Hamilton Bulldogs 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Interesting seeing Bertuzzi traded. Early into preseason I thought it was a toss-up with most of the OAs as to who stays and goes. Not surprised about the trade since the odds of OAs having a spot is 50/50. With the lack of preseason starts, I wondered if he was maybe being shopped. I liked Bertuzzi on the team and it sucks to see him go but in terms of offence, the Bulldogs will be just fine.

Mutter is the main OA I don’t expect to make it past November when teams need to trim down to 3 OAs from 4. There’s not doubt how beneficial his physical presence is and the energy he brings, but in my opinion he doesn’t have the versatility in his game to play in a variety of situations. I’d like to see him make it as part of the 4 OAs to November but we’ll see…

Like Bertuzzi, Roy seems to also not be getting preseason starts lately. For about a week I’ve been wondering if they’re keeping him out of games to avoid injury and shop him. I have mixed feelings about the possibility. He’s a good goalie and a tandem with Costantini would be solid for a playoff run, but who knows what Staios has in mind. Whatever Staios decides, I trust him.

I too think Morrison is most likely to be captain. However, I think another strong contender is Jan Mysak, who quickly fit in with the team and captained the Czech Republic at the World Juniors, and likely will again this year.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Mysak definitely showed leadership in the short time that he was here. I just think that the guys know Morrison better.

I can't wait to see Mysak. He showed flashes of dominance as a 17 yr old. Who knows what he will be like now. I love how fearless he is when he goes to the net.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Talk about a plot twist with the captaincy lol. Generally players play a large role in deciding their leadership, so I think it’s safe to say that they think highly of Kammerer.

I think this leadership foreshadows the OA situation too. Kammerer, Mutter, and Staios are likely here to stay. Unfortunately either Van Loon and Roy could be one of the OAs leaving today or tomorrow (whenever teams have to trim down to 4)

Reactions: Rounder8 and LDN

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Talk about a plot twist with the captaincy lol. Generally players play a large role in deciding their leadership, so I think it’s safe to say that they think highly of Kammerer.

I think this leadership foreshadows the OA situation too. Kammerer, Mutter, and Staios are likely here to stay. Unfortunately either Van Loon and Roy could be one of the OAs leaving today or tomorrow (whenever teams have to trim down to 4)

I believe Roy has already been waived. The season roster is now available on the Bulldogs site.

Roy is not listed. Malboeuf, Constantini, and Drobac are the 3 listed.

Van Loon is among the forwards to start the year.

Reactions: Rounder8 and LDN

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Yep, didn't see that coming. We aren't in the room though, so our guesses can't be that educated I guess.

Looks like Van Loon will be odd man out to start the year. Like Canadian Game said, that group seems to have really cleared up the OA situation.

Hopefully Mutter can add some offense to his game this year. He is going to be scary for teams to play against. He was destroying kids 2 yrs ago with his hits. I'm assuming that he's bigger and stronger now.

Can't wait for the weekend. I think that this team has a chance to be pretty damn good.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
First game impressions...

Van Loon is odd man out as is to be expected with the announced leadership group.

Costantini had a very solid game. The broadcast wasn't the greatest so it's hard to to really see everything. Can't wait to see them in person.

Our D group is going to be very solid. I thought that Donovan and Grushnikov struggled in their first few shifts (to be expected), but got very strong as the game went on. Romeo struggled a bit imo, but was still solid.

Up front...Mutter appears to be much faster than a few years ago. Was surprised to see him on the first line last night. He needs to stay out of the box , even though I thought that both penalties were a bit of a weak call.

Mysak looks very good, which we knew that he would. I was hoping to see more improvement from Avery Hayes, but I haven't so far.

George Diaco continues to be a wild card on this team for me. Going into the pre season I wasn't even sure if he would be more than a 4th liner, but he is flying and handling the puck with incredible confidence. What a pleasant surprise.

Morrison was solid as always and they will need him to score this year. His shot is sneaky good, and he has a very high hockey IQ.

I thought that the rookies looked good. Glad that they went with more size the past few years. Pharand is going to be very good.

Anybody know why Winterton wasn't in the lineup?

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
First game impressions...

Van Loon is odd man out as is to be expected with the announced leadership group.

Costantini had a very solid game. The broadcast wasn't the greatest so it's hard to to really see everything. Can't wait to see them in person.

Our D group is going to be very solid. I thought that Donovan and Grushnikov struggled in their first few shifts (to be expected), but got very strong as the game went on. Romeo struggled a bit imo, but was still solid.

Up front...Mutter appears to be much faster than a few years ago. Was surprised to see him on the first line last night. He needs to stay out of the box , even though I thought that both penalties were a bit of a weak call.

Mysak looks very good, which we knew that he would. I was hoping to see more improvement from Avery Hayes, but I haven't so far.

George Diaco continues to be a wild card on this team for me. Going into the pre season I wasn't even sure if he would be more than a 4th liner, but he is flying and handling the puck with incredible confidence. What a pleasant surprise.

Morrison was solid as always and they will need him to score this year. His shot is sneaky good, and he has a very high hockey IQ.

I thought that the rookies looked good. Glad that they went with more size the past few years. Pharand is going to be very good.

Anybody know why Winterton wasn't in the lineup?

When you say the broadcast wasn't the greatest, do you mean the stream constantly buffering and lagging? Trying to figure out if the issue I was experiencing was on their end or mine.

I thought I heard the broadcast say one of the 4th liners was a late lineup add, maybe Winterton couldn't go at the last minute? Hoping everything is good there.

Very excited to be in the building tonight, should be a good test against Barrie. Very much looking forward to seeing some regulars that are around me that I haven't seen in a year and a half.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Bulldogs look like a good team this year. Only early questions for me are if Constantini can be an elite goalie (looked good last night) and if Mutter can not do dumb things to hurt the team (certainly was not able to do that last night)

Reactions: Roadhog

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Bulldogs look like a good team this year. Only early questions for me are if Constantini can be an elite goalie (looked good last night) and if Mutter can not do dumb things to hurt the team (certainly was not able to do that last night)

Agree on both of those things. I thought the calls were weak, but the call on Jesus was weak as well. I guess the refs were consistent at least.lol

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
When you say the broadcast wasn't the greatest, do you mean the stream constantly buffering and lagging? Trying to figure out if the issue I was experiencing was on their end or mine.

I thought I heard the broadcast say one of the 4th liners was a late lineup add, maybe Winterton couldn't go at the last minute? Hoping everything is good there.

Very excited to be in the building tonight, should be a good test against Barrie. Very much looking forward to seeing some regulars that are around me that I haven't seen in a year and a half.

Yeah, it was lagging a bit for me too. Some camera angles were fine and others weren't. Can't wait for tonight as well! With them giving away 2000 seats there should be a very big crowd there. It should be jumping.

Rossmore

Oct 9, 2021
Looking forward to seeing how the Bulldogs do this season. So far I am really disappointed to see that Van Loon has not been given an opportunity. I saw him fill the net in his younger days and I bet if he was given the chance he could do it again. He is an extremely hard worker and I cannot believe that he is not playing as of yet. He was snake- bitten in the previous season. This guy was good enough to sometimes play with Kaliyev. Van Loon deserves a chance.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Looking forward to seeing how the Bulldogs do this season. So far I am really disappointed to see that Van Loon has not been given an opportunity. I saw him fill the net in his younger days and I bet if he was given the chance he could do it again. He is an extremely hard worker and I cannot believe that he is not playing as of yet. He was snake- bitten in the previous season. This guy was good enough to sometimes play with Kaliyev. Van Loon deserves a chance.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The only guy that I see Van Loon possibly going in for is Mutter and I think that Mutter brings much more to the table.imo

Reactions: Jawk

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
What a game last night. Great comeback. The building was electric in the 3rd period.

A few things that I noticed. Our special teams need work for sure. Hopefully the boys will gel because they haven't had much time together at all.

On the PK they are backing in way to much. The zone entry was just too easy for Barrie on the PP.

They have to cut down on penalties. I think a few were soft calls, but Mutter has to find a way to stay out of the box. Really dumb retaliation penalty by Humphrey to negate a PP in the 3rd period.

Some bad turnovers in their own end as well.

It will be interesting to see the lines when Winterton is back.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
The only guy that I see Van Loon possibly going in for is Mutter and I think that Mutter brings much more to the table.imo

Completely agree with this. Van Loon adds something to the PK, his speed is always a factor in creating possible chances, but he doesn't generate much else.

Mutter is creating space with his net front presence, opponents are always aware when he is on the ice, and he actually looks like he can keep up with everyone. He hits so hard it feels like he is going to take penalties just because it looks like he is murdering people, even if its actually clean.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
What a game last night. Great comeback. The building was electric in the 3rd period.

A few things that I noticed. Our special teams need work for sure. Hopefully the boys will gel because they haven't had much time together at all.

On the PK they are backing in way to much. The zone entry was just too easy for Barrie on the PP.

They have to cut down on penalties. I think a few were soft calls, but Mutter has to find a way to stay out of the box. Really dumb retaliation penalty by Humphrey to negate a PP in the 3rd period.

Some bad turnovers in their own end as well.

It will be interesting to see the lines when Winterton is back.

Allowed zone entries on the PK looks like it needs work. In general it seems like they are going to be very passive on the PK. I'm not a fan of playing the diamond when short, but we'll see how that goes after they get some reps under their belt.

Zone exits were for sure a fire drill. Barrie was really pressuring the D and they weren't reading the correct play quick enough. Romeo really struggles with pressure.

Good on the kids. They really could have folded at 4-1.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Any STHs frustrated with the line at group sales last night? I got there early, and use digital tickets on my phone, so I would have just jumped out of line and gone in if I got too close to game time, BUT that had to suck for some people that cant figure out digital tickets and actually had no choice but to wait.

Seriously, office should have been an option for pick up before yesterday.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Any STHs frustrated with the line at group sales last night? I got there early, and use digital tickets on my phone, so I would have just jumped out of line and gone in if I got too close to game time, BUT that had to suck for some people that cant figure out digital tickets and actually had no choice but to wait.

Seriously, office should have been an option for pick up before yesterday.

I was able to figure mine out, but if I couldn't it would have been frustrating for sure. There are a lot of older season ticket holders that probably struggle with the digital tickets.

I agree about Romeo struggling with pressure. He's young though and should find his way. Size and aggression are 2 things that he has and those are important for a Dman.

The team showed a lot of heart though. If that game doesn't bring fans back I'm not sure what will.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Big weekend for the Bulldogs! Ice Dogs are tough so games should be great viewing with great rising stars...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Bulldogs with a balanced attack are winning 4-0. This looks like a very good team!

Reactions: Jawk

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
It will be interesting to see where Ryan Winterton plugs into the lines when he gets healthy.

If this team gets goaltending like they did tonight they will be tough to beat.

Grushnikov looks like the real deal. George Diaco continues to be a very pleasant surprise.

Negatives-Too many penalties again and despite getting a SH goal the zone entry continues to be way to easy vs their PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad