Salary Cap: Ham juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nobody wants kuntz, hes trash. Wed have to give a pick for someone to take him and his cap hit.

I know right? I mean he has what... 6 goals and 18 points in his last 26 games (19g/56.7 pt pace). What a piece of ****. :sarcasm:

Look, I'm far from his biggest fan, but Kunitz holds a LOT more value around this league then many (most?) on here would imagine. Again, look at Vinny and Schenn - both who were seen by HF as cap dumps and completely useless players. PHI got a 3rd and a half decent prospect.

If Kunitz was available, Rutherford could move him and he'd get back something he liked. The only reason he's here is because JR isn't trying to trade him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's almost no chance we can both bring in a winger for Crosby and fix the D. We might be able to bring in someone like McGinn who could be a better fit even if he's not a "top 6 winger" and fix the D. Unlikely, as it would probably mean we moved Daley, Cole and Kunitz and signed a couple of UFA's to great contracts, but I guess it's possible.

I think it's really going to come down to how well Pouliot plays down the stretch. If he proves his worth and they are comfortable with him talking over a Top 4 role, then you look for the LW.

If Pouliot struggles, I think you look for the 2nd pairing dman. If you find a young top 4 dman, and draft a couple dmen, you can look to include Pouliot in a package for a similar LW.

Sadly, if Pouliot doesn't excel and find a Top 4 job, I think we are looking at Kunitz being here until the end of his term. :(

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I know right? I mean he has what... 6 goals and 18 points in his last 26 games (19g/56.7 pt pace). What a piece of ****. :sarcasm:

Look, I'm far from his biggest fan, but Kunitz holds a LOT more value around this league then many (most?) on here would imagine. Again, look at Vinny and Schenn - both who were seen by HF as cap dumps and completely useless players. PHI got a 3rd and a half decent prospect.

If Kunitz was available, Rutherford could move him and he'd get back something he liked. The only reason he's here is because JR isn't trying to trade him.

Yeah I'm one of his biggest critics but he definitely has value in this League. There are alwys young teams that would value his experience and leadership. The only reason why I hate him on this team is that he is seen as the only first line LW even if he goes back to his usual (not scoring) form.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I think it's really going to come down to how well Pouliot plays down the stretch. If he proves his worth and they are comfortable with him talking over a Top 4 role, then you look for the LW.

If Pouliot struggles, I think you look for the 2nd pairing dman. If you find a young top 4 dman, and draft a couple dmen, you can look to include Pouliot in a package for a similar LW.

Sadly, if Pouliot doesn't excel and find a Top 4 job, I think we are looking at Kunitz being here until the end of his term. :(

Daley has left another year on his contract. In my opinion he definitely played like a top 4 defenseman with us. The guy logged ~23 minutes last year. I think he gets the reverse Lovejoy treatment. Because we traded pure trash for him he does not get enough credit for his play.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't know what they do.

I mean, there are things they could do to augment things for Sid, but they really don't have the pieces and, I think because of how Sid is going god mode, are lulling themselves into a false sense of complacency yet again about how Sid on a line with Kunitz and a worker will translate against the top defensive teams in the playoffs.

Do you make a move defensively? Same situation as the top six.

That said, I'd look at the mix in the bottom six. I wouldn't make another Winnik type of deal to address it, but I'm afraid JR will.

If you're going to give away ANY assets, do so for long term solutions so the next 4 years, while Sid and Geno are still elite, can be legit contending years.

And the fact is, there are some really, really nice FA forwards that may be available.

Drouin is a pipe dream because others will have more to offer, but say JR pulled it off. I'd probably hate the price paid but I'd at least see the logic behind it in that with Sprong coming up and Phil locked in for years, our top six is finally settled.

No Hamhuis, no Hudler, and no more Winnik/Lovejoy "veterans" unless we're ridding ourselves of our own waste.

IF healthy, the current squad can actually make a little noise and cause trouble for anyone they play in the Conference besides the Caps. Just stick with what you have and gear up for the coming years.

Last edited:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
There's almost no chance we can both bring in a winger for Crosby and fix the D. We might be able to bring in someone like McGinn who could be a better fit even if he's not a "top 6 winger" and fix the D. Unlikely, as it would probably mean we moved Daley, Cole and Kunitz and signed a couple of UFA's to great contracts, but I guess it's possible.

It is possible and JR would have a lot of work to do. As you said Daley, Cole and Kunitz would have to be traded which probably won't be until the off season

One of those positions would have to be a trade for younger, cheaper player (most likely the LW) and the other UFA.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you're going to give away ANY assets, do so for long term solutions so the next 4 years, while Sid and Geno are still elite, can be legit contending years.

And the fact is, there are some really, really nice FA forwards that may be available.

Drouin is a pipe dream because others will have more to offer, but say JR pulled it off. I'd probably hate the price paid but I'd at least see the logic behind it in that with Sprong coming up and Phil locked in for years, our top six is finally settled.

No Hamhuis, no Hudler, and no more Winnik/Lovejoy "veterans" unless we're ridding ourselves of our own waste.

IF healthy, the current squad can actually make a little noise and cause trouble for anyone they play in the Conference besides the Caps. Just stick with what you have and gear up for the coming years.

Agreed.

100% healthy, Sid-Geno-Letang-and most importantly MAF all firing on all cylinders, secondary scoring from Horny, Hagys, and the 4th line...I think we could give the Caps a serious run for their money over a 7 game series. 09 all over again.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Agreed.

100% healthy, Sid-Geno-Letang-and most importantly MAF all firing on all cylinders, secondary scoring from Horny, Hagys, and the 4th line...I think we could give the Caps a serious run for their money over a 7 game series. 09 all over again.

The team is capable of upsetting anyone as is. Kessel getting a look without a star center will be interesting to watch.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Agreed.

I think as is and healthy we have a punchers chance against anyone.

As is right now I would only put Washington, TB and Florida as favorites against us.

A could small hockey deal and I think we could be the legit #2 contender in the East.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only team I think we'd definitely lose to is the Capitals in a playoff series. Any other series could go any way. I can't see us beating the Capitals though, the Pens are worse than the Capitals in almost every single way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pouliot, Kunitz, and Cole out for Schultz and McGinn in...yikes. Not sure I would do that to be honest.

I would do Kunitz for McGinn. Or Cole for McGinn. Don't want Schultz unless its part of a larger package that demands we take him back. Unless it's a Kunitz/Cole for Schultz...

I'd be more interested in Foligno from Buffalo as a long term 3/4LW.

That's a guy I'd love for the Pens to target. Big, physical, will drop the gloves, and can chip in with around 20 or points per year in the bottom six.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Daley has left another year on his contract. In my opinion he definitely played like a top 4 defenseman with us. The guy logged ~23 minutes last year. I think he gets the reverse Lovejoy treatment. Because we traded pure trash for him he does not get enough credit for his play.

My issue with Daley is that I do not like him as a #4D on a shutdown line. And I'm uncomfortable with him defensively to be a #4D on a team that wants to contend.

Which means (for me), you need a better option then him. For me, Demers would be amazing (even at 4.5m).

Maatta (4.2) - Letang (7.25)
Dumoulin (4) - Demers (4.5)

Say 2 years from now. Pouliot would still be a depth D making less than 2m and we'd have a Lovejoy type to round out the 3rd pairing.

Just means that you're probably not spending 6m on a winger for Crosby. Or you give Maatta a bridge (say 2.7m), you have Dumo at 800k next year and you go to town and get the best winger possible this summer, then pray that Daley and Pouliot both do well, that you can move Cole and Kunitz and see what happens.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The only team I think we'd definitely lose to is the Capitals in a playoff series. Any other series could go any way. I can't see us beating the Capitals though, the Pens are worse than the Capitals in almost every single way.

In what areas were we superior in 09?

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqivst
Hagelin-Malkin-Bennett
Fehr-Bonino-Kessel
Rust-Cullen-Porter

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Daley
Pouliot-Lovejoy

MAF
Murray

I dunno...that's not terrible. Requires every player playing their best.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

After the Caps the Eastern conference is pretty wide open and fairly evenly matched. The problem is that the team that makes it to the finals is going to lose to the Western conference team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
TSN like to pump Leafs values.

Yea, they didn't say it would cost a 2nd in the clip.
I just added that bit to the end.

I wouldn't be spending a 3rd even.

Pens have plenty of bottom 6, pk'ing forwards.
Bonino, Fehr, Cullen, Kuhnackl, Rust, Kunitz(heh), Hags.
And behind them Sundqvist, Porter, etc. in WB.

Don't really see the point in a Holland.
Let's just say i hope he's wrong and a terrible guesser.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
[/CENTER

The only center candidates I would look to acquire are dual C/W guys, like Matthias. The biggest need right now is to acquire NHL talent. Our AHL fourth liners don't cut it. Not sure if Sunqvist is ready, need to see more. However, I have seen far too much of Porter, Sheary, and Wilson. I like Rust's speed, but not his Tyler Kennedy like singular focus that the puck is his and I'm shooting it! I have always liked Kuhnhackl, but I fail to see what he gives more than Plotnikov. I firmly believe that Plotnikov would be in the lineup if he spent earlier time at WBS.​

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
When is the point that the Pens get rid of Kessel. I really thought they were going to flip him. They can still make out with more than they gave up.

I would be happy with...
Zucker or Coyle
Scandella
and a 2nd

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why would we get rid of Kessel? Why would anybody think we were going to flip him?

I mean, he's finally starting to get into a good groove and score at a good pace (as is the entire team). Why would we flip him now that he's starting to look like he's adjusted? After starting with 20 points in 36 games, he's had 13 in his last 14.

Last edited:

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
When is the point that the Pens get rid of Kessel. I really thought they were going to flip him. They can still make out with more than they gave up.

I would be happy with...
Zucker or Coyle
Scandella
and a 2nd

Well let's just say I'm pretty happy you don't hold the title of penguins gm...

I've never seen a player as snake bit as Phil was for the first half the season. He easily could have/ should have had another 5-7 goals and 10-15 points, maybe more. I've brought this up before but I'm 99% positive he started using a different stick about 20 games in, for a pure shooter like him that can be a huge diffrence and takes time to adjust to. Having 4 different systems shoved down your throat in 1.5 years can't be easy either.

I'm more than happy with phils performance this year, leaves a bit to be desired on the defensive side of the puck but not everyone can be kopitar.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It sucks that our forwards are hurting and our bottom 6 is filled with AHLers and our second line centred by our 4C. Dupuis done and Plots not working out. We are going to be without for a while longer as well. Too bad it happened when we were on a bit of a roll.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Oh... Totally on board wil how great Kessel has been this year and its only a matter of time before he clicks with Sid or Malkin or Sid AND Malkin lolz. Love that he left all the haterz in the dust and commited to playing a winning style.

The Pens hVe some holes to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad