Movies: Hamilton The Musical

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It looks like studios are bidding on the filmed original cast production of the Hamilton musical. Interesting that they're not going to attempt a proper filmed adaption but just show the recording of the original production.

‘Hamilton’ May Be Headed to the Movies

Because they show is still selling out in every venue, it won't comes out for a couple of years at least.

I've been a huge fan of the soundtrack, but have not had any opportunity to see it live. I've been waiting for the tour to hit Toronto, but that's still a ways off. I rather see a live production, but being able to see the original cast is a big plus as well.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've been waiting on this to happen. It's an amazing show, for sure. Lin-Manuel Miranda is incredibly talented.

I expect a film adaptation to come out within the next decade.

I would pay a fair amount to watch a film recording of the original cast.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
It looks like studios are bidding on the filmed original cast production of the Hamilton musical. Interesting that they're not going to attempt a proper filmed adaption but just show the recording of the original production.

Because they show is still selling out in every venue, it won't comes out for a couple of years at least.

I've been a huge fan of the soundtrack, but have not had any opportunity to see it live. I've been waiting for the tour to hit Toronto, but that's still a ways off. I rather see a live production, but being able to see the original cast is a big plus as well.

I was able to score tickets for the Broadway product this past fall. I had listened to the soundtrack multiple times, used parts of songs when I was teaching Early American History, and even watched a few of the filmed clips of performances, but nothing was like seeing it live. Goosebumps the entire time. The staging is incredible, especially considering they basically have 1 set. What you see on the stage is what you get and the ensemble is magical in their choreography moving themselves and products around the stage.

I didn't get to see the original cast, but the guy who played the Genie on Broadway was playing Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson and an understudy played Burr for our show and he was amazing. His decent into madness by the end of the Room Where it Happens was perfection.

I'll be waiting with bated breathe to see the film of the original cast. For those interested, PBS did a documentary on Lin-Manual making Hamilton that I found just as much fun as the show: Hamilton's America | About the Documentary | Great Performances | PBS

Reactions: x Tame Impala

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Opens November 1, 2019 in Toronto do not that far off.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I've been waiting on this to happen. It's an amazing show, for sure. Lin-Manuel Miranda is incredibly talented.

I expect a film adaptation to come out within the next decade.

I would pay a fair amount to watch a film recording of the original cast.
I guess I don't have to pay...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I've never seen a full performance and only tidbits so take this with a grain of salt, but am I completely misguided in being baffled by how Lin-Manuel Miranda is considered as some sort of creative genius? Everything I've seen of Hamilton seems very smarmy and delivered in an after-school special kind of way?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've never seen a full performance and only tidbits so take this with a grain of salt, but am I completely misguided in being baffled by how Lin-Manuel Miranda is considered as some sort of creative genius? Everything I've seen of Hamilton seems very smarmy and delivered in an after-school special kind of way?

He's far too well-known and popular to be a genius.

It takes all the fun out of identifying a genius if everyone agrees with you.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
If you're asking our opinion, I'd consider that a pretty misguided opinion. I'm not sure he's as much of a "creative genius" as he is just very dedicated to his craft and fairly talented in multiple facets of performance art.

I'm not sure how it could come across as "smarmy". Maybe in small tidbits i could see how it can come across that way, but in the context of the entire work each part has its place.

Reactions: Amerika

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

nice try Jefferson, we're making a national bank whether you like it or not

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I had tickets for the NAC performance here in Ottawa in June I think.

Oh well.

I watched it as pretty much my last social outing before the things shut down. It was my second time seeing it via the touring production,but I'm eager to see the original cast. I've listened to the original cast recording a ton,and both times I've seen it, I always find myself comparing to the originals.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

The man wrote a rap-musical about Early American History. Other than being entertaining as all hell, it is actually very informative and has layers upon layers. Lin matched character rap styles to actual rappers based on personality. You can then get even deeper with how Jefferson starts out super "Jazzy" in his style when he first comes back from France, which shows that he is completely out of the loop and hasn't gone through what everyone else has. As he gets more familiar with the new country he develops his own rap style.

Also, I'm hella nerdy who appreciates a good live performance and taught Early American History, including the time period covered in Hamilton for about 3 months of the year. My opinion is going to be biased, but I think it is one of the greatest pieces of art ever created and I'm stoked it is coming to Disney+ way earlier than they were planning to release it.

You're entitled to your own opinion though. One that hasn't actually seen it or anything so you don't really have anything to base it on, so I'll take it with a shaker of salt.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The man wrote a rap-musical about Early American History. Other than being entertaining as all hell, it is actually very informative and has layers upon layers. Lin matched character rap styles to actual rappers based on personality. You can then get even deeper with how Jefferson starts out super "Jazzy" in his style when he first comes back from France, which shows that he is completely out of the loop and hasn't gone through what everyone else has. As he gets more familiar with the new country he develops his own rap style.

Also, I'm hella nerdy who appreciates a good live performance and taught Early American History, including the time period covered in Hamilton for about 3 months of the year. My opinion is going to be biased, but I think it is one of the greatest pieces of art ever created and I'm stoked it is coming to Disney+ way earlier than they were planning to release it.

You're entitled to your own opinion though. One that hasn't actually seen it or anything so you don't really have anything to base it on, so I'll take it with a shaker of salt.

I don't expect everyone to like it,but it really is a great show. Unfortunately, it's been talked about so long, that you do see many people form negative reactions to it without experiencing it.

Getting it on streaming will at least make it accessible to many who wouldn't have a chance.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I don't expect everyone to like it,but it really is a great show. Unfortunately, it's been talked about so long, that you do see many people form negative reactions to it without experiencing it.

Getting it on streaming will at least make it accessible to many who wouldn't have a chance.
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if there's going to be a re-surgence in its popularity, given that MANY more people have access to Disney+ than people who would have been inclined to actually see the live performance. Even those who did see the live performance, many people (like myself) who didn't get see the original cast.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if there's going to be a re-surgence in its popularity, given that MANY more people have access to Disney+ than people who would have been inclined to actually see the live performance. Even those who did see the live performance, many people (like myself) who didn't get see the original cast.

If it's moderately successful on streaming, it'll likely overtake the number of people who've seen it in the theatre live within a couple of weeks

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I haven't seen it, either, and I'll reserve judgment until I have, but you're not alone in that impression.

...still not better than 1776.....(old man grumbles)

It seems to me that much of what Hamilton receives praise for--being a stage musical about the founding fathers, being surprisingly educational and having sharp dialogue and layers--applies to 1776, which predates it by 40 years. There's obviously room for both, especially because they cater to different audiences and generations, but I wonder if Hamilton receives a little more credit for being creative and unique than it may deserve.

If anyone is interested, I managed to find my review of the film version of 1776 that I wrote last 4th of July:
1776-01.jpg

1776 (1972) - 8/10 (Loved it)

John Adams (William Daniels) and the rest of the Founding Fathers sing and dance their way to the signing of the Declaration of Independence in this adaptation of the hit Broadway musical. I usually don't review films that I've seen before, but I'll make an exception because of the holiday here in the States. Since first seeing it in a high school history class long, long ago, this has been one of my favorite musicals. It's alternately silly (with the joking and dancing around) and serious (such as when the debate turns to slavery). It's smart and funny, thanks to witty dialogue, especially from Ben Franklin (Howard Da Silva) in my favorite portrayal of him. You know how it's going to end (spoiler alert: the Declaration gets signed), but it's interesting to see how they get to that point, rather like 12 Angry Men, except that it's 12 Hesitant Delegates. It feels like a fun history lesson, even though it obviously takes historical liberties. If I have to criticize, I'd say that the songs aren't the most memorable (they're not bad and I like several, but they're not Rodgers and Hammerstein) and it drags a little in places (though not for long in each case). Despite those mild critiques, I find it to be a very enjoyable film to watch, especially around the 4th of July.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad