Salary Cap: Ham juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
FWIW, Peter Holland is playing wing with the Leafs this season. Some right wing but mostly left wing.

I don't want to deal with the Leafs anymore (because they clearly want draft picks and prospects ONLY), but there would be worse acquisitions we could make than Holland IMO.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to deal with the Leafs anymore because their fans are obnoxious as hell and delusional about their players' value. There was a thread last season where they wouldn't do Sutter for Holland straight up, and wanted the Penguins to add. :laugh:

Also, their system is kind of like Bylsma's (not saying Babcock and Bylsma are anything alike, just similar player philosophies because of what Babcock is working with right now) in that it's built to make the hard worker lunchpail heroes look really good. So any players doing well in that role on their team right now, like Komarov, Holland, etc. should be marked buyers beware.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Wow,..Mark Recchi is on Hockey Night in Canada right now. Looks like he is following the Keith Tkachuk retirement diet.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm not judging Kessel on this year. Or any of the other players.

Look at Perron's numbers since leaving. MJ ruined a lot of guys stats.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Watch the third period from last night again. Focus on Kessel. Watch how easy he is to defend... Watch how he curls away from anyone with the puck. His sister plays a more competitive game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Watch the third period from last night again. Focus on Kessel. Watch how easy he is to defend... Watch how he curls away from anyone with the puck. His sister plays a more competitive game.

despite having flaws, he's one of the best scoring wingers in the world. Saying a guy who scores as much as he does is easy to defend is just silly.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Perron still looks like ****. His "numbers" are a product of things like Corey Perry shooting a puck off him as he's falling over or weak, floating dump ins that probably weren't even intended to be on net.

I'd like nothing more than if the Flyers scoreboard watch and sign him to a 7 year deal. Really, I'd be happy if any team in the conference that wasn't us signed him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oh... Totally on board wil how great Kessel has been this year and its only a matter of time before he clicks with Sid or Malkin or Sid AND Malkin lolz. Love that he left all the haterz in the dust and commited to playing a winning style.

The Pens hVe some holes to fill.

He's no Sergei Berezin, that's for sure.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kessel is going to score 25 goals and 50+ points despite spending a good portion of that under Mike Johnston's system.

Next year he'll be free of that, and will probably score even more.

Is he soff? Yes. Players are able to still be useful even despite having flaws. Shocking, I know.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Na. That stat line ain't near good enough for what we're paying him. If he doesn't have a good postseason, I definitely look into all options in the offseason.

PH is on pace for 48 despite his horrid start and playing on the 3rd line for games. And he gives you a hell of alot more than just scoring.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kessel is going to score 25 goals and 50+ points despite spending a good portion of that under Mike Johnston's system.

Next year he'll be free of that, and will probably score even more.

Is he soff? Yes. Players are able to still be useful even despite having flaws. Shocking, I know.

I am starting to question his long term fit with us. Unless his chemistry with Malkin takes a big step forward...I question whether he should be in the plans moving forward. $6.8mil would buy a nice 2nd line RW or LW and have money for a nice 2nd pairing dman. This given the fact we have Sprong in the pipeline and potentially Bennett still.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really can't see us moving Kessel unless the Pens blow it up. Kessel is simply too talented to not be producing more. People ignore that Kessel is on his 4th coach and 4th system in just a year and has had to adjust to bring a sidekick here. Have some patience, I have no doubt he'll be at least 30 goal and 60 point guy next year.

The only way I'd move Kessel is if all of:

-We could get a cheap top-6 LW for him
-Hornqvist will definitely be re-signed
-Sprong takes a big jump and is a top-6 winger next year
-Kessel doesn't start producing at a 30-30 or so pace

Happen.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I am starting to question his long term fit with us. Unless his chemistry with Malkin takes a big step forward...I question whether he should be in the plans moving forward. $6.8mil would buy a nice 2nd line RW or LW and have money for a nice 2nd pairing dman. This given the fact we have Sprong in the pipeline and potentially Bennett still.

Bennett can't be relied on unfortunately, and Sprong...who knows. He showed some nice spurts of ability but I'm far from convinced he was anywhere close to NHL ready this year. He never should have stayed past nine games.

I think you can consider moving Kessel if the return is outrageous. I mean, you listen. But it better be a damned good package if we move him out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Na. That stat line ain't near good enough for what we're paying him. If he doesn't have a good postseason, I definitely look into all options in the offseason.

PH is on pace for 48 despite his horrid start and playing on the 3rd line for games. And he gives you a hell of alot more than just scoring.

You're willing to write off Kessel after one sub-par season? Weren't you also willing to look at moving Sid because of his slow start, or was that another poster who looks at things from a month to month basis, rather than big picture?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really can't see us moving Kessel unless the Pens blow it up. Kessel is simply too talented to not be producing more. People ignore that Kessel is on his 4th coach and 4th system in just a year and has had to adjust to bring a sidekick here. Have some patience, I have no doubt he'll be at least 30 goal and 60 point guy next year.

The only way I'd move Kessel is if all of:

-We could get a cheap top-6 LW for him
-Hornqvist will definitely be re-signed
-Sprong takes a big jump and is a top-6 winger next year
-Kessel doesn't start producing at a 30-30 or so pace

Happen.

Moving a player like Kessel does not require a blow up. Did St Louis "blow it up" when they traded Oshie? Rangers - Callahan? Columbus - Nash? Winnipeg - Kane? Players like Kessel can be moved for lateral moves.

Bennett can't be relied on unfortunately, and Sprong...who knows. He showed some nice spurts of ability but I'm far from convinced he was anywhere close to NHL ready this year. He never should have stayed past nine games.

I think you can consider moving Kessel if the return is outrageous. I mean, you listen. But it better be a damned good package if we move him out.

Agree about Bennett and indeed Sprong may take another year or two. Guess it would depend on who else we could bring in.

Now, don't get me wrong I like have Kessel here. I love the idea of him being here. When I see the chemistry of Malkin, the production, and his contract...I become a little less convinced. He is a luxury item. And given the LW holes we have...

I'm wondering if Florida would make a trade for Kessel potentially. Something like Crouse+1st+roster player+3rd. I dunno...just spit ballin here. Nothing serious.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If Kessel has another year like this you definitely think about it. But of course if that happens you suddenly have a bad contract on your hands. Now technically he doesn't have a NTC anymore so that may give you more options.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm not opposed to trading Kessel if we can get a prolific LW goal scorer or established 2/3 defender. But that isn't happening. Kessel has been more productive since MJ left. Kessel is not perfect, but he has shown exciting chemistry with Hagelin and we haven't seen him play with good Sid under Sullivan. Hagelin/Crosby/Kessel should be tried before a trade.

I wouldn't consider moving him until last year. James Neal was a massive disappointment at first and he eventually became a 40 goal scorer and PPG player here. Patience!

Also, pretty sure Kessel has 13 points in his last 14 games.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not opposed to trading Kessel if we can get a prolific LW goal scorer or established 2/3 defender. But that isn't happening. Kessel has been more productive since MJ left. Kessel is not perfect, but he has shown exciting chemistry with Hagelin and we haven't seen him play with good Sid under Sullivan. Hagelin/Crosby/Kessel should be tried before a trade.

I wouldn't consider moving him until last year. James Neal was a massive disappointment at first and he eventually became a 40 goal scorer and PPG player here. Patience!

Also, pretty sure Kessel has 13 points in his last 14 games.

I'm with you there. At the time though, Neal's cap hit was what, $2.x? Something like that? Then he performed to a level that got him $5mil/yr. Kessel at 6.8 is...tough to swallow right now but I am willing to see how to pans out next year.

However, if we could do a Neal-esque trade, meaning bringing back a Top 6 wing and a bottom 6'er or a LW plus high pick or some combo, I would explore that.

For example, Kessel for Kane+Foligno from Buffalo, I would consider that. I would have to sit down and consider what would actually make sense for us and what wouldn't. Basically, equal-ish production at a lower rate hoping to have better chemistry with Malkin plus the benefit of an additional roster player, prospect, or pick is what you'd hope to get.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You're willing to write off Kessel after one sub-par season? Weren't you also willing to look at moving Sid because of his slow start, or was that another poster who looks at things from a month to month basis, rather than big picture?

I'm willing to include him in "explore options in the offseason" if he's not earning his paycheck in the postseason.

I think he will, but I'm not including him in the core group just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce