Hamilton Bulldogs 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I know that sometimes we like to say that if the Bulldogs had a new arena, game attendance would be higher. But how do we know that for sure? IIRC there were only around 6 OHL teams that had an attendance of above 4000+ last season (Hamilton was one of them)

While there are no guarantees, one would have to assume the single most common complaint about the Bulldogs (being arena size) being addressed will help more then it will hurt. Additionally, without question any new arena will have the new arena shine to it, which will attract more fans for at least the first two seasons. That's a well documented fact that new facilities draw new attendance. Keeping them is up to the Bulldogs which is why Andlauer's plan makes more sense to me, since he's handling the maintenance costs of such a facility.

Reactions: Helvigster

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
While there are no guarantees, one would have to assume the single most common complaint about the Bulldogs (being arena size) being addressed will help more then it will hurt. Additionally, without question any new arena will have the new arena shine to it, which will attract more fans for at least the first two seasons. That's a well documented fact that new facilities draw new attendance. Keeping them is up to the Bulldogs which is why Andlauer's plan makes more sense to me, since he's handling the maintenance costs of such a facility.

Agreed, and with that initial surge in attendance those fans will be part of a much better atmosphere to watch a game. It certainly won't hurt future attendance.

I firmly believe that if this arena gets built Hamilton has a chance to be a premier franchise in the OHL.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The Kings have already sent Kaliyev back to the Bulldogs. Hopefully Jenik gets sent back. He is having a strong camp with Arizona apparently.

If he doesn't get sent back it would be very bad news for Hamilton.

Reactions: Quack

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I know that sometimes we like to say that if the Bulldogs had a new arena, game attendance would be higher. But how do we know that for sure? IIRC there were only around 6 OHL teams that had an attendance of above 4000+ last season (Hamilton was one of them)
The attendance numbers for the regular season are a bit skewed because the numbers include comp tickets, and Hamilton gives a lot of free tickets. Filling the FOC for 2 school day games also boosts the average more than other arenas with smaller capacities.

Overall I think that attendance would increase and the Bulldogs' image would improve further by having a new arena in a safe, clean, and inviting area, if better parking options were available, and they had a more intimate atmosphere with a smaller capacity. I think the first point about having an arena in a the safe, clean, and inviting area is among the most critically important needs. Nothing against some of the people in the area but a lot of sketchy stuff happens outside the arena for people like families with kids, women, and seniors, they are the most likely to avoid these sorts of environments. Personally, when walking to games I've witnessed drug deals, public urination, tent cities against the side of the FOC, and open drug use. This is all in the short span of walking from the parking lot to the arena. I also know for fact from talking to a former Bulldog that some of the players don't feel safe late at night when the team bus arrives from away games in the middle of the night and they have to walk to their cars. The don't park in the underground garage. Many park in the garage across from the Hamilton City Centre.

Building an arena is more than just increasing attendance though. For Andlauer to build his own, he can build a top-notch training and workout room, video coaching room, recreation area for the players, dressing rooms, etc for the players. Plus there's all of the areas for trainers, coaches, and of course the fans. If a team can offer state of the art amenities to players, be known for development, and have a good billet program, they have a better change or attracting top players including import players, which helps build the brand, and fill the arenas more. Oshawa is known for doing an excellent job with offering top-end amenities for its players and staff, and just did a big renovation this summer. I would imagine London does as well based on how highly regarded they are and for the top-end players they attract, and I fully believe this is a big part of Michael Andlauer's vision for the Bulldogs.

Plus if something breaks down in his own arena or need renovating, Andlauer can do it at his own will without having to wait for the city to approve its own budget.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Looks like Hamilton might lose Morrison for awhile on a headshot. Sure looked like a concussion. Tough way to start the year.

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
Nothing eh? well it was a terrible game anyway

Bulldogs lose 8-5. now before digiblader comes in and tells us the season is over or some other nonsense, let's look at the good side of things. the Bulldogs, despite only having maybe 20 shots by the end of the game, did score goals. Roy, despite that one mistake he had, played pretty good in goal despite the defence leaving him hung to dry. so, despite a terrible game, there were some positives

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Another positive is that Avery Hayes is noticably less timid and stronger this year. He has thrown more hits in 2 games than he did all last year. Morrisons injury is giving him time on the top line and last night he sure took advantage of it.

Everybody is crapping on our D, but it was a horrible defensive team effort too. Lots of odd man rushes.

We need to stay out of the box as well. The guys had a strong 3rd period after being absolutely dominated the first 2. Unfortunately Roys turnover killed the momentum. He is good at handling the puck, but there was no need for it on that play.

I have to say that this was the first time that I saw Bertuzzi play live and I wasn't impressed. Hopefully it was just an off night.

Injuries are already piling up with Nurse, Morrison and most likely Mutter out now.

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
The city wants the arena downtown because of the somewhat redevelopment going on down there with new condos being built and trying to get tourists down here, and finally, trying to make it accessible for the majority of the city's population living in the old city (around 250k I think).

What city council doesn't realize is that the area around FOC is not the safest, and if you live in the old city like me, is also not the place where you won't be able to go without at least one encounter.

Even though I live around 15 minutes away from the arena, I still take a taxi to get home. When walking to the arena to get to the game, usually I'll come across drunkards, people engaging in a drug deal, the unfortunate saying "hey can you spare some change?", people walking up to you just to say dumb stuff, and sometimes people who look like they're about to jump you.

City Council wants the new arena to be in Downtown, but... the problems that may already prevent fans from actually going to the games are still there. There would still be attendance issues. No one wants to go out when they feel like they're unsafe. The new arena being in Downtown is basically the same FOC except smaller and will last longer.

Well what about Limeridge? That area is safe because it's mostly residential, and relatively inaccessible for the average clown you'll see near FOC. It's more accessible for people on the mountain, and in turn, the people on the mountain are wealthier compared to the people in the old city. Wealthier = more tickets bought.

Look, take it from me. I live down in the old city. There's places that are run down. There's places where you don't feel safe. There's places that you'll just stay away from. Crime has gone up in the past year. Not a safe environment for the players if you ask me. The mountain, in turn, is a lot more safer and a lot more prettier. Unless you have ties to the Italian Mafia, you have a much lower chance of being jumped or attacked living on the mountain compared to the old city.

City Council would rather add to the problem than to fix it. Andlauer knows how to get stuff done. If City Council really wants the arena to be downtown, maybe they should work on making it a safer place for the players and spectators alike.

And if the arena gets built on the mountain and you live in the old city? Yeah, tough luck for you (unless you drive or take the bus), but it is what it is. The Bulldogs are going to want to play in an area where the people are wealthy and can afford season tickets, not in an area where the average person is barely holding on to life.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The city wants the arena downtown because of the somewhat redevelopment going on down there with new condos being built and trying to get tourists down here, and finally, trying to make it accessible for the majority of the city's population living in the old city (around 250k I think).

What city council doesn't realize is that the area around FOC is not the safest, and if you live in the old city like me, is also not the place where you won't be able to go without at least one encounter.

Even though I live around 15 minutes away from the arena, I still take a taxi to get home. When walking to the arena to get to the game, usually I'll come across drunkards, people engaging in a drug deal, the unfortunate saying "hey can you spare some change?", people walking up to you just to say dumb stuff, and sometimes people who look like they're about to jump you.

City Council wants the new arena to be in Downtown, but... the problems that may already prevent fans from actually going to the games are still there. There would still be attendance issues. No one wants to go out when they feel like they're unsafe. The new arena being in Downtown is basically the same FOC except smaller and will last longer.

Well what about Limeridge? That area is safe because it's mostly residential, and relatively inaccessible for the average clown you'll see near FOC. It's more accessible for people on the mountain, and in turn, the people on the mountain are wealthier compared to the people in the old city. Wealthier = more tickets bought.

Look, take it from me. I live down in the old city. There's places that are run down. There's places where you don't feel safe. There's places that you'll just stay away from. Crime has gone up in the past year. Not a safe environment for the players if you ask me. The mountain, in turn, is a lot more safer and a lot more prettier. Unless you have ties to the Italian Mafia, you have a much lower chance of being jumped or attacked living on the mountain compared to the old city.

City Council would rather add to the problem than to fix it. Andlauer knows how to get stuff done. If City Council really wants the arena to be downtown, maybe they should work on making it a safer place for the players and spectators alike.

And if the arena gets built on the mountain and you live in the old city? Yeah, tough luck for you (unless you drive or take the bus), but it is what it is. The Bulldogs are going to want to play in an area where the people are wealthy and can afford season tickets, not in an area where the average person is barely holding on to life.

Agree with all of this. City council needs to realize that the real choice in locations might be between Limeridge and Burlington.

Reactions: Helvigster

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Arizona has sent Jan Jenik back to Hamilton. Great news for the team!
Thank goodness! The way a few Erie players targeted Kaliyev last night (hence Van Loon instigating the fight with Henry), it’s great that we’ll have some sandpaper on the top line. Plus obviously Jenik’s offensive skill set.

With Jenik being away and Morrison getting injured on Friday, our middle had got thin fast.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Thank goodness! The way a few Erie players targeted Kaliyev last night (hence Van Loon instigating the fight with Henry), it’s great that we’ll have some sandpaper on the top line. Plus obviously Jenik’s offensive skill set.

With Jenik being away and Morrison getting injured on Friday, our middle had got thin fast.

For sure and when Nurse gets back they will have even more grit. They will need it depending on how badly Mutter is hurt.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I was at that game, and I'm kind of glad we don't have to play Sarnia again for a while, not because they seemed awesome on the ice, but they were a physical team playing Bruins style hockey. The old, you might win the battle, but you'll lose the war with the physical toll we'll put on you. Rees is likely going to get several games for that hit, given this is a repeat offense. Frankly, I'd like to see 8 games for that hit, but that's not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad