Hamilton Bulldogs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Was watching the game last night as a Niagara fan. You guys look pretty good. My question is why the building looks so empty?

Because Copps holds 17,000 people and getting 1/4 of that to a Bulldogs game is a great night on the best days.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Because Copps holds 17,000 people and getting 1/4 of that to a Bulldogs game is a great night on the best days.
I know it holds a lot of people. I don't expect 17000 there. I would expect between 5000 and 6000 a game. I figured hockey would a bigger draw in Hamilton. Even back to the AHL days, it wasn't a draw.

Reactions: three dog night

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I know it holds a lot of people. I don't expect 17000 there. I would expect between 5000 and 6000 a game. I figured hockey would a bigger draw in Hamilton. Even back to the AHL days, it wasn't a draw.

Attendance last night was 3, 764. While not 5 or 6k, it's still not terrible at all. The lower bowl is just so huge that even almost 4000 people looks like the place is empty.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Attendance last night was 3, 764. While not 5 or 6k, it's still not terrible at all. The lower bowl is just so huge that even almost 4000 people looks like the place is empty.
I didn't say it was terrible. I'm more curious on why hockey has never been a huge draw in Hamilton. It's not just Hamilton there is other OHL cities that don't draw well either.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Even in the championship season they didn't draw really big crowds til the final.

It's disappointing. Jr A hockey is such a good product. I just wish the city promoted it more. There are a few other factors eg location etc... but I would like to see it much higher.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Was nice to see a lot of fellow Hamilton fans in Niagara last night.

Team looked pretty good. The PK is super solid right now. PP is a bit of a mess.

Really surprised Niagara just couldn't get a goal last night. They had long periods of getting so many chances.

The White-Romeo pair really struggles to get out of their own end. Hopefully Romeo can adjust to the pace of the league quickly.

3 in 4 days this coming week/weekend. Looking forward to it. Hope we see Winterton soon.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Team looked pretty good. The PK is super solid right now. PP is a bit of a mess.

Really surprised Niagara just couldn't get a goal last night. They had long periods of getting so many chances.

The White-Romeo pair really struggles to get out of their own end. Hopefully Romeo can adjust to the pace of the league quickly.

3 in 4 days this coming week/weekend. Looking forward to it. Hope we see Winterton soon.

I almost made the trip. Wish that I had.

Agree about the PK. I always complain about the easy zone entry that they allow, but after that they have been solid.

Also agree about Romeo and White. I think that they will be ok eventually. I think that White had so much success in the preseason that he is a bit overconfident with the puck right now. If he can settle down a bit he will be fine and he needs to be because he is supposed to anchor that pair with a rookie on the other side. I really like Romeos agression and play in front of his own net, but he needs to improve on the rest. The good thing is that they have enough depth that they can bring him along slowly.

Seems like I say this every post, but George Diaco again got it done. That line with Morrison has been great.

Imo, Mysak hasn't found his game yet. I would be tempted to try somebody else in place of Hayes, but I wouldn't do it til they lose a game. Don't mess with a streak.lol

I thought that goaltending would be the biggest question mark for this team and they have been great so far.

Hopefully they can get 2 of these 3 games this weekend.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019

Romeo should be one of the 'better adjusted' at this stage. Unlike most players in the OHL he had the benefit of playing in the Erie showcase followed by 2+ weeks at the Senators rookie and main camps. Early days, but not a great sign. And you can bet he was all-in on his training from the NHL draft through to rookie camp.

Reactions: Jawk

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Romeo should be one of the 'better adjusted' at this stage. Unlike most players in the OHL he had the benefit of playing in the Erie showcase followed by 2+ weeks at the Senators rookie and main camps. Early days, but not a great sign. And you can bet he was all-in on his training from the NHL draft through to rookie camp.

Agreed, it's not a great sign. Luckily Hamilton has enough depth on D to weather the storm. 6 goals allowed in 4 games isn't too shabby.

Reactions: dirty12

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Looks like the boys are turning some heads. The new CHL rankings have them ranked 7th in Canada.

Small trade today for Hamilton.

To Hamilton-Brenden Anderson

To Kitchener-10th rd pick in 2022

Don't know anything about him. Big kid, looks like a depth move. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but maybe Winterton is out for awhile?

Last edited:

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Looks like the boys are turning some heads. The new CHL rankings have them ranked 7th in Canada.

Small trade today for Hamilton.

To Hamilton-Brenden Anderson

To Kitchener-10th rd pick in 2022

Don't know anything about him. Big kid, looks like a depth move. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but maybe Winterton is out for awhile?

I'm looking around for something on Anderson. Other than "big" I'm not sure we should expect too much.

My guess is they just want to shelter some of the younger wingers down the lineup. Thomas and Nelson have been used very sparingly.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm looking around for something on Anderson. Other than "big" I'm not sure we should expect too much.

My guess is they just want to shelter some of the younger wingers down the lineup. Thomas and Nelson have been used very sparingly.

Agreed, I don't expect much. Probably just taking a chance and trying to give somebody else a look.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
A couple of late turnovers by White and Mysak ruined what was otherwise a solid, but unspectacular game.

No Grushnikov. Only 5 D. I thought that White had an excellent game except for the key turnover of course.

New line combos. Mutter-Duarte-Sherk was probably their best line.

They left Morrisons line in tact since they've been on fire. Unfortunately they didn't do a lot last night.

I would think that Winterton will probably plug in on the first line when he gets back with Hayes and Mysak. Mysak has really been disappointing so far. It's still very early though, so hopefully it's just a hangover from NHL training camp.

I thought that Coe dominated the game on the North Bay side.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
A couple of late turnovers by White and Mysak ruined what was otherwise a solid, but unspectacular game.

No Grushnikov. Only 5 D. I thought that White had an excellent game except for the key turnover of course.

New line combos. Mutter-Duarte-Sherk was probably their best line.

They left Morrisons line in tact since they've been on fire. Unfortunately they didn't do a lot last night.

I would think that Winterton will probably plug in on the first line when he gets back with Hayes and Mysak. Mysak has really been disappointing so far. It's still very early though, so hopefully it's just a hangover from NHL training camp.

I thought that Coe dominated the game on the North Bay side.

Happen to see why Moore couldn't be used as the 6th D? Finding injury updates with this team is frustrating.

Good to see Mutter moved off Mysaks wing. That line has nothing going, they need to get him (Mysak) going. Be nice to have a timeline on Winterton.

Last night was frustrating. Good enough to win and it slips away with some brain cramps. That's junio hockey. On to tonight.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Happen to see why Moore couldn't be used as the 6th D? Finding injury updates with this team is frustrating.

Good to see Mutter moved off Mysaks wing. That line has nothing going, they need to get him (Mysak) going. Be nice to have a timeline on Winterton.

Last night was frustrating. Good enough to win and it slips away with some brain cramps. That's junio hockey. On to tonight.

Ya, I'm wondering why Moore didn't make the trip. Maybe Grushnikov was a late scratch?

Mutter has really improved his skating, but it just didn't work on Mysaks line. If that 3rd line can play like they did last night it will be a big help.

Our foward group isn't that great imo. The mobility of our D is what really drives this team.

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Sudbury fan her and thought I would provide a report for those he did not see it. Your team did not distinguish themselves tonight. I know it was a rookie goalie , he could have better however got little help. Short 9ne d and two games in two days it showed. Don't know enough about your roster, although I assume some of the missing were key guys. Mysak and Morrison are names I recognized and I watched them and they did nothing. Sherk may have been most productive. The new guy Anderson sure is tall and gangly, can't say he made any other impression though.It's a long season I am sure we will see better next time.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Sudbury fan her and thought I would provide a report for those he did not see it. Your team did not distinguish themselves tonight. I know it was a rookie goalie , he could have better however got little help. Short 9ne d and two games in two days it showed. Don't know enough about your roster, although I assume some of the missing were key guys. Mysak and Morrison are names I recognized and I watched them and they did nothing. Sherk may have been most productive. The new guy Anderson sure is tall and gangly, can't say he made any other impression though.It's a long season I am sure we will see better next time.

Ya, by far their worst game of the season. Malboeuf was bad, but definitely wasn't the reason that they lost.

Could see it coming. Lots of travel the last few days. Back to back games with 5 D. The missing D is a first pair D as well.

Bottom line is that our forward group hasn't been good enough so far. We really rely on our active D to initiate offense and when they don't do it we struggle. We really need Mysak to find his game. When he was 17 he was an obvious factor and I expect that at some point it will happen this year.

Best to just try to forget this one and move on.

Need Ryan Winterton back in the lineup to see what this forward group will really look like.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Does anyone know when the deadline is that the Bulldogs can no longer carry 4 overage guys on the roster, they have to reduce to 3 at some point (i know they can only dress 3 right now already)?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Does anyone know when the deadline is that the Bulldogs can no longer carry 4 overage guys on the roster, they have to reduce to 3 at some point (i know they can only dress 3 right now already)?

You're right. They can only dress 3. I can't remember the date that they have to reduce from 4 to 3 on the roster, but I think it's about a month into the season. Not positive about that though.

It will almost certainly be Liam Van Loon that is cut unless there is an injury. He hasn't played in a game yet and Kammerer, Staios and Mutter are all pretty big parts of the team.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Gutsy win in Mississauga to get the split on their 4 game road trip yesterday.

Add Logan Morrison to the list of players missing (illness, not covid related). They played with only 5 D and 11 Forwards.

Costantini was outstanding in net and has cemented himself as the starter I would think.

I continue to be impressed with the mobility of our D as a group. They were flying up and down the ice yesterday.

I really like Jorian Donovans game. So many people trashed Staios for going off the board in the first rd to select him, but Donovan is proving him right.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You're right. They can only dress 3. I can't remember the date that they have to reduce from 4 to 3 on the roster, but I think it's about a month into the season. Not positive about that though.

It will almost certainly be Liam Van Loon that is cut unless there is an injury. He hasn't played in a game yet and Kammerer, Staios and Mutter are all pretty big parts of the team.

down to 4 by nov 15, down to 3 at the oa trade deadline in january

Reactions: Rounder8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad