Confirmed with Link: Hall & Foligno to Chicago

BearAttack

Jan 14, 2003
Niagara Wine Country
Visit site
As much as I liked Hall and Foligno I get the realities of our cap world. Someone had to go and there's more to come. Still think that a blockbuster involving Ulmark (while his value is highest) is in the works to fill the void at center left by Bergy and Kreji. If Vegas has taught the league anything it's you can retool on the fly.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Uncle Nick will never give you $4 million worth of on-ice performance, but for a team that isn't planning to really compete for a cup in 2023-24 with an 18 year old super prospect who they want to surround with a mentor and a good organizational culture, having him on the roster will probably pay massive dividends.

Kind of like how when Crosby got drafted Lemieux went and surrounded him with guys like Recchi and Gary Roberts

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Uncle Nick will never give you $4 million worth of on-ice performance, but for a team that isn't planning to really compete for a cup in 2023-24 with an 18 year old super prospect who they want to surround with a mentor and a good organizational culture, having him on the roster will probably pay massive dividends.

Kind of like how when Crosby got drafted Lemieux went and surrounded him with guys like Recchi and Gary Roberts
Yup

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
To Winnipeg:
Linus Ullmark

To Boston:
Adam Lowry
2nd Round pick

Just looking at teams without a goaltender, lol.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ok, dude.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I feel like McLeod will be kept around in Edmonton.
That's fair, I wasn't really sure of McLeod's value to them given they have McDavid, Drai and RNH all capable of playing C ahead of him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's fair, I wasn't really sure of McLeod's value to them given they have McDavid, Drai and RNH all capable of playing C ahead of him.
Yeah, the reason I was thinking was that if RNH was indeed on the move this summer. If Nuge stays, It might be a possibility.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Liked Hall, thought he was a gamer, he wanted to win. He bought into what they were doing here, playing any role he was given. With more opportunity, think he can still produce better numbers than the last couple seasons. Believe that could have happened here in the upcoming season. So first glance, not happy he's gone. Understand they need the cap space, but didn't think they would go with Hall being a Cap dump.

Thought their wingers were still a huge advantage upfront with Hall, Marchand, DeBrusk, and Pasta. Makes a strong top 6 even with weaker centers.

Saying this, the offseason is far from over. With this move, still do not think the Bruin's are bowing out next year, and plan on being competitive. How exactly, not sure, but Sweeney seems to be pretty creative. Until training camp starts not going to waste time being bothered.

Will say though, if the idea is getting rid of Hall for Bertuzzi, think Hall is better. Don't trust Bertuzzi's injury history or his all round game. His defensive game here was a disaster. Plus his cap hit will probably be north of 6M. And if it's not Bertuzzi, he's going to have to bring in another good forward, or this is obviously just a huge downgrade.

Interested to see how this all unfolds.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He was utilized as a 3rd line wing to gain match up advantages, not because he was a 3rd line wing.
....and yet with all of the match up advantages he allegedly had, he still only managed to score 20 goals one time in the last 5 years. At a $6mil cap hit.....

Look, I'm not slagging the guy. I liked Taylor Hall a lot as a Bruin and I'm sorry to see him go, but I get it. My point was directed toward people who had a very skewed expectation of what his trade value is...

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This doesn’t have to be about Bertuzzi. It could be part of trying to make space for another center. Try to get both Lindholm and Dubois, for example.
For sure. DS has to dump salary somehow. Hall was an obvious choice. Can't make moves that may arise with no cap room. Surely DS has multiple paths he could potentially go charted out. I think signing Bertuzzi is an obvious path because it would make a line for years to come with Pasta that has really good chemistry. If Bert isn't signed then at least that much more money is available for other options. Depending on how much more cap space is freed up it would be great if DS could sign Bert at $5.5-6 per and somehow manage to get Lindholm. Given how things are shaking out league-wide there's no telling how many contingency plans each GM has made out.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
He doesn't want money, or stats.
He wants a cup, and he won't be playing long enough if/when Chicago gets good.
Well if he wants a cup so bad maybe he should have been playing like a first liner here rather than a third. Hall was a decent reliable player, but he didn't do anything exceptional here that really helped us win. He certainly didn't play at that MVP level we hoped he would.

Chicago will flip him to a contender at the deadline when his contract is ending (if not sooner) so he will still get another chance at that cup if he wants.

Foligno signing for 4 mil is absolutely bananas....
Only way he'd stay there I imagine. They need to reach cap floor and he's the perfect guy to mentor Bedard and the other kids they will have. Set the culture right from the beginning. It's a smart move for Chicago.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
....and yet with all of the match up advantages he allegedly had, he still only managed to score 20 goals one time in the last 5 years. At a $6mil cap hit.....

Look, I'm not slagging the guy. I liked Taylor Hall a lot as a Bruin and I'm sorry to see him go, but I get it. My point was directed toward people who had a very skewed expectation of what his trade value is...
At the trade deadline he will get a 1st. Cap is supposed to go up a lot in 24-25 so that $6M will be manageable for a lot more teams.

If they sign Bertuzzi to 5.5\5 it will be understandable but I still would have let Berth ask walk.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
For sure. DS has to dump salary somehow. Hall was an obvious choice. Can't make moves that may arise with no cap room. Surely DS has multiple paths he could potentially go charted out. I think signing Bertuzzi is an obvious path because it would make a line for years to come with Pasta that has really good chemistry. If Bert isn't signed then at least that much more money is available for other options. Depending on how much more cap space is freed up it would be great if DS could sign Bert at $5.5-6 per and somehow manage to get Lindholm. Given how things are shaking out league-wide there's no telling how many contingency plans each GM has made out.
I agree Bertuzzi is an obvious path. I also like him and would be happy if he came back for the numbers you said.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
It was not a must to be Hall.

How has Reilly not been bought out yet? A player no one else wanted aside from Sweeney who then overpaid him immediately with this immovable contract?
The last B's buyout I could find was Jimmy Hayes in 2018.
Jacobs wants Sweeney to own his mistakes, and I can't blame him. If I owned the team, I wouldn't want to be bailing out my GM every time he wrote a bad check with my checkbook.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
As others have mentioned why hasn’t Reilly been bought out yet? It’s not like they haven’t tried to give him away for free multiple times. No one wants him, he should have been a day 1 buyout

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

JayMark

Jul 13, 2022
I would think the Vezina winner would bring back a little more than that.
I would have thought that a Hart trophy winner would have brought back more than it did. Teams know that the Bruins are desperate to sell and only offering dimes on the dollar in return.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

It didn’t work for Seguin by all accounts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad