Hall : Improved playmaking ?

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I think its improved playmaking,
I want to see more goals from Hall as well though, he played very well yesterday, but i think he's just having an ok start to the year despite leading the team. Don't get me wrong i really like Hall

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
his game is very sloppy and reckless. he'd probably be way sicker at about 12 points if he had control and made a few smart plays when he has momentum. he gives a lot of offensive zones away with bad decisions on rushes (skate into D or throw it into their shin pads instead of negotiating the situation with deep zone play with a little chip). the good thing is that every so often with their smarts, tenacity, speed and agility the 3 kids can regain the puck here and there on some of those "hero" moments.

and again, disclaimer: love the kid.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
his game is very sloppy and reckless. he'd probably be way sicker at about 12 points if he had control and made a few smart plays when he has momentum. he gives a lot of offensive zones away with bad decisions on rushes (skate into D or throw it into their shin pads instead of negotiating the situation with deep zone play with a little chip). the good thing is that every so often with their smarts, tenacity, speed and agility the 3 kids can regain the puck here and there on some of those "hero" moments.

you're out to lunch

Hall was in full beast mode last night...beating players to loose pucks, leading the rush up the ice

the puck is always going in the right direction with him on the ice

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I would say he is using his teammates better. He realizes he has fantastic talent on his line and he doesn't have to do everything himself.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I've noticed an improvement in Hall's playmaking. Last night, there were a couple of occasions where instead of driving hard down the wing like he usually does, he slowed up at the blueline looking for a pass and once found Schultz breaking in, almost resulting in a goal. I think if he can add this part to his game, it'll make it harder for opposing dmen to defend him, not knowing whether he's gonna go hard to the net or back off and make a pass.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hall has always been a criminally underrated passer and play-maker. He looks better than RNH this year in that respect, actually.

You would never know it by the people complaining ad nausea about his play in GDT's though. Some already want him run out of town.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I do think everyone is a little out of sync, but it's to be expected with the way the season is.

There was a funny moment in yesterdays game where he tried to pass, gave it away, but skated so fast that he got to puck just as it was getting to the Avs player and simply took it back and passed it off :laugh: Gotta love his drive.

Hall will get better, he's always a slow starter anyway, the funny thing is point wise this is the fastest start of his career I think.

Last edited:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

You should watch some of the games that have been played this season. They're much better than last years.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
He is improving, would like to see him use his wrist shot more. Happy that he using his teammates and love that he is one of the guys that usually gets the puck out of the Oilers zone.

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Assist against Vancouver - Rushing in with Eberle, drops it behind and Eberle takes it to the net.

Assist against LA - Shot on goal, Yakupov pots the rebound.

Assists against Calgary - Horcoff wins a faceoff and Hall pushes it back to the point. Gets a 2nd assist. 2nd assist he is battling infront of the net, rebound comes and as he tries to get his stick on it and it comes to Gagner and he pots it.

Assists against Colorado - Enters the zone with the puck close to the boards, passes it to Eberle as hes rushing towards the slot. 2nd assist, RNH saucers a nice pass to Hall, Hall directs it towards the net, hits Horcoffs skate and is redirected to hit the net.

None of these plays screamed to me playmaking. They were smart heads up play. I've personally bit more frustrated with his attempts at dekes through-out the games. They probably worked for in the AHL, but I don't think a single one has worked for him this year.

I guess its how you want to interpret a playmaker. Can he make a wow pass or deke around someone...no. But hes making smart passes at certain times.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
His speed and the threat to use it make plays for him. It creates so much space on the ice for his linemates. It happened on Eberle's goal against Vancouver and again against Colorado.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't think he has a bad hockey IQ. He just isn't swift like Eberle and RNH. Hall does things at such a fast speed that it's hard for him to be a dangler or that type of player, he's a powerforward in the making. It isn't his IQ, it's his style.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
You can tell it takes him a while to get it.

I think last night was evidence he's transitioned from the speed of the AHL to the NHL.

I get the comment that he should have 12 points and that just shows what a beast he is when he gets it all together.

Most of us seem to agree that he's been a little reckless and all over the place this year and yet he has 7 points.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hall has always been a criminally underrated passer and play-maker. He looks better than RNH this year in that respect, actually.

You would never know it by the people complaining ad nausea about his play in GDT's though. Some already want him run out of town.

Taylor is the new Sam.LOL
no matter how well he'll play, there will be snipers in the bushes ready to pounce on the slightest mistake.....zomg!he can't deke...no I.Q. derp!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
gotta love when a guy has 7pts in 5 games and people think he needs to improve. the funny part is that i agree, i feel like when he is down low in the other zone he is looking to ebs and nuge too much, he needs to bull some of those pucks towards teh net.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Taylor is the new Sam.LOL
no matter how well he'll play, there will be snipers in the bushes ready to pounce on the slightest mistake.....zomg!he can't deke...no I.Q. derp!

lol yeah it has nothing to do with him getting open for a breakout pass or using his speed to clear his own zone. OMG DERP DEKE IQ

lol

Musicman798

Feb 28, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The thing we're seeing with all the kids right now, is that they are not really playing to their potential, yet still getting the points up. Just wait until everything starts clicking the way it should be. That was basically Eberle's season in a nutshell last year was it not? Quiet start, yet still managing a point per game pace. There will be slumps here and there, but then there will also be hat tricks and 5 point nights. Those will be exciting.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Hall/Nuge/Eberle as a line even going back to last year all get lots of touches when they cycle the puck in the offensive zone. I highly doubt he's becoming more of a playmaker, as it definitely doesn't seem that way to my eye. I'd say it's more likely that he just hasn't been the one putting the puck in the net as often as he has been over the first handfull of games. He's still on the same shots-per-game pace as the last two seasons, too.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He seems to be making smarter plays forsure. I love Hall and the way he plays but he has so much potential to be even better. His shot is hard, but wild. He misses the net a lot and tries to get through defenseman rather than burning them outside and getting the puck on net, which he is capable of. For anyone who says his play isn't sloppy they are delusional and need to admit it. It's amazing he can still rack up points while playing like that. Honestly the guy could be top 5 in points right now.

As he matures and gains experience he'll pick up on it though. Gonna be one of the best wingers in the league.

This is not a knock on Hall at all. Like I said I love Hall, I think he has things to work on though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Assist against Vancouver - Rushing in with Eberle, drops it behind and Eberle takes it to the net.

Assist against LA - Shot on goal, Yakupov pots the rebound.

Assists against Calgary - Horcoff wins a faceoff and Hall pushes it back to the point. Gets a 2nd assist. 2nd assist he is battling infront of the net, rebound comes and as he tries to get his stick on it and it comes to Gagner and he pots it.

Assists against Colorado - Enters the zone with the puck close to the boards, passes it to Eberle as hes rushing towards the slot. 2nd assist, RNH saucers a nice pass to Hall, Hall directs it towards the net, hits Horcoffs skate and is redirected to hit the net.

None of these plays screamed to me playmaking. They were smart heads up play. I've personally bit more frustrated with his attempts at dekes through-out the games. They probably worked for in the AHL, but I don't think a single one has worked for him this year.

I guess its how you want to interpret a playmaker. Can he make a wow pass or deke around someone...no. But hes making smart passes at certain times.

I think this proves how well he get's the puck going in the right direction like i said earlier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad