Half-Way Point - Top 5 Reasons For Success?

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
5- Return of Markov and Diaz's unexpected play on the D
4- Plekanec and Bourque's play
3- Price & Budaj
2- New management, new mentality and fresh air in the whole organization
1- Leafs waking us up after that 6-0 loss... :sarcasm:

m00ks

Jan 31, 2008
- Health.

- Markov returning after his troubles a much better player than some/many (including me) expected.

- Gallagher contributing right away.

- Subban and Pacioretty's continued success.

- Plekanec playing with renewed energy.

Bonus: a 10.26 team sh% definitely doesn't hurt. That'll probably come down a bit by the end of the season.

Hard to beat this list but I've got to give Therrien his due so he'd be in my top 5 and bump out health. We've had games without Patches, Galagher, Bourque, Diaz even Price so we hurted, not Senators hurt, but we've taken our licks.

Honourable mention to Prust's play and Eller maturing in his game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree with you (although most here will probably disagree) that Plekanec has benefited from having a healthy Gionta. However, I think we're also seeing an early-mid season version of Plekanec, the perception of whom is erased by late-season Plekanec every spring.

Here are Plekanec's hockeyreference monthly career splits:

Oct - 79gp, 35pts - .67ppg
Nov - 92gp, 63pts - .68ppg
Dec - 94gp, 62pts - .66ppg
Jan - 84gp, 62pts - .74ppg
Feb - 95gp, 72pts - .76ppg
Mar - 98gp, 55pts - .56ppg
Apr - 33gp, 11pts - .33ppg

I'd like to see some splits of underlying numbers too... but these boxcar stats match what I've been seeing over the last few years. IMO Plekanec loses his edge after a season of tough minutes. I don't think it has to do with a higher intensity game (unfortunately the "little girl" comment has reinforced that narrative), I think it's a stamina issue. I'm hoping Therrien can manage his minutes, and maybe Eller can do some heavy lifting at the end of the regular season, because we'll need this mid-season version of Plekanec if we're to do any damage in the playoffs.

Basically, that's why I put "Plekanec playing with renewed energy" as a reason for early season success. He is the same Plek that we've seen before, but not necessarily the same Plek he's always been.

Count me among the guys who believe Gionta's made a difference. We tend to underestimate the chemistry between players, and it's clear that Plekanec and Gionta have it.

I really want to see if Plek's late-season fall-off is reduced by having a balanced offense. With more guys able to play more minutes, maybe we can finally give Plekanec a break and not grind him down by the playoffs.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I don't know if I can put this in a top 5.

1. Call Me Pernell Karl
Maturity of PK Subban. This is not the same PK Subban of last year on the ice. More mature. Learning curve when he returned, but now he looks like a new man. For me, he's alot more calm, making alot of smarter decisions and this is the best thing that can happen for him and the Habs. No idea how he is in the locker-room though, I'm sure he's grown up a bit.

2. In Prust We Trust
Brandon F Prust. Quite possibly the best UFA acquisition we've had since... Cammalleri? Maybe even more important than him. I don't know where to start with Prust, he and Michel have single handely changed the image of this organization. He brings something else to the team. You feel like you can get your nose dirty when you have Brandon Prust on your team or lineup. You even have a goal scorer (some nights) with him.. this guy is the type of player we've been looking for for years. I just wish we could have a line up of him. If Moen can follow in his foot-steps, we would have a great thing going.

3. 2nd Time's the Charm
Michel Therrien. Count me as one of those who said "OH COMMON!!!" When he was announced as the coach. 24CH and his post game interviews as well as his actions with the team have really changed how I see this guy. He's matured, he's VERY passionate about hockey but mostly about his job as the coach of the CH. He knows he's getting another chance and he's taking it by the horns and riding this team.

The way he's treated Ryan White/Lars Eller/PK Subban and now Ryder. I dont think I've ever agreed with coaches decisions so much. I've enjoyed agreeing with everything he's done. It's all worked out pretty well for him. Will see what happens with Ryder's benching.

Unbelievable what he's done to this TEAM, contrast to last year. They say the team is a representation of the coach.

4. Table Turning (Bourque/Diaz)
Two guys that last year got alot of slack, one was overrated and the other was under achieving. Both have just had an incredible season, and have been great contributions to the team.

5. The Kids Are Alright
Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I don't even know how I can summarize what these kids have done. Past coaches rarely have given kids in this team deserving ice time or deserving responsibilities. These guys have deserved everything that has come their way. Their talent has helped give this team much needed scoring depth. Their personalities has definitely helped the team off the ice as well.

Last edited:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
1. Depth with the kids
2. Emergence of Diaz/Emelin
3. Tomas Plekanecs
4. The general helped us start hot
5. Patches/Subban/Eller's continued development

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gomez is no longer on the team.

He was sucking up a lot of quality minutes last year as Martin and Cunneyworth tried to breathe life into him.

The easiest minutes of any center on the team. even more than DD. Now those minutes are going to Galchenyuk, and that's the sort of shift that turns around a lot of 1-goal games.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
1.Philosophy change, team first from MB right on down to the player getting the least minutes. Pride of showing that the Habs are much more than what we saw last year.

2. Healthy Markov and PK coming back.

3. MT coaching in a way that utilizes the teams potential/strenghts and knowing when to give and take with each man on the roster.

4. Gallagher/Prust/Galchenyuk. Each night it's at least one or all of them that manages to do something that makes us go "WOW".

5. Potential turning into reality, Lars Eller tops the list, he is so poised with the puck in our end and is a guy to rely on and not worry about. Diaz like many have said has been a gem and hopefully comes back soon.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I agree with everyone here so I just want to say:

Prust has been worth every penny so far. I hope Moen wakes up so we have two grinders in the playoffs.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
5. Pleks He's stepped it up a notch offensively, without sacrificing anything defensively. He's been great for us this year.

4. MB and MT I think that team management has really improved the culture surrounding the team and in the dressing room. The Habs feel more professional to me this year. The Gong Show is over, basically. I also like how MB doesn't play favorites as much as Carbo or Martin did. You rarely get very questionable scoring lines from MT.

3. Offense from the D This could have been expected to a significant degree, but Subban, Markov, and Diaz have blown by even those expectations. We're getting simply fantastic offensive support from the D. It makes a big difference.

2. The "Third Line". I'll admit it's a bit cheap to squeeze in both Gallys and Prust in the same reason, but I really do think that them together has been a major part of our success this year. These guys are creating absolute match-up hells for other teams. Having a 3rd line that can eat most other team's 3rd lines for lunch gives a team a real edge. As far as team personal is concerned, this is the major difference between last year and this year. Our bottom six, and especially our third line, has improved by leaps and bounds.

1. Patches He's been a total force for us since he scored his first goal of the season. The guy is the Power Forward we've always dreamed of. Let's hope he keeps it up! :handclap:

Honourable Mention: Price He's been good, consistent, and reliable. He's been the No. 1 goalie we've needed him to be so far. Thankfully, he hasn't needed to steal many games for us.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
5- Lars Eller AND the youngsters : I think he was dealt with the right way at the start of the season. The progress he has made is fantastic and I really hope he can keep on building his game because he has so much potential. Him being ready as a center made our team that much more flexible AND offensive. Gallagher and galchenyuk can take on some offensive and defensive responsabilities to lighten the load on our top players. they have clutch blood, and they add that ability of timely scoring that makes us so hard to play against.

4 - Duo of Desharnais and Pacioretty : their offensive contribution, and their 5 on 5 game went back on par with last year after a rough start. They are instrumental in this team's chances of going far in the playoffs.

3- our D core : no subban? no problem. still can't believe how well our D's have played this year. Despite the lack of size the mobility of our hitters is allowing us to make it hard for the other team to enter the zone. they all have impressed me, even kaberle for accepting his status, and what to say about diaz ... just wow.

2- Gionta/Prust - Prust is really giving this team another look this year. He can put his money where his mouth is , and there is no denying that it gave confidence to our team. Gionta's contribution has been understated IMO , he gave us some good hockey so far and seems to find the net on a more regular basis now. His leadership has always been important ... I felt he contributed, for example to Bourque's excellent start of the season.

1- Plekanec and the team management. Michel therrien and Bergevin is really what triggered the rest of the top 5. Epic coaching. Plekanec is up here because I think he's MR. hab. Having a pro like that buying into the system and being able to play under any coach, with any wingers, in any situations ... for that number of years ... the guy is just a stud, and doesn't get credited for half of what he does. he is clearly a big part of the team's soul, and has been for years. He is the player I want Desharnais/eller/galchenyuk to look up to.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
It's hard to choose 5 but it's definitely a combination of things. Coaching, management bringing in the right players, young players stepping it up, solid play in all areas of the game.

A couple people have brought it up but I don't think we'd be nearly as good without Plekanec. That guy is so underrated around here. Not to say that he doesn't get love, but he should get more. He does everything. Grabovski makes .5M less than him and is inferior in every single way, Plekanec is probably the best bang for the buck on our team because he does everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->