Movies: Hamilton The Musical

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'll admit that I love Hamilton,and did not realize another musical about that period had fome out before. If I ever have the chance, I may check it out.

That said,the praise for the musical goes just beyond the subject matter. The takeaways for me that make it special are

-The music is not just catchy, it captures a lot of musical styles that you don't see in the genre. The idea of rap musical isn't new, but there hasn't been many successful examples. It's honestly why the idea throws off so many people in my opinion. It evokes stuff like Cop Rock or other abominations.

-Its really a fast paced and dense story. This is in part how it uses the musical format and styles,but it covers a lot of ground,but nothing feels rushed.

-It feels very personal. It's what you want out of a historical story,that it's far beyond the historical events. It's ultimately a story of two men who hold fundamentally different philosophies in life,and is an easy to relate to contemporary life.

There's other stuff as well. Performances,the writing,the creative stage work.

I don't know if it's for everyone, but after watching it twice live and listening to the soundtrack dozens of times (if not more), I have a tough time thinking of any piece of art that has impacted me more.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'll admit that I love Hamilton,and did not realize another musical about that period had fome out before. If I ever have the chance, I may check it out.

That said,the praise for the musical goes just beyond the subject matter. The takeaways for me that make it special are

-The music is not just catchy, it captures a lot of musical styles that you don't see in the genre. The idea of rap musical isn't new, but there hasn't been many successful examples. It's honestly why the idea throws off so many people in my opinion. It evokes stuff like Cop Rock or other abominations.

-Its really a fast paced and dense story. This is in part how it uses the musical format and styles,but it covers a lot of ground,but nothing feels rushed.

-It feels very personal. It's what you want out of a historical story,that it's far beyond the historical events. It's ultimately a story of two men who hold fundamentally different philosophies in life,and is an easy to relate to contemporary life.

There's other stuff as well. Performances,the writing,the creative stage work.

I don't know if it's for everyone, but after watching it twice live and listening to the soundtrack dozens of times (if not more), I have a tough time thinking of any piece of art that has impacted me more.

And that's great. That's just the kind of opinion/feedback I wasn't looking for and I wasn't looking to insult anyone with my post, just giving my admittedly narrowed opinion considering my impression.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Bumping this thread as it launches tonight at midnight.

Apparently, Disney has dropped their 7 day free trial,so, you have to get a paid account to watch through there.

Compared to the hundreds of dollars people have paid for tickets, I'd say it's still a good value. I don't know how well it will translate to screen,but reviews so far indicate that it soes a pretty good job.

For those that haven't seen the show, my advice is to separate it from the praise it's received. It's hard for anything to live up to the hype.

If you go in to watch a well told story, with catchy songs,on a subject matter you wouldn't necessarily expect, you should be entertained.

Here's the trailer for those interested

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Bumping this thread as it launches tonight at midnight.

Apparently, Disney has dropped their 7 day free trial,so, you have to get a paid account to watch through there.

Compared to the hundreds of dollars people have paid for tickets, I'd say it's still a good value. I don't know how well it will translate to screen,but reviews so far indicate that it soes a pretty good job.

For those that haven't seen the show, my advice is to separate it from the praise it's received. It's hard for anything to live up to the hype.

If you go in to watch a well told story, with catchy songs,on a subject matter you wouldn't necessarily expect, you should be entertained.

Here's the trailer for those interested

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
All these years hearing about Hamilton and how great it is and how brilliant...to an annoying degree.

well...I watched Hamilton on Disney plus.

and they underrated it.

this is a work of pure unadulterated genius. The likes of which I don’t readily have a comparison to. That one person could write this...it’s maybe the single most humbling thing I’ve ever encountered in modern art.

if I was in a theater when Satisfied started my brain would have fallen out of my head.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
All these years hearing about Hamilton and how great it is and how brilliant...to an annoying degree.

and they underrated it.

this is a work of pure unadulterated genius. The likes of which I don’t readily have a comparison to. That one person could write this...it’s maybe the single most humbling thing I’ve ever encountered in modern art.

if I was in a theater when Satisfied started my brain would have fallen out of my head.

I think LMM did have a fair bit of help from the overall team, especially in orchestration of the songs,but, yeah, it's amazing that it came out of one brain.

If you're curious, I'd check out the Hamilton Mixtape, features of a number of songs cut for time. There's a few gems in there, including a diss rap by Hamilton against John Adams, and a full song of Angelica's reaction to the affair.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

and they underrated it.

I'm a history buff and a lover of musicals, and I've never seen Hamilton. Your post made me realize that I've somehow missed one of life's defining experiences, like sex or cheeseburgers or The Beatles. Must find a way to see this play and add meaning to my empty life.

Reactions: YNWA14

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I watched it yesterday. I think it was a really well-crafted musical. The acting by Leslie Odom, Jr(Burr)/Daveed Diggs (Jefferson)/Phillipa Soo (Eliza) were the standouts in my opinion. Shoutout to Jonathan Groff as King George, though he felt like a relatively minor role compared to the previous three.

I would be curious to see another actor play the Hamilton role, because I couldn't unsee LMM playing a character instead of Hamilton in a musical number. Not sure why, but it was hard to shake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I watched it yesterday. I think it was a really well-crafted musical. The acting by Leslie Odom, Jr(Burr)/Daveed Diggs (Jefferson)/Phillipa Soo (Eliza) were the standouts in my opinion. Shoutout to Jonathan Groff as King George, though he felt like a relatively minor role compared to the previous three.

I would be curious to see another actor play the Hamilton role, because I couldn't unsee LMM playing a character instead of Hamilton in a musical number. Not sure why, but it was hard to shake.

I think the main benefit of LMM performance is that his passion for the character is apparent. But, he's definitely the weakest performer of the main group. Its such a talented cast though,that I don't think it's much of an insult.

When I saw it live, the actor who played Hamilton was my favourite performer in the show. It xhantes the dynamics quite a bit.

As for the D+ performance, Daveed Diggs stood out to me the most. He was just a ball of energy out there. Not sure if he amped up the performance for the filming, but from what I understand, that's his normal levels.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I finally watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It almost lived up to the hype, but I feel like some of that is the lost in translation experience of live vs pre-recorded. The touring company was supposed to come around my way this year but... yanno... so my wife and I will try to see it next year when it comes around. It's very hard to type with all fingers crossed.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm really glad to see so many folks having a positive response for this show. I know a lot of folks who thought it was over-hyped and they seem to have changed their tune after seeing it on Disney+. I'm glad that folks who didn't experience it live were still fairly captivated by it.

We tried to save watching this around dinner time the day it launched, but ended up putting it on around 10am...

Amazing to see Lin-Manuel's authentic reactions to seeing his masterpiece come to life on stage. If you look into the background of how Hamilton as a musical came to be, it wasn't like he sat down and wrote this show over the course of a year or two.

Reactions: discostu

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm really glad to see so many folks having a positive response for this show. I know a lot of folks who thought it was over-hyped and they seem to have changed their tune after seeing it on Disney+. I'm glad that folks who didn't experience it live were still fairly captivated by it.

We tried to save watching this around dinner time the day it launched, but ended up putting it on around 10am...

Amazing to see Lin-Manuel's authentic reactions to seeing his masterpiece come to life on stage. If you look into the background of how Hamilton as a musical came to be, it wasn't like he sat down and wrote this show over the course of a year or two.

Didn't he first perform the opening number in like 2009?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Correct

For those who never saw it, here's his performance at the White House for Obama in 2009.

It's interestingt thatt original song remained almost fully in tact.

The show debuted in 2015, so it was something that took a numbers of years of development. I think the story is that he got the idea for it immediately after he finished the run of his first play (In the Heights), which he left in 2008.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, he was invited to the White House in 2009 to perform a piece from his first musical "In The Heights" but instead chose to perform something from what was then known as "The Hamilton Mixtape", which eventually became the opening track for Hamilton as we know it now.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Watched "Hamilton" (with the rest of the country, apparently). It's truly excellent. Great memorable songs, coherent story, excellent acting (except the silly spitting King George and the totally lame James Madison). Everybody is great. I am not a huge fan of rap, but it works beautifully in this context: the lyrics are witty, funny, and truly poetic, in both style and substance. My favorite joke was "I couldn't undo it if I tried... and I tried." "Not Gonna Waste My Shot" is a killer tune.

But the elephant in the room is, of course, black actors playing the Founding Fathers. Let's get this out of the way: I don't have a problem with this at all. Just like I didn't have a problem with a black actress playing Natasha Rostova in "The Great Comet." What I do have a problem with is the virtue signaling critics and people who love black Jefferson and Burr, but get their panties in bunch about white actors playing black or Asian parts. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

It is my firm belief that any actor should be able to play any role. John Wayne can play Genghis Khan. Joseph Fiennes can play Michael Jackson. Scarlett Johansson can play a Japanese anime character. Anything else is antithetical to the concept of art. Casting should entirely be the prerogative of the director (and, naturally, the studio, for commercial reasons). They should choose whoever they see fit that particular role the best. The ugliest elements of the "cancel culture" will be on their case, but they have to stand strong and hold fast.

Back on the subject: "Hamilton" is superb.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
excellent acting (except the silly spitting King George and the totally lame James Madison).

Back on the subject: "Hamilton" is superb.

I actually loved that part! I have listened to the soundtrack a million times and saw it live in Pittsburgh, but I never knew that Jonathan Groff gave the king such a blubbering crazy-eyed style. I thought it was pretty clever. It's kind of how I envision the real king. So angry at the idea of these colonists revolting across the ocean that he's literally spitting and crazy.

King George III was known to have bouts of literal insanity during his life, so I'm not sure this is entirely off-base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad