Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
20 years old in November and already got an ELC--he's in the AHL no matter what. Can't return, being a import due to NHL/CHL and AHL rules. It's Binghamton for him no matter what.
Can you explain this a little bit more? I feel like we would have heard about it being Studenic’s last season with us

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Don't worry Bulldogs. You had a good team. Mem cup has turned into a fashion show. 2 years in a row. Host team wins. Both won 0 playoff rounds. Well rested, watch game film. Make adjustments. It's good for the game.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Don't worry Bulldogs. You had a good team. Mem cup has turned into a fashion show. 2 years in a row. Host team wins. Both won 0 playoff rounds. Well rested, watch game film. Make adjustments. It's good for the game.
Regina lost in the final Hamilton offense disappeared in the MC.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
CHL trade window opened today.

Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL just traded for these players from the champion Titan, who are more than likely headed for a major rebuild after their Memorial Cup win, and Halifax is loading up for the 2019 tournament, which they are hosting.

Will we soon see the Bulldogs do the same thing with Entwistle and Strome, knowing the team is likely going to be mediocre to bad next year, and needs to restock the draft cupboard?

Mooseheads acquire Morand, Maher from Memorial Cup champs Titan - Sportsnet.ca

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
CHL trade window opened today.

Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL just traded for these players from the champion Titan, who are more than likely headed for a major rebuild after their Memorial Cup win, and Halifax is loading up for the 2019 tournament, which they are hosting.

Will we soon see the Bulldogs do the same thing with Entwistle and Strome, knowing the team is likely going to be mediocre to bad next year, and needs to restock the draft cupboard?

Mooseheads acquire Morand, Maher from Memorial Cup champs Titan - Sportsnet.ca

I don't think you are going to see a lot of motion by the Bulldogs till the trade deadline unless Staios gets a good deal. He's going to want to have some players who won the OHL Championship on the ice when the banner is hung from the rafters and to capitalize on fan interest from last season, he'll want a playoff bound team (albeit not necessarily a contender) before the big sell happens which I think will lend it towards a better first half of the season, then a second half.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
First of all the Bulldogs have to replace at least 10 players. The good news is that management has known this since January and has had an will have plenty of time to come up with a plan.

It won't be easy. You have to sign four 16 year olds. A couple more from previous drafts and one or two imports. That still leaves you short so you will have to sign a couple of walk-ons. Another way is to trade a player to a team that is willing to give up 2 players.

Anyway you cut it a playoff spot will be considered a success next season.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
As for 16 year olds--Logan Morrison, Michael Renwick and possibly Davis Young are likely to be signed, and maybe Frank Jenkins. No idea on Costantini--but most likely he's in Jr. B next year so he can play regularly.

The possible issue is that some of the 16-year olds may not want to report to Hamilton if they don't feel it as a good market to play in (even despite winning a title), preferring the NCAA route--such as former Bulldogs pick Noah Lugli, who recently went to a RBC Cup with the Wellington Dukes.

I know D'Agostino and Van Loon will be on the roster, but who else?

But yes, there are many holes to fill on this roster, which will require the Bulldogs to pay up on some of their picks to prevent them from committing to NCAA schools and choosing Jr. A or B over playing in the OHL.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
As for 16 year olds--Logan Morrison, Michael Renwick and possibly Davis Young are likely to be signed, and maybe Frank Jenkins. No idea on Costantini--but most likely he's in Jr. B next year so he can play regularly.

The possible issue is that some of the 16-year olds may not want to report to Hamilton if they don't feel it as a good market to play in (even despite winning a title), preferring the NCAA route--such as former Bulldogs pick Noah Lugli, who recently went to a RBC Cup with the Wellington Dukes.

I know D'Agostino and Van Loon will be on the roster, but who else?

But yes, there are many holes to fill on this roster, which will require the Bulldogs to pay up on some of their picks to prevent them from committing to NCAA schools and choosing Jr. A or B over playing in the OHL.

To your second point, I'm skeptical of that being an issue. We have yet to have a single player refuse to report for Hamilton save one import draft player from my understanding.

Foremost, as you've said, we just won the title and will (hopefully) keep the same coaching and management staff intact. There is something to be said about a team who goes from the basement to a champion in the span of three years, and thus far under Gruden, hasn't yet failed to make the playoffs.

Second, Hamilton is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the OHL (after the GTA and Ottawa). That means, any player from the city proper, it's amalgamated communities, or Brantford, Burlington, Grimsby and Caledonia aren't very likely going to refuse to report to the team down the road, both out of pride but also being able to live at home.

Third, apart from Mississauga, Guelph, Hamilton has the least travel average travel distance to the other OHL markets, and apart from them and Oshawa, is the closest market to the massive GTA. That's a huge benefit for the franchise, and even more so since you are also absurdly close to Niagara, Tri-City and reasonably close to London as well, who I am pretty sure make up the 4th, 5th and 6th largest other metros.

Last, one big reason why a player will choose to go to Jr. A or B over the OHL is ice time. A borderline player in the OHL isn't going to see the same amount of ice time on a Jr. A or B team. Generally players who have higher aspirations understand that not getting ice time cam be much more detrimental to their development then playing at a lower level. That said, when an OHL team is in a rebuilding phase, usually ice time gets spread out quite a bit more and suddenly the level of competition for spots isn't as high making it a more appealing prospect.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Caamano has been re-assigned to the Texas Stars (AHL). Hopefully he’ll be in the lineup as the Stars start the Calder Cup Finals today at 4PM. I’ll be tuning in for sure, might have to catch a game in Toronto if I know he’ll be playing.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I hope Caamano gets to play but it won't be easy. The Stars now have 20 forwards on the team and since they only dress 12......

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Nicolas Mattinen is going back to the draft along with Saigeon--Leafs declined to sign Mattinen. Either he comes back to Hamilton as an OA (likely to be traded), or he ends up in another organization.

If he does return--one of Gleason, Hanley or Burnell will be released.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Nicolas Mattinen is going back to the draft along with Saigeon--Leafs declined to sign Mattinen. Either he comes back to Hamilton as an OA (likely to be traded), or he ends up in another organization.

If he does return--one of Gleason, Hanley or Burnell will be released.

I will speak out of ignorance a bit on this one, but I'm to understand that it isn't very common that another team picks up a draft pick that didn't end up signing, which means he's likely back in Junior, and likely half a year with the Dogs, which is ideal in my eyes for all parties. He gets to work on his game some more, the Dogs get a good defenceman which is likely going to be the biggest gap on the team next year, and one who (in my eyes) should be able to be traded for at least the 2nd round conditional pick he's going to cost us if he does stay.

As far as who gets the release, I'm honestly surprised no one has drafted Gleason. He's currently a +21 defenceman and has produced a swath of assists every year he's played on the dogs. It wouldn't shock me if he's off to the AHL next year. If he does stay, I would think it would be Burnell who gets the axe. Strome, Nurse, Kaliyev and Mutter should still be on the team and with little doubt the new draftees Morrison and Young will get minutes which fills up two lines of forwards. That will leave Burnell whose spot just isn't as needed as veteran defence, nevermind if another forward stays.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I was looking at the Guelph thread, which prompted this odd question, which I don't think will be answered until after the draft and we know who is going where. Now that Lemcke is too old to play in the OHL, Robert Thomas off to St. Louis and Brandon Saigeon likely to be drafted, who I would presume would be the heir apparents if they do come back though, who do you feel should get the C next season? I think Gleason if the best choice myself, although Strome and Mattinen could make a case. Your thoughts?

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
I was looking at the Guelph thread, which prompted this odd question, which I don't think will be answered until after the draft and we know who is going where. Now that Lemcke is too old to play in the OHL, Robert Thomas off to St. Louis and Brandon Saigeon likely to be drafted, who I would presume would be the heir apparents if they do come back though, who do you feel should get the C next season? I think Gleason if the best choice myself, although Strome and Mattinen could make a case. Your thoughts?
I don't know why I keep thinking Hanley is an OA but maybe he'll be given the C assuming Saigeon isn't back. It would be kind of weird seeing Strome and Mattinen go right to the C considering they haven't really played that leadership role yet for Hamilton.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Looks like we got a late start at home

Hamilton Bulldogs: Sunday Sept 30 vs Ottawa at 2:00 pm

I really hope for this year an early season game at Owen Sound and a London game on a weekend. It would make getting those two checked off the arena tour list, way way easier.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Any word on Morrison signing? He's one of just 2 1st rounders who havent signed yet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad