GDT: Half-Assed Redux: Canucks @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Even if he can't pick his spot well, I think I'd be totally fine if he stuck around a few years. He brings speed, he's tough, he's not good but I think he wouldn't be too out of place with Josefson and a real NHL player for linemates. I'd take Tootoo over Barch/Janssen/Boulton any day of the week.

The biggest issue will be not giving him a 1.3 million dollar contract like Detroit did.

A shade under 1 million? 800K?

I didn't look it up exactly, but the guy has more offensive effectiveness than Zubrus right now and a few others, based on his points production and TOI. Plays limited 4th line minutes and has churned out about the same production.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
They are going to fall out of the playoffs real soon at this rate.

Bring back Julien Lou!!! Gomez needs to start writing his apology letter.

Still 20 games left. 15games ago the majority were saying they could make it. They still could after all. Flyers and Columbus could still mathematically get back in the race if either gets a 4-5 game win streak.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
They are going to fall out of the playoffs real soon at this rate.

Bring back Julien Lou!!! Gomez needs to start writing his apology letter.

Yeah, I can picture the letter now. Probably would be something like, "Sorry I fired that puck at you. Didn't realize we'd both be stuck back here again someday. Awkward."

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
As bad as this year has been, there really has been a few real bright spots to the club. Cammalleri, Larsson, Severson, and Schneider. It's been fun watching these guys night in and night out regardless of the results.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
As bad as this year has been, there really has been a few real bright spots to the club. Cammalleri, Larsson, Severson, and Schneider. It's been fun watching these guys night in and night out regardless of the results.

Very true. Those players have been great for us. We just need to build up a team around them. Thank you for being optimistic.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I swear to god this is the first time all season that we actually killed a critical late game penalty in a game where we were only up by 1 goal.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
i know we won and all, but it's truly pathetic that we just now got our first 30 point player. you almost can't make up that kind of offensive futility
To be honest, no Nhl player is even on pace for 90 points. Scoring is down all over the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be honest, no Nhl player is even on pace for 90 points. Scoring is down all over the league.

Honestly I didn't even realize that the scoring pace was so low :amazed: And last year only Crosby was >87 points

Maybe old man Lou isn't so crazy still thinking you should win games 2-1.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is also the kind of game where we blow the lead playing the DeBoer system.

8 multi goal leads since he's been gone, zero of those leads tied or lost.

As bad as I think Oates is (and I'm not sure if he should even be the one to take the credit for holding of the leads), we just don't blow leads anymore.

I thought we'd still be blowing them, due to it being a mental thing.

I think Pete or his system more or less, is to blame for a lot of these multi goal leads that were blown. And I really didn't even feel safe with this lead tonight.

It reminded me of that Detroit game after Thanksgiving, the one that really should have been the end of DeBoer if we had any hope of saving the season. We were the beneficiary of some shaky goaltending early in the game and got out to a big lead, then they scored a bunch unanswered and tied it. I think it might have even been a late in regulation penalty that tied that game.:shakehead

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We're holding on to leads better because we're playing even more low event hockey than when Pete was still here. Some nights (like tonight) it works. Other nights we can't get out of our own end.

And Cory is on another level right now as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're holding on to leads better because we're playing even more low event hockey than when Pete was still here. Some nights (like tonight) it works. Other nights we can't get out of our own end.

And Cory is on another level right now as well.

I agree about the low event hockey, but most teams don't blow leads like DeBoer coached teams. There's a few teams that do, the Islanders are one that I know of. I know Edmonton blows quite a few as well.

Lots of teams blow two goal leads, it just doesn't seem to happen to the same team as frequently as us under DeBoer and a few of the other teams I just mentioned. Everyone does it at some point, and I'm sure we will at some point under the new staff. It just happened way too much under Pete, even when we were good in 11-12 it was a problem. Even in the playoffs that year.

And it seems when other teams did it, they were able to recover and win. We usually didn't about 80-85% of the time. That part could be where lack of offense/skill comes in though, so I'll give you that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad