They wouldn't put themselves in that kind of position. Crawford and/or Hammer would be gone and the money would be spent on Toews/Kane instead.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Hopefully the cap goes up so we don't have to have a Kane vs Toews thread

Oh boy....how long until threads pop up in the trade forum gauging the value of Toews or Kane...since many non Chicagoans will believe the Hawks will have to lose them now :laugh:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Good for you. When Saad/Toews/Kane/Leddy all need raises then you are going to see it as a bit of a problem.

Toews and Kane are obviously the most important players. But i'd personally rate Hammer's importance above Leddy or Saad. Maybe Saad will catch Hammer eventually, but he has a really long way to go.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
LeBrun tweets 4.1 per.

If that's true, that takes some of the sting out of Crawford's contract.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5m
Hjalmarsson deal with Hawks worth $4.1 M per year on average

^^ this is really good. i'm surprised stan got him so cheap :nod:

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Toews and Kane are obviously the most important players. But i'd personally rate Hammer's importance above Leddy or Saad. Maybe Saad will catch Hammer eventually, but he has a really long way to go.

Yes I agree.

For 2015/16, Hawks have $32.5m in cap payroll at the moment.

Assuming the cap goes up $4m/yr over the next two years, that puts the cap around $72m for 2015/16.....

So let's say $40m in cap space but only 6 players signed. Let's say Toews/Kane each get $9m per year. 8 players signed, $22m in cap space.

So now we need to sign at least 13-14 more players w/ only $22m in space.

Assuming TT, Danault make the team, that's 12 players to sign with $20m in space.

Saad's raise....good question, I'll assume he gets $3.5m per year. 11 more players to sign with only $16.5m left.

Morin & Shaw & Pirri get a raise next year, let's assume they get $4.5m between them. 8 more players, $12m in space.

We only have 2 d-men signed....so that brings us to Leddy and Clendening. Let's give Leddy another raise to $4m per year. 7 players left, $8m in space. Clendening....$1.5m per year. 6 players left, $6.5m in cap space.....

Adding in Hammer's contract....5 players left to sign....only $2.5m in space....clearly headed for some cap "issues."

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This makes the Crawford deal a little easier to swallow.

Stan makes up for his biggest blunder by making a very solid signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad