Dreger: Halak available from Vancouver

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
So do the Canucks trade Halak now? Spencer Martin has been pretty good even with the losses he's the reason the Canucks even got a point in both games he's played so far.

Totally! Trade Halak to the highest bidder, then if Mikey DiPietro develops quickly we can flip Spencer too, since he's probably an NHL-caliber backup himself.

Reactions: egelband

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Totally! Trade Halak to the highest bidder, then if Mikey DiPietro develops quickly we can flip Spencer too, since he's probably an NHL-caliber backup himself.
I think you may be jumping the gun a bit on Spencer. That first goal he let it was so bad.

I’d like to trade Halak though, because the backup will one need to play a handful of games from now until the end of the season.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
So do the Canucks trade Halak now? Spencer Martin has been pretty good even with the losses he's the reason the Canucks even got a point in both games he's played so far.
I believe it comes down to whether Halak wants to waive his NMC. The chatter has been that he won’t—but I don’t recall where exactly that was reported.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think you may be jumping the gun a bit on Spencer. That first goal he let it was so bad.

I’d like to trade Halak though, because the backup will one need to play a handful of games from now until the end of the season.

Fair enough, wonder if he just didn't cover or get to the left post quickly enough? 47/50 saves is still very strong though.

Reactions: elitepete

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense. Get something for a guy who isn't really doing anything for the Canucks the rest of this year. Give Halak a chance to play some more meaningful games. He's exactly the sort of guy i'd want as a veteran insurance policy down the stretch. Probably going to be a case of a return that's limited by Halak picking his landing spot. But whatever. Might as well do it, just get something for him.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
NMC doesn’t mean he can’t send him to the press box. And if he doesn’t play more games, he won’t get his bonus.

Thats how you burn bridges and dont get any UFA for the forseeable future

Reactions: LaVal

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not really, he didn’t sign that contract.
Not really, he didn’t sign that contract.
Regardless of who signed the contract there is no hockey reason to not play Halak. Being petty and screwing over a player who signed a contract in good faith isn’t a message you want to send to players and agents. Rutherford knows this.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Regardless of who signed the contract there is no hockey reason to not play Halak. Being petty and screwing over a player who signed a contract in good faith isn’t a message you want to send to players and agents. Rutherford knows this.

Not sure it’s pettiness, it’s business.
All they have to do is go to Halak and say, Benning got fired because he f***ed out the team and the cap and your contract with that bonus is a contributing reason to that. We can’t afford to have your bonus on the cap so we aren’t going to play you. Waive and we will trade you and you will get your bonus.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not sure it’s pettiness, it’s business.
All they have to do is go to Halak and say, Benning got fired because he f***ed out the team and the cap and your contract with that bonus is a contributing reason to that. We can’t afford to have your bonus on the cap so we aren’t going to play you. Waive and we will trade you and you will get your bonus.
Halak did the team a favour allowing his contract to be structured using the easily hit bonuses. Without it they couldn’t have signed him. The reason he has the NMC on the contract is to protect him from the team trying to weasel out of paying him. And you didn’t phrase it like that before. You said to threaten to sit him unless he waived. Which is incredibly petty and unprofessional

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
Chances are the recapture cap hit for next year wont matter if they move out a bunch of older guys for younger players / prospects and picks anyways...

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Petersson and Hughes have not been on the team as long as Mcdavid and Drai has been on the Oilers and Canucks have gone further in playoffs, let that sink in. So why do you think they will go before the ultra competitive McDavid and Drai who will want a cup sooner than later? Especially McDavid who is the best player in the NHL?

No, they havent.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Chances are the recapture cap hit for next year wont matter if they move out a bunch of older guys for younger players / prospects and picks anyways...
It’s not recapture. It’s a bonus that slides to next years cap because Vancouver doesn’t have the cap space this year to cover it

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You didn't notice lately, that... We're out of NHL caliber goaltenders?

I guess losing 8 - 2 with 1 AHL goalie and 1 ECHL goalie wasn't obvious enough.
Who cares? Montambeault is due back this weekend. And at this point wins just lower the chance of a top 3 pick. It’s a lost season. Spending assets for a fill in goalie that comes with a $1.5m bonus cap hit NEXT season is lunacy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad