Confirmed with Link: Hall & Foligno to Chicago

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Blows my mind that foligno had the audacity to say something to Montgomery about being benched.

The level of entitlement within oneself to think he should be handed a roster spot in game 7 despite the complete lack of production or ability to play despite every opportunity over a two year span is insane.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for Montgomerys response
To be fair, anything Montgomery decided to do in games 5-7 should have been criticized.

Players definitely at fault, too. But giving a pass there to criticize the coach given the result

That said Foligno, as a person I like, but nothing to lose sleep over if he has any opinions different than what happened, especially since the team lost.

Would the Bruins been able to clinch it with Foligno?

The same answer as if we dressed Backed for game 7 in 2019. We'll never know, but they weren't really the reason either way..

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To be fair, anything Montgomery decided to do in games 5-7 should have been criticized.

Players definitely at fault, too. But giving a pass there to criticize the coach given the result

That said Foligno, as a person I like, but nothing to lose sleep over if he has any opinions different than what happened, especially since the team lost.

Would the Bruins been able to clinch it with Foligno?

The same answer as if we dressed Backed for game 7 in 2019
. We'll never know, but they weren't really the reason either way..

Bruins in 2019 were never in it. Can't see Backes making a difference.

Last season Bruins were actually ahead, lost in OT. There was at least the possibility of Foligno making a difference.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
100%

At least Backes can say his first season in Boston wasn't a total disaster. Decent production (half a PPG), solid in the playoffs vs. Ottawa. For the life of me I'll never figure out why Claude Julien immediately put him on RW. In the two seasons prior, Backes had averaged over 1100 faceoffs each year with a over 53% win percentage. 14th in Selke voting in 2016, 4th in 2015. I don't buy the foot-speed argument. Julien used the likes of Kemppainen up the middle that year and I'd take Backes over him in a foot-race 99 times out of 100. Julien decided Backes would be Nathan Horton 2.0 and it failed both the team and the player.

They should of just kept Lucic and said no to Beleskey, Backes, and Foligno.

Perhaps because the Bruins needed a RW a lot more than a center at that time?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I don’t remember exactly what Backes said but if I remember correctly it was a similar response. Backes didn’t agree with Cassidy’s decision and he let him know which is exactly what Foligno said about Montgomery. I get these guys are super competitive, but saying the coach should have played me in game 7 just comes across the wrong way to me.
They are competitors. The team lost in both situations. Is there some resentment? Maybe a little, but it's not like the team won and the player said, "Well they should have played me, we would have won by even more".

The team lost, and their choices can be criticized by fans, media, and the players (former or current) themselves. I see nothing wrong with that.

Obviously the right choices weren't made. Whether or not those specific players were the correct choices is 100% debatable. And I'm fine with players coming out and giving their honest opinions/emotions about it instead of giving some sugarcoated stock answer about digging deeper or some other hockey cliches.

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Bruins in 2019 were never in it. Can't see Backes making a difference.

Last season Bruins were actually ahead, lost in OT. There was at least the possibility of Foligno making a difference.
That's completely uncertain on either level. Either situation could have spurned completely different results in either direction.

Would the Bruins be out of it if Backes had played in game 7?

Would the Bruins even had made it to OT if Foligno did?

On the opposite side of that maybe either of them would have been the catalyst for the momentum the Bruins direction.

It's all kinda moot since we can't really know what would have happened, because it didn't. And we factually know what did happen when they weren't in.

I'm not advocating for either player to have been in. Just it would have been different. Good or bad. Since both actual decisions resulted in losses, any hypothetical different decisions are fine to play the "what-if" game. Which in the end is also kinda moot as well, because it changes nothing.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's completely uncertain on either level. Either situation could have spurned completely different results in either direction.

Would the Bruins be out of it if Backes had played in game 7?

Would the Bruins even had made it to OT if Foligno did?

On the opposite side of that maybe either of them would have been the catalyst for the momentum the Bruins direction.

It's all kinda moot since we can't really know what would have happened, because it didn't. And we factually know what did happen when they weren't in.

I'm not advocating for either player to have been in. Just it would have been different. Good or bad. Since both actual decisions resulted in losses, any hypothetical different decisions are fine to play the "what-if" game. Which in the end is also kinda moot as well, because it changes nothing.

OK.

I still think Foligno had a better chance than Backes did of making a difference.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was at game 7 and when I saw Foligno was scratched laughed and commented to the guy I was with ‘Monty has f***ed up every move since game 5’ so why not

Pete Rose with a bet on Florida could not have done a better job to F this up

If you like soft and you make excuses for your kids shitty behavior you are appalled Foligno spoke up

OK.

I still think Foligno had a better chance than Backes did of making a difference.
Backes Game 4 led Bruins in hits and starting scrums - Game before 7-2 was in lineup

Horrendous decision

Reactions: SonnyBoy

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry to bump this but I was curious did Hall look cooked last year for B's?

He has been pretty terrible for Hawks at this point and I was wondering if there were signs of a massive dropoff coming for him last year?

I mean he is actively dragging down whoever he plays with especially Bedard

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

He has been pretty terrible for Hawks at this point and I was wondering if there were signs of a massive dropoff coming for him last year?

not at all. he was a top 2-3 forward in the florida series. i think he's compromised
right now - seems like he had 2-3 injuries already this season and trying to play thru it.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA

He was great last year, especially in the playoffs. His regular season stats took a hit but thats because he was a good soldier and played on the 3rd line the whole year and kept his head down. He's definitely not MVP Hall anymore but he's a nice puck carrier who can finish sometimes and have speed on the backcheck. Expectations should def be adjusted. Also the other poster said I think the injuries have been piling. Speed and straight line skating is his biggest strength so if he can't get to 100 percent then he's probably gunna be different.

False Start

May 8, 2018

You've been getting positive reviews. But I was rather unhappy with him last year.

He was traded for to be a driver and one of the better players. Most players had career years on the top 5 of all time record team and Hall was kind of a disappointment all things considered from a production standpoint.

Its possible his body isn't aging well. But despite showing crazy skills he was struggling to put up points on our team last year. Basically he looked ok to good most of the time but the production never agreed. I'm not surprised if he has a worse year on the Blackhawks.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

I'm a bit surprised at the replies you've been getting.

He had been trending steadily down, production wise. For a goal scorer, the goals were not coming. He scored 20 goals once there in the latter years and he's trending down from there. Some of that is opportunity on a stacked team mind you.

He was playing great 200 foot hockey though which is kind of essential here, and great in the room. So I think that kept him a fan fave (and I appreciated his play).

But in terms of top 6 hockey? He's not that anymore. Him and Seguin have had sort of similar arcs there (although Seguin this season does look better).

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Taylor Hall has been injured twice this season. last night game was his second game back and it was the second part of a back to back. I am surprised he played a back to back game considering his situation this season. He has only played 10 of the 16 games this season he has 2 goals and 2 assist, not bad considering his injuries

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

i thought he looked cooked and clumsy most of the time he was on the Bruins.
He had the occasional streak here and there, but for the most part made ill advised passes. especially on the power play.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

He had a good year for his role on the team, albeit expecting more from Taylor Hall and not getting it seems to have happened at a lot of his stops. Hall was a solid Bruin and his brief playoff run last year was really good. Still, he always left me thinking he could do more because he was just so damn fast in transition and his skills were still elite. The production never quite matched his physical skills here IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

He was injured for a chunk of time. When he did come back, he was one of our better forwards at times. Taylor Hall being a 3rd line driver was a luxury more than a necessity, but certainly helped.

I don't think he was on a steady decline, but injures certainly didn't help; without following him closely since he was moved to Chicago, his 2023 playoffs made me think he certainly thought he'd have more value than a couple of waiver-wire defensemen, but the cap space was probably worth it in the long run.

Signing Foligno at whatever you guys did sign him for, I get the grabbing leadership for Bedard angle, but man, Foligno made a lot of money for limited output.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Surprisingly, Foligno has been much better than Hall, offensively, defensively and leadership wise.

Felt like Taylor Hall was going all out almost all of the time in a Bruins uniform. That being said, Sabres fans never saw him break a sweat according to them.

He may just a player that is affected by whatever is going on his head/his satisfied he is in a given situation. I can’t totally rip him for that. If I’m struggling in my head, my work suffers.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

He was ok, but the big difference this year compared to last is the level of competition he’s facing. Last year he was usually lining up against 3rd lines, I’m guessing he’s playing against the big boys now.

Felt like Taylor Hall was going all out almost all of the time in a Bruins uniform. That being said, Sabres fans never saw him break a sweat according to them.

He may just a player that is affected by whatever is going on his head/his satisfied he is in a given situation. I can’t totally rip him for that. If I’m struggling in my head, my work suffers.
Again, I think he thrives against weaker lines. Doesn’t to as well with first line expectations/matchups.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Surprisingly, Foligno has been much better than Hall, offensively, defensively and leadership wise.
foligno was very bad in year 1 with boston. assuming that was mostly due to injury.
he was excellent last year - one of the bigger surprises on the team for me. but then
he got that knee injury in february (i think it was 1 game apart from hall's injury), which
really changed the complexion of the roster (which saw them give up a 1st for bertuzzi).

i'd take foligno back right now, especially with the need for more of a physical presence.
but not for $4M and not for an overpay with assets.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
foligno was very bad in year 1 with boston. assuming that was mostly due to injury.
he was excellent last year - one of the bigger surprises on the team for me. but then
he got that knee injury in february (i think it was 1 game apart from hall's injury), which
really changed the complexion of the roster (which saw them give up a 1st for bertuzzi).

i'd take foligno back right now, especially with the need for more of a physical presence.
but not for $4M and not for an overpay with assets.
Good memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad