Half-Way Point - Top 5 Reasons For Success?

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
- Health.

- Markov returning after his troubles a much better player than some/many (including me) expected.

- Gallagher contributing right away.

- Subban and Pacioretty's continued success.

- Plekanec playing with renewed energy.

Bonus: a 10.26 team sh% definitely doesn't hurt. That'll probably come down a bit by the end of the season.

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I agree with everything you said and I will add just a thing.. or two actually.

1- No surprise here I guess but Subban is playing his best hockey this season. Aside from a hot start, Markov isn't the D we used to know. Subban has replaced him big time.

2- Management change. I may be wrong, but changing the culture of the club as a whole, must be for something in the recent success of the habs. I still am thinking we are over performing a bit but last we year we were clearly under performing. Changing the air in the Bell Center migth have been the best thing to happen to us. (And in a way, that brought in Therrien who is huge for us right now)

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Galchenyuk- Never expected this guy to be here this year. he just turned 19 and, to boot, he is an intelligent player who is learning the game on a winning team. hopefully, he'll be dominate in all 3 zones and those flashes of brilliance turns into regular: how did he do that, moments. Still cannot believe he is a hab

Gallagher- I always liked what I saw from Gallagher; however, I never would have dreamed he could play like this. the guy is exactly what this team needs and a major reason for the team's success. doesn't matter where he is in the line-up, he makes the line better. what energy.

Subban- I really don't know what to say, he's playing unreal and much smarter hockey. A couple bad games, but he is learning from his mistakes and not taking as many dumb penalties this year. still lots of room to grow but what a beauty Subban could be with the right veterans to show him the ropes.

Plekanec- The guy came ready to play. Team leader, beast mode, never stops, pp, pk, 5-5, doesn't matter what you ask of him...he does it, and well. The guy can play with anyone, has played with everyone, and just goes out and does his job. what more do you want? I hope Galchenyuk and Gallagher sees how he plays in every situation as the young guys are breathing success early which will show what it takes to win.

Pacioretty- He's our best player on the ice right now, even when he wasn't playing well he still put up just under a ppg. Love the way he can play, and what a steal in the middle of the first/late first.

Honestly,

Diaz
Emelin
Price
Bourque
Prust
eller

could all be on my list. just going with what I've seen lately, really.

Last edited:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I agree with everything you said and I will add just a thing.. or two actually.

1- No surprise here I guess but Subban is playing his best hockey this season. Aside from a hot start, Markov isn't the D we used to know. Subban has replaced him big time.

I honestly can't remember, it's been so long. He's lost a step, but he is the smartest player we have at both ends. He is brilliant on the PP and doesn't lose many puck battles in his own end. Only deficiency is that he won't win long puck races. PK is our best D, and he will only get better by learning from Marky. This is the first season that he's had that going for him. You can see how much he's improving.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Interesting that Skorpion and Nedved could have such different takes and yet produce two well-thought out, sensible posts.

I guess the two perspectives point to a lot of depth on the team, compared to previous years, but I also buy into the difference that a good coach makes. As much as I was not impressed with Terrien in his first stint with the team, he is impressing me now.

BobbyFischer*

Price, Price, Price.

Without him we are last in the East.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Top 5 reasons in no particular order

1: MT and MB: Bringing in new strong leadership on the management side, and a new system.

2: Prust: When we signed him I was happy even with his contract. So far so good, but it's still early to tell how well this signing does long term. But short term it's been one of the best signings for any team.

3: Pleks: The guy gets **** on a lot, is it deserved? at times. But if you look at the entire season he has been focused and producing.

4: The kids: Energy and renewed enthusiasm for the game that this team has not had in ages. This rubs off on everyone around them unless your name was Cole

5: Health: Up until recently the team had a long stretch without major injuries. That has changed recently, but health has been a huge factor.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
1. Return of Markov. Our record with him in the lineup and with him out of it is day and night. He might not be as good as he used to be, but he's still a calming presence, such a smart player.
2. Emergence of Eller and Diaz that has given the team real depth at the centre position and defense. Two areas where the team really needed it.
3. Gallagher and Galchenyuk providing depth on the wings. Gives the habs the ability to ice a top 9 which can score.
4. The two-way games of Plekanec, Prust and Gionta. Gives the team the ability to shut down opposing team's top lines every night.
5. Carey Price. Has been solid for the majority of he season.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
At the halfway mark of the season, the Habs find themselves at the top of the East with a record of 15-5-4.

In your opinion, what are the five biggest reasons for the Habs success?

5. Carey Price
Teetered off a bit lately but he came out the gates looking solid and played well last night to get back into the groove.

4. Rafa Diaz
Coming into the season, I never expected him to be this good. Thanks in part to Subban signing late, Diaz got his chance to shine and did exactly that.

3. Brandon Prust
What a warrior. Contributes the occasional offense and plays solid at both ends. Became a fan favorite quickly.

2. The kids
Everyone expected them to be good but wow, are they playing amazing. A big reason why the Habs have been able to spread out their offense through three lines.

1. Michel Therrien
I was one of the guys to say, "give him a chance." He's brought a new system and dynamic to the team and the players have eaten it all up. Plus, his post-game interviews are always great.

What's your top 5?

Similar.

1) Coaching & management staff
2) Brandon Prust
3) Good luck (no serious extended injuries so far)
4) Improved defence (full year of Markov, improvement of Diaz & Emelin, addition of Bouillon)
5) Lars Eller emerging as a serviceable player.

Although Price has played to his potential for the most part, I find he hasn't really been counted upon. I think the Habs would be about the same place if they had a goalie one notch below Price. That's excellent news because when Price starts to steal games this team will come out of the East to face the Hawks.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
1. Health (Markov back is a huge bonus)
2. Secondary scoring, guys like Desharnais and Bourque and Prust help take pressure of the top line
3. Happy Subban
4. Coach Therrien pressing all the right buttons (especially with Price)
5. The kids

I did not put Price because he is playing like the All-Star that he was last year, you should expect him to be at this level.

Very impressive so far, watching from down the 417. I think that they are loose and even though they got their ***** kicked in that 6-0 game, with McLaren laughing at Gorges, Bourque getting KO'd, that game to me brought the team together and they definitely play for each other.

A contender.

Bob Lemoche

Mar 31, 2012
Price, Price, Price.

Without him we are last in the East.

Ridiculous.

Up until the last 3-4 games, the Habs were dominant as far as puck possession and limiting the opponent's scoring chances. Shots were almost always in our favors and we scored the first goal in most games.

Again, ridiculous assessment... I like Price and was behind him when the Halakists were making fun of him but no.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ridiculous.

Up until the last 3-4 games, the Habs were dominant as far as puck possession and limiting the opponent's scoring chances. Shots were almost always in our favors and we scored the first goal in most games.

Again, ridiculous assessment... I like Price and was behind him when the Halakists were making fun of him but no.

You do realize that sarcastic post came from a hardcore Price hater, right?

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Markov was a big factor at the start of the season but he has been sucking lately.

Creating turnovers (takeaways) at the opposite blue line/neutral zone by aggressively pinching was one of his specialties. When it succeeds, it's a massive advantage. However, he's been failing a lot lately, and is too slow to backcheck in time, which causes odd-man rushes.

He also has been making too many giveaways.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
1- Health + injured players coming back
2- New players (Prust, Gallagher, Galchenyuk)
3- Agressive hockey, new vision, Michel Therien + combination of a new gm
4- Everybody is contributing in the pts department (d & o)
5- Price

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
1 - New management/coaching team : Good example starts at the top of the pyramid.

2 - Scoring depth : Key « ice » factor. It means that offense doesn't lie on only one line/shoulders. Everybody has off games here and there, so having 3 lines that can score, and who scored, on a regular basis is a key.

3 - Newcomers : Basically, everybody who didn't play last season. We can ice a team loaded with NHL'ers, something that wasn't the case last season.

4 - Improvements : Either due to additionnal experience, or simply to said players not being top shape last season.

5 - Team passes first : No emphasis on individual players. Something I tried to emulate by the way, by not naming a single person in this message. .... And something that users of this Board could really learn to do as well.

*HM : A bit lucky on the side.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
1: The change of atmosphere. No more communist regime like way of doing things. A GM who doesn't hide from the media. 24CH. It helps when you are in a professional atmosphere and having fun is almost encouraged.

2: Great scoring depth up front and on D. 3 lines that can score and 3 legit quality offensive blueliners, almost impossible to shut us down. 5th in goals for.

3: Brandon Mother****ing Prust. :yo:

4: Therrien is in total control and is batting about .900 on the season with his decisions. His far more aggressive system has been a great fit.

5: The Gally's, Diaz and Eller all emerging/taking big steps forward.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
2. Secondary scoring, guys like Desharnais and Bourque and Prust help take pressure of the top line

While I totally agree with your assessment as a whole...
This factor is funny, because those three players are playing on a different line.

That would mean our top line would be... (drumroll)

Moen - White - Armstrong.

LOL :)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
All comes down to Coaching, a sane GM, a healthy team (Markov, Gio etc) and the play of Prust and the kids.

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
1. New management bringing new attitude, atmosphere and system.

2. Andrei Markov. I rank him very high but this guy has had his part in this. Having him back at the blue line was real big for us. He may look like he doesn't give a sh** to the media, but I think the guy is a pure leader. But hey, he hates PK... :sarcasm:

3. Brandon Prust. Brought what this team was missing + great leader.

4. Gally's + Diaz. Had a bigger effect than we all thought they would have.

5. Balanced 3 top lines. A different line can do the difference offensively on any giving night.

:yo:

Bob Lemoche

Mar 31, 2012
You do realize that sarcastic post came from a hardcore Price hater, right?

Haha...

No, considering I've got 16 posts or so, I don't know the personalities of every posters yet...

So I guess he's one of the Halakists I was referring to or just a plain hater ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad