Hall : Improved playmaking ?

Oilin Toronto

Mar 31, 2010
No he doesn't. Doesn't even mention Sequin and Landeskog's intangibles. :sarcasm:

Seriously, i think Hall's gotten much better with the puck, perhaps a little more hockeysmart. And, having watched every game this season, he isn't even playing well.

i say, wait till mid-February before he starts controlling games. It's going to be good.

I don't know know how much more you could expect from this guy. I also have watched all of the games thus far, and being in Ontario, you will probably end up seeing more games than I will, but I've got to tell you, that first line dominated every time they were out there the last game. They could have easily had a couple of more goals. I think we should not expect much much more from these guys so soon. At this pace, Hall will have more than 67pts this year. I will take that any day of the week.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
From what I've seen so far it's not really playmaking. He carries the puck a lot, drives play in the right direction and generally does good things with the puck but the quality of his linemates is better and him touching the puck more while they finish gets him points. He's not beating players or setting up plays better but he's driving play.

BadMedicine*

I think one of the reasons we are seeing Taylor diversifying his game is that managment has most likely sat the core group down and outlined the way the offensive pie was going to be cut up , or the ways it would be divided up. It is an epic task providing all of these potential superstars the large number of game eperiences they need ASAP to continue to develop to each of their individual maximum potentials, there will need to be role re-assignments over both the short term and the long term. It looks like the core all bought into that system. Assuming more of a leadership role may have also changed the way he views his indiviafual responsibilitys now. Players need a while to adjust to the danger zones in the NHL before they get fancy or they have shortened careers, mistakes all carry consequences in the NHL both tangible and intangible Taylor has adjusted now and is getting comfortable out there. I think that Nuge needs to be highlighted as a scorer at the elite level this year, most players who can ultra-focus on goals show it early. Taylor and Jordan need to start setting Nuge up for some one-timers and some redirections, both RNHs linemates are excellent passers so lets see it happen 5 on 5.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
From what I've seen so far it's not really playmaking. He carries the puck a lot, drives play in the right direction and generally does good things with the puck but the quality of his linemates is better and him touching the puck more while they finish gets him points. He's not beating players or setting up plays better but he's driving play.

Eberle's 1st and 3rd goals of the season were 100% Taylor Hall being a playmaker.

SchultzSquared*

It's this... Hall is not a playmaker per say... not a goal scorer either. He is an opportunity creator and has always played that way... see consistent ES/PP splits in the OHL and an average of 40 goals a year and 50 assists. He does the best with what develops around him... in this case pucks aren't going in and shooting lanes are clogged due to pressure from teams knowing his shot... so now he's using that to generate rebound opportunities for teammates and sliding pucks across to open guys.

Will not surprise me when this changes... teams will break down tape and say "take away 4's passing options"... goals will come back in a spurt and suddenly he will have a more even split. Could see 3 in the next couple games in fact... 4-6-10 in 7 games.

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
He's my favorite hockey player of all-time but I'm frustrated by his turnovers and his lack of scoring goals.

His assists feel kind of.... "right place, right time" kind of deal when I watch him. Now his uptempo style compliments this group in a big way. I really believe that. But he should be able to light the lamp and set up and be equally dangerous doing both.

I am sorry, but when he came into this league he was expected to be just a tick below a generational talent. I remember all the talk. He looks the part of very solid but he's not even the best player on the team right now, even with him being my favorite I can admit that.

He should be a type of talent that can absolutely take over a game and carry us. I've seen him do that maybe 2 or 3 games in his entire career. Two that I remember, one that I sort of remember. He is also a streaky scorer. Needs to just flatted out and start doing it and stop turning the puck over on powerplays... but I've been wanting to see him do that for 2+ seasons now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad