Movies: Hamilton The Musical

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I haven’t stopped watching this or listening to the soundtrack since I posted in this thread. I listen to the cast album pretty much every day at work. It only grows in my admiration for it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really disliked it. It was a chore for me to get through, taking a handful of viewings and nearly a month to finish. I found it rather unintelligible, especially because nearly all of the dialogue has music blaring over it and is in a sing song fashion that prioritizes word play over informing and educating. Maybe being accustomed to rap makes one better able to follow along, but I'm not a fan of it and this didn't transcend that like I thought that it might, given its acclaim. I didn't really see any of why this musical is rated as highly as it is and it wasn't to my taste. I much prefer 1776, which I think has better storytelling, acting and educational value. Obviously, Hamilton is targeting a different audience than that, which is fine, but I'm not that audience.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really disliked it. It was a chore for me to get through, taking a handful of viewings and nearly a month to finish. I found it rather unintelligible, especially because nearly all of the dialogue has music blaring over it and is in a sing song fashion that prioritizes word play over informing and educating. Maybe being accustomed to rap makes one better able to follow along, but I'm not a fan of it and this didn't transcend that like I thought that it might, given its acclaim. I didn't really see any of why this musical is rated as highly as it is and it wasn't to my taste. I much prefer 1776, which I think has better storytelling, acting and educational value. Obviously, Hamilton is targeting a different audience than that, which is fine, but I'm not that audience.

This is meant to entertain, not educate.

Also, subtitles are your friend. I had to restart with subs on because LaFayette was rapping too fast for me to keep up. REALLY helpful.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I honestly don't know what I was expecting going into this, but the upbeat patriotism that permeates every line of this thing does not hit at all being a Canadian. I guess it's a cultural thing.

Also, the weird sleeveless vests are...strange to say the least.

Can non-americans speak to the appeal of this thing?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I honestly don't know what I was expecting going into this, but the upbeat patriotism that permeates every line of this thing does not hit at all being a Canadian. I guess it's a cultural thing.

Also, the weird sleeveless vests are...strange to say the least.

Can non-americans speak to the appeal of this thing?
I enjoyed it mildly, but I think a lot of my enjoyment had to do with the multicultural casting which sort of softened the upbeat patriotism bit. Though I am not the greatest fan of musicals, I just saw Hamilton as a clever piece of theatre. However, I can see why some Americans would respond to it much differently. Everything seems politicized over there these days.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My top “artist” on Spotify lol. Lin-Manuel individually came in at #4 too.

upload_2020-12-3_11-25-33.png

I’d be lying if I said this surprised me lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad