Hamilton II: The City, The League, and The Coliseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
killion, arena plans are (perhaps the most important) part of the expansion proposals.

i highly doubt the NHL would award an expansion team to a place that said: "hey, give us a team, we'll figure out this whole arena thing later".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
killion, arena plans are (perhaps the most important) part of the expansion proposals. i highly doubt the NHL would award an expansion team to a place that said: "hey, give us a team, we'll figure out this whole arena thing later".

I said "enjoin" danishh. Im putting it into the context of Expansion as opposed to Relocation. Expansion Application would include arena plans. If Governmental funding included, pre-approved. Similar to a World Cup or IOC Application process. Note that Quebec Citys arena construction costs are based partly on the cities desires to apply for a Winter Olympics'. There are flaws in the NHL's premise & in the expectant cities who fall for it.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Suggesting Copps' is not exactly NHL ready is correct; suggesting it cant be made NHL ready, & rather quickly at that, is completely & utterly false. Its a 1980's built but 1990's generation building that can easily be built out from within in order to accommodate expanded media, concessions & the like. Games could be played there immediately as renovations are ongoing without a blip.

Your right Copps is unique arena because when they designed it they thought ahead & built it so future renovations can be done not a lot of major arenas in north america or even the world would build in arena with future renos & upgrades in mind normaly owners or cities would just tear it down & build a new one every few decades . In Copps case they built it so the roof can be lifted to make room for corprate boxers , concesessions , addtional seating ect. with all this going on they won't need to close the arena durring construction I know it sounds far fetched but they say it could be done . One thing I forgot to mention the foot print of Copps is more than double size than the avg. arena man the guys who designed it thought of everything .

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
A Warrning to Quebec City if the NHL. promises you a team if you build a new arena we will come is load of crap we here in Hamilton fell for it 25 years ago & we are still waiting for the NHL. full fill its end of the bagain . Don't build it unless you have it in writting that you will get team if you build it .

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
A Warrning to Quebec City if the NHL. promises you a team if you build a new arena we will come is load of crap we here in Hamilton fell for it 25 years ago & we are still waiting for the NHL. full fill its end of the bagain . Don't build it unless you have it in writting that you will get team if you build it .

you should build an arena on it's own merits, as winnipeg did and qc is planning. If the NHL comes, great. If not, fine, you wernt counting on it.

If you build an arena solely for the nhl, you get into the situation that glendale is in right now, and you're screwed.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
you should build an arena on it's own merits, as winnipeg did and qc is planning. If the NHL comes, great. If not, fine, you wernt counting on it.

If you build an arena solely for the nhl, you get into the situation that glendale is in right now, and you're screwed.

Glendale is in that situation because the arena is in Glendale and not downtown Phoenix.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't think Balsille is done with NHL. or the NHL is done with him because I don't know if you herd but last year RIM. became one of the NHL's biggest sponsers & if Balsille was truly done with the NHL. he would apealed the judges rulling all the way to the highest court in the land & he also would of sued the NHL. & Bettman \ Daliy for slander & defamation of character & also would of pulled all sponsership RIM. had with the NHL. then & only then I would of said he was done but he didn't you know why because he wants another crack at bringing an NHL. team to Hamilton.

RIM has a board of directors and investors ,, Balsille cant just pull RIM sponsership and partnership with NHL because he doesn't liek NHL

And the Supreme Court would have ruled in favor of NHL ,,, Balsille had no case nor would he have case for Slander/Defamation

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If Hamilton hasn't got a stadium, nor an owner and their ticket rush did little to generate on the marketing scale for the AHL, how do you expect them to compete on the NHL? Quebec is a much more fancied city and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get the next spot if there is one.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
If Hamilton hasn't got a stadium, nor an owner and their ticket rush did little to generate on the marketing scale for the AHL, how do you expect them to compete on the NHL?.
Stadium needs a little work. So we do have one, as for owner .. Doubt there would be trouble finding an owner for a team in S/O.
Ohh and lol @ AHL

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Stadium needs a little work. So we do have one, as for owner .. Doubt there would be trouble finding an owner for a team in S/O.
Ohh and lol @ AHL
You have to build a new one. The NHL said it is out of date.

Yeah keep lol at the AHL ryan. Manitoba's 10k just landed an NHL team. Hamilton has nothing.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
Suggesting Copps' is not exactly NHL ready is correct; suggesting it cant be made NHL ready, & rather quickly at that, is completely & utterly false. Its a 1980's built but 1990's generation building that can easily be built out from within in order to accommodate expanded media, concessions & the like. Games could be played there immediately as renovations are ongoing without a blip.

I was at Copp's on Friday night to watch the Bulldogs/ Aeros game. It had been a while since I'd been there, and it is nowhere near ready for an NHL team.

It's a great building to watch a game in, but hasn't aged well. Aside from just being really run-down ( those sticky floors! yuck! ) there's no real "luxury boxes" to speak of and the scoreboard is brutal.

The Bathrooms were spacious though.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I was at Copp's on Friday night to watch the Bulldogs/ Aeros game. It had been a while since I'd been there, and it is nowhere near ready for an NHL team.

It's a great building to watch a game in, but hasn't aged well. Aside from just being really run-down ( those sticky floors! yuck! ) there's no real "luxury boxes" to speak of and the scoreboard is brutal.

The Bathrooms were spacious though.

We got that scoreboard from Winnipeg.. Lol

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
RIM has a board of directors and investors ,, Balsille cant just pull RIM sponsership and partnership with NHL because he doesn't liek NHL

And the Supreme Court would have ruled in favor of NHL ,,, Balsille had no case nor would he have case for Slander/Defamation

Yes he did the NHL. was spreading rumors about him that where not true because the NHL. could not dig up any dirt on him in order to discredit him as owner .

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
If Hamilton hasn't got a stadium, nor an owner and their ticket rush did little to generate on the marketing scale for the AHL, how do you expect them to compete on the NHL? Quebec is a much more fancied city and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get the next spot if there is one.

What have you been smoking they have Copps Coliseum that was built with future renovations in mind & as for a owners well you got Balsille , Gaglardi & several other ownership groups that want to put a team in Hamilton & the NHL. has said Hamilton would be the 5th largest (richest) market in the NHL. . Quebec City is know where ready they have 60 year old arena that is falling apart & also have not got all the funding they need for the new arena that they want .

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
What have you been smoking they have Copps Coliseum that was built with future renovations in mind & as for a owners well you got Balsille , Gaglardi & several other ownership groups that want to put a team in Hamilton & the NHL. has said Hamilton would be the 5th largest (richest) market in the NHL. . Quebec City is know where ready they have 60 year old arena that is falling apart & also have not got all the funding they need for the new arena that they want .
Why do you keep repeating this lie. Quebec City has been funded buy the City and Province. Where is all the money for upgrades for Copps coming from.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/02/10/quebec-arena-announcement.html

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario

FIRE & SAFTEY CODES you gotta be kidding me since when has Gary Bettman become a building inspector if all that was true Copps Coliseum would not be able opperate just one excuse after another . Copps Coliseum had future renovation in mind when they where designing Copps & 100 million dollar reno could extend Copps Coliseum's life for another 60 years & also can be done with out closing the arena .

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
None of those are answers to what I asked..
I've never heard or read anything from the NHL saying a renovated copps would not do. What they have said is that copps in it's present state is not up to snuff

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Why do you keep repeating this lie. Quebec City has been funded buy the City and Province. Where is all the money for upgrades for Copps coming from.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/02/10/quebec-arena-announcement.html

The only reason Winnipeg got to the front of the line when comes getting an NHL. team was David Thompson because there was no way that Mark Chipman & TNSE. could of done it with out him . I don't see Quebec City makeing any offer right now to buy & move a team there my guess is they are going to wait a few years until there new arena is bulit rather than play in the one they have now . What is your problem with Hamilton getting an NHL. team ? .

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The only reason Winnipeg got to the front of the line when comes getting an NHL. team was David Thompson because there was no way that Mark Chipman & TNSE. could of done it with out him . I don't see Quebec City makeing any offer right now to buy & move a team there my guess is they are going to wait a few years until there new arena is bulit rather than play in the one they have now . What is your problem with Hamilton getting an NHL. team ? .
I don't have one. Hamilton does not have one. I have a problem with you putting down QC when they have done all that.
The team would play in the colisee until the new arena was built
And tell me how is the NHL team going to solve any of Hamiltons other problems? And what is wrong with the Leafs. And why do you care if Toronto or Detroit gets a second team.

Quebecor is in talks right now
http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/139977-report-quebecor-in-talks-with-nhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad