Half-Way Point - Top 5 Reasons For Success?

Oct 22, 2012
#5 - Health. Hard not to include this in the list with the crazy amount of injuries we've had to endure the past couple of seasons.

#4 - The Youngsters. Their mentality, work ethic, professionalism, and smiling faces has been infectious. They carry themselves with high heads, but not with arrogance. We have been waiting a long time to see this, and it is something that I hope never changes.

#3 - Carey. Don't need to say too much, a few off nights, but he is our backbone.

#2 - Depth. When our top lines are having an off night, or are engaged with tough opposition, our third line has shown that it can step up to handle business. The fourth hasn't been lights out amazing, but you will appreciate what they bring come playoffs.

#1 - Leadership. The culture change in Montreal has given the habs something the fight for. It seems to me there is alot more "hey, they believe in us, talk to us, do all these things for us, so lets go out and win for them, for our fans, for, well, us" this year than at all last year.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
1. Markov's return. I think Subban has the edge on him as far as playing ability but having him back not only adds a top pairing d to the mix, it pushed defenders 3-7 into roles they could succeed at. Biggest difference from last year.

2. Plekanec is superb when playing with real teammates. Plekanec is the same as he always has been, but he's in a position to succeed this year. Plekanec-Gionta have been masterful as the main shutdown line.

3. Middle-six scoring talent. Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Galcheynyuk and Gallagher are sustainably winning big in the offensive situations the rest of the team is setting them up for. The team is deep enough in scoring that they can count on at least one scoring line doing well in almost every game.

4. 4th line are real hockey players. Therrien's is making good use of the bottom line as support to the scoring units by having them mop up on defensive situations.

5. Emelin and Diaz took a step forward, are capable defensemen now after being over their heads in their rookie years.

Habtchum*

1 - New management/coaching team : Good example starts at the top of the pyramid.

2 - Scoring depth : Key « ice » factor. It means that offense doesn't lie on only one line/shoulders. Everybody has off games here and there, so having 3 lines that can score, and who scored, on a regular basis is a key.

3 - Newcomers : Basically, everybody who didn't play last season. We can ice a team loaded with NHL'ers, something that wasn't the case last season.

4 - Improvements : Either due to additionnal experience, or simply to said players not being top shape last season.

5 - Team passes first : No emphasis on individual players. Something I tried to emulate by the way, by not naming a single person in this message. .... And something that users of this Board could really learn to do as well.

*HM : A bit lucky on the side.

I definitely like your post the best.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
5- Geoff Molson for hiring Marc Bergevin

4- Marc Bergevin for hiring Michel Therrien

3- Michel Therrien for giving us the new 2013 avatar theme NO EXCUSES

2- Gary Bettman for giving us half a season

1- Marie Pier Morin for dating Brandon Prust

MtotheO

Mar 6, 2013
Top reason is this guy:

Love this new management that actually «cares».

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
You look at where this team was at the end of last year. It was a banged up group with only one scoring line.

You add back Gionta, and a healthy bourque, along with two talented kids in gallagher and galchenyuk, and all of a sudden, you go from one line offense, to three lines.

A healthy markov is massive. He's not what he once was, but he still eats quality minutes, and does a reasonably good job.

So its obvious that health is the #1 reason for the turnaround.

1) Health
2) Injection of Youth
3) Prust signing (his versatility is huge)

I can come up with 2 other reasons but I don't think they are nearly as important.

Dec 2, 2010
There really is no top 5. Everything went right. I mean EVERYTHING. All the players stepped up apart from maybe Moen and Army. Before the concussions, we really had no injuries.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
1) Everyone chipping in - this isn't a one line team every night. Every game we gets performances from different players, whether last night being Prust or Budaj against Boston.

2) Organizations not a circus - last year Gauthier turned the most storied franchise in the NHL into amateur hour, with his in-game trades and his pre-game firings. No more.

3) The kids - These guys are still young enough that they play for the love of the game, and not a paycheck. This rubs off on all the guys. Plus they're pretty damn good at hockey too.

4) Buying into the system - this year you can tell the boys are truly lay it on the line for each other. Brandon Prust is a huge part of this, but it flows through the room.

5)Improvements to Key players - player improvements, from guys like Emelin, Eller, Diaz, and Subban have really put this team where it's needed to be. Last year, they were all rookies or sophomores. This year, they've made adjustments to their games and it's paid off for everyone.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
1) Got rid of a big distraction in Gomez by buying him out. No more talk of how bad the trade was or how bad he is underperforming for his contract

2) Great Forechecking

3) favorable schedule - lots of home games during the first dozen games or so

4) Better at retaining leads

5) Not relying on 1 single line to score; the output has been relatively even

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
1) Got rid of a big distraction in Gomez by buying him out. No more talk of how bad the trade was or how bad he is underperforming for his contract

Not too mention he's no longer stealing ice time from Eller at the C position and no longer getting PP time he didn't earn.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Geoff Molson.

Can you imagine what kind of laughing stock we might be right now if he had brought in Pierre McGuire as GM and Patrick Roy as coach, as so many people and media personalities were clamoring for? It all starts at the top. Molson hired the right people and it caused an amazing trickle-down effect.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is there anything that hasn't gone right this year?

Kids are playing great.
Price has been awesome.
Markov has been healthy and effective.
Change in culture has been positive
Plex and Max have been solid
Even Bourque was playing well. Eller has improved a lot.
PK's even better than he was last year

Seriously... what can you say that's been bad? We've still got too many smurfs and the team has been pushed around in a couple of games but that's about it.
Geoff Molson.

Can you imagine what kind of laughing stock we might be right now if he had brought in Pierre McGuire as GM and Patrick Roy as coach, as so many people and media personalities were clamoring for? It all starts at the top. Molson hired the right people and it caused an amazing trickle-down effect.
I like what Bergevin has done. I wasn't a fan of how he treated Subban but otherwise he's done well in working to change the culture. Same with MT who seems to have done a pretty good job overall.

I don't even want to think about what it would be like if Roy and McGuire were ruining (sorry I mean running) the show...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Kids are playing great.
Price has been awesome.
Even Bourque was playing well

Seriously... what can you say that's been bad? We've still got too many smurfs and the team has been pushed around in a couple of games but that's about it.

Impossible, he always been that good.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
#1 Reason: Scoring Depth. Suddenly, there's a whole new level of production from Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bourque and Prust, plus improvements from Eller. Once you have scoring depth on three and a half lines, you can afford to have one or two guys injured and still be effective.

#2 Reason: Emelin, Diaz and Markov. You can't score if your D isn't transitioning and passing it quickly. Our 5-on-5 has been amazing, and that begins with a corps of D that's (usually) smart and disciplined, snapping the puck out of our zone and on the PP much better than last year. Biggest difference from last year has been E, D and M. When they've lapsed, so has our team.

#3 Reason: Price & Budaj. As we've seen, if the goalie is shaky, we lose, no matter how many goals we score. Price has been elite 90% of the time, Budaj has been great 80% of the time. Our record reflects their performances.

#4 Reason: System. Bergevin's vision, Therrien's execution = an aggressive, positive atmosphere.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I agree with everything you said and I will add just a thing.. or two actually.

1- No surprise here I guess but Subban is playing his best hockey this season. Aside from a hot start, Markov isn't the D we used to know. Subban has replaced him big time.

2- Management change. I may be wrong, but changing the culture of the club as a whole, must be for something in the recent success of the habs. I still am thinking we are over performing a bit but last we year we were clearly under performing. Changing the air in the Bell Center migth have been the best thing to happen to us. (And in a way, that brought in Therrien who is huge for us right now)

I don't think the Habs are overperforming. True, they've had an infusion of talent, but Markov is back and Bourque contributed to Plekanec's revival before he was injured. Budaj and Emelin are better than they were last season and Diaz is much better. Because of the truncated schedule the Habs don't have to play the West teams, which no doubt is a factor. Finally, some of the East teams have been hampered by injuries.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Kids are playing great.
Price has been awesome.
Even Bourque was playing well. Eller has improved a lot.

I like what Bergevin has done. I wasn't a fan of how he treated Subban but otherwise he's done well in working to change the culture. Same with MT who seems to have done a pretty good job overall.

I don't even want to think about what it would be like if Roy and McGuire were ruining (sorry I mean running) the show...

I agreed with you about MT and Subban. At the time, I thought they should have locked PK up now with a healthy, long-term contract which would have saved money over the long run. But there's a valid counter-argument that Bergevin gained considerable respect from the other players and fellow GMs by standing tough. That's part of the culture change. What the hell do I know - it worked thus far. Let's watch and judge the next few moves.

As to Roy - that was never a question in my mind. A huge, emphatic, gut-busting, organ-exploding NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Thank goodness....

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
At the halfway mark of the season, the Habs find themselves at the top of the East with a record of 15-5-4.

In your opinion, what are the five biggest reasons for the Habs success?

5. Carey Price
Teetered off a bit lately but he came out the gates looking solid and played well last night to get back into the groove.

4. Rafa Diaz
Coming into the season, I never expected him to be this good. Thanks in part to Subban signing late, Diaz got his chance to shine and did exactly that.

3. Brandon Prust
What a warrior. Contributes the occasional offense and plays solid at both ends. Became a fan favorite quickly.

2. The kids
Everyone expected them to be good but wow, are they playing amazing. A big reason why the Habs have been able to spread out their offense through three lines.

1. Michel Therrien
I was one of the guys to say, "give him a chance." He's brought a new system and dynamic to the team and the players have eaten it all up. Plus, his post-game interviews are always great.

What's your top 5?

Don't look now, but we have I think 6 players who prorate to min. 12 goals this year. That's min. 20 in 82 games. 6 20 goal or more scorers is damn good.

24stanleycups*

5 Price
4 Health
3 A whole new line (gally,prust,gallagher)
2 Therrien
1 Health

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
5) price/ Budaj. Both goalies have good except for maybe 4 games all year.
4) prust. Good at both ends of the ice and helped the rookies get there start and haven't looked back
3) chucky and gally what can we say both have been solid and brought in an exciting and fresh environment
2) marc bergevin. He didn't do much. Bought in prust cube and army but that's not what he done well he believed in the core of the team and the players so far have responded with production on the ice.
1) Michel therrien I had my doubts but he brought in a game plan and it is working for this team.
Honorable mentions to Eller he has played well since being singled out.
Bourque much better before getting hurt and Diaz I thought he would've been just another d out there and not get noticed btw totally the opposite. Pleks and pacs solid as usual too. Subban also proving bergevin wrong by not signing him long term. And Markov is being the general even though he is not putting up points lately. But he is logging top notch minutes and being solid.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
2. Plekanec is superb when playing with real teammates. Plekanec is the same as he always has been, but he's in a position to succeed this year. Plekanec-Gionta have been masterful as the main shutdown line.

I agree with you (although most here will probably disagree) that Plekanec has benefited from having a healthy Gionta. However, I think we're also seeing an early-mid season version of Plekanec, the perception of whom is erased by late-season Plekanec every spring.

Here are Plekanec's hockeyreference monthly career splits:

Oct - 79gp, 35pts - .67ppg
Nov - 92gp, 63pts - .68ppg
Dec - 94gp, 62pts - .66ppg
Jan - 84gp, 62pts - .74ppg
Feb - 95gp, 72pts - .76ppg
Mar - 98gp, 55pts - .56ppg
Apr - 33gp, 11pts - .33ppg

I'd like to see some splits of underlying numbers too... but these boxcar stats match what I've been seeing over the last few years. IMO Plekanec loses his edge after a season of tough minutes. I don't think it has to do with a higher intensity game (unfortunately the "little girl" comment has reinforced that narrative), I think it's a stamina issue. I'm hoping Therrien can manage his minutes, and maybe Eller can do some heavy lifting at the end of the regular season, because we'll need this mid-season version of Plekanec if we're to do any damage in the playoffs.

Basically, that's why I put "Plekanec playing with renewed energy" as a reason for early season success. He is the same Plek that we've seen before, but not necessarily the same Plek he's always been.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with you (although most here will probably disagree) that Plekanec has benefited from having a healthy Gionta. However, I think we're also seeing an early-mid season version of Plekanec, the perception of whom is erased by late-season Plekanec every spring.

Here are Plekanec's hockeyreference monthly career splits:

Oct - 79gp, 35pts - .67ppg
Nov - 92gp, 63pts - .68ppg
Dec - 94gp, 62pts - .66ppg
Jan - 84gp, 62pts - .74ppg
Feb - 95gp, 72pts - .76ppg
Mar - 98gp, 55pts - .56ppg
Apr - 33gp, 11pts - .33ppg

I'd like to see some possession splits too... but these boxcar stats match what I've been seeing over the last few years. IMO Plekanec loses his edge after a season of tough minutes. I don't think it has to do with a higher intensity game (unfortunately the "little girl" comment has reinforced that narrative), I think it's a stamina issue. I'm hoping Therrien can manage his minutes, and maybe Eller can do some heavy lifting at the end of the regular season, because we'll need this mid-season version of Plekanec if we're to do any damage in the playoffs.

Agreed, and I hope MT sees the issue and find a way to fix it. Plekanec shouldnt be the only C to eat the tough minutes, it is asking too much for a single guy... and lest not forget tough minutes basically means going against better players than himself (Crosby, Giroux, etc), while he can do it at the beginning of the season when he's fresh, a few months later the guy's exhausted.

And since he's the one eating the toughest minutes of all our forwards, our coach HAS to keep him fresh all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad