Dreger: Halak available from Vancouver

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
At this point the Oilers are only THREE points ahead of Canucks with same number of games played. THREE points lol. All these rival fans and analyst keep talking about how Canucks wont make playoffs...blah blah blah with 50 games remaining and Canucks being 5 points out from catching Flames for the 3rd spot in the division. Honestly, it seems more likely for Oilers to miss versus Canucks. I dont know why the bad 15 games the Canucks played under Green has been etched permanently in people's mind that they ignore the team's recent success. Its hilarious and on the other hand people still think Oilers will make the playoffs with no goaltending.

Anything can happen. I'm a Canucks fan myself, so I would prefer the playoffs. If that situation I wrote earlier comes to pass though, and opportunity arises to get a 1st + prospect essentially for free, sign me up.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Get back to me when the Canucks win anything. Chiarelli tried to “jump start” things and “win now” and look where that got us.
Canucks don’t need to win anything for me to point out how bad the Oilers have been with the two best players on the planet :laugh:

Mcdavid and Drai are in their prime, you need to go all in big time. It’s not even up for discussion unless you want to stay mediocre year after year. Mcdavid or Drai will want out and rightfully so.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Canucks don’t need to win anything for me to point out how bad the Oilers have been with the two best players on the planet :laugh:

Mcdavid and Drai are in their prime, you need to go all in big time. It’s not even up for discussion unless you want to stay mediocre year after year. Mcdavid or Drai will want out and rightfully so.
I’ll remember this when Pettersson and Hughes get tired of spinning their wheels. Maybe they’ll get their own statue of waving the white flag, since that’s the pinnacle of Nucks achievement to date. Just don’t riot when it happens.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’ll remember this when Pettersson and Hughes get tired of spinning their wheels. Maybe they’ll get their own statue of waving the white flag, since that’s the pinnacle of Nucks achievement to date. Just don’t riot when it happens.
Imagine comparing Pettersson and Hughes to the two best players on the planet :laugh:

Seems like you’re in denial of how bad the Oilers are and how and they’re managed over the years. I’ve already acknowledged how bad the Canucks have been. Cute riot joke, you know you actually have to make it out of the first round of the playoffs to get to the finals? Stay salty in your posts lol.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
cope-copium.gif

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Petersson and Hughes have not been on the team as long as Mcdavid and Drai has been on the Oilers and Canucks have gone further in playoffs, let that sink in. So why do you think they will go before the ultra competitive McDavid and Drai who will want a cup sooner than later? Especially McDavid who is the best player in the NHL?

Reactions: Canuck86

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Imagine comparing Pettersson and Hughes to the two best players on the planet :laugh:

Seems like you’re in denial of how bad the Oilers are and how and they’re managed over the years. I’ve already acknowledged how bad the Canucks have been. Cute riot joke, you know you actually have to make it out of the first round of the playoffs to get to the finals? Stay salty in your posts lol.
Its also funny that he keeps talking like the Oilers have done anything in playoffs. Canucks are further ahead with cleaning up from the front office and top managment down to coaches. They have a clean slate and Hughes and Petersson probably appreciate the changes. While nothing has changed with Oilers, it has been the same thing year after year with Bob Nicholson in charge.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Skinner might not be the solution, but he’s shown enough that it’s worth trying. It’s at least as reasonable as wasting an asset and precious cap space on a 36 yr old career backup. The level of butthurt you’ve got because I don’t think Halak is our best option is amusing.

He is still much younger than that dianosaur you have who is a starter for you guys. At this point the 36 year old Halak will look like a young Demko between the pipe for the Oilers.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Oh, I don’t know about that. The trade for Ekman-Larsson isn’t 21 years old.
OEL has played phenomenally. Much better than the 9.5 million dollar Nurse. In fact if Oilers offered Nurse for OEL, Canucks would reject the offer in nano seconds due to Nurse having that big contract. Also I think OEL would be the best defender on the Oilers team if he was playing there.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We need to convince Ryder to come out of retirement.
Ryder, Halak and a second would be the ultimate trade package.

But I’m not sure the Canucks can afford to trade Halak as they don’t really have a capable backup at this point and what if Demko has to enter Covid protocol at some point. DiPietro needs to get lots of playing time in the AHL this year.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Its also funny that he keeps talking like the Oilers have done anything in playoffs. Canucks are further ahead with cleaning up from the front office and top managment down to coaches. They have a clean slate and Hughes and Petersson probably appreciate the changes. While nothing has changed with Oilers, it has been the same thing year after year with Bob Nicholson in charge.
Let's not pretend Vancouver didn't sing the same song with Benning and Green for years before it got so bad they basically had to do something.

Neither fanbase has any room to be slinging shit at anyone. Hell, none of the Canadian teams period have a real leg to stand. They're all grossly mismanaged with the exception of maybe Winnipeg. Yet they all bark at each other like their shit don't stink.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I’m salty for rejecting an overpriced Halak proposal you say? Believe whatever you wish.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
OEL has played phenomenally. Much better than the 9.5 million dollar Nurse. In fact if Oilers offered Nurse for OEL, Canucks would reject the offer in nano seconds due to Nurse having that big contract. Also I think OEL would be the best defender on the Oilers team if he was playing there.
Start a poll over which of the two is better.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think he could be a real shrewd pickup by a playoff team.

Three years ago he was a .922 goalie, then 2 years ago he was a .919 goalie, last year was shortened but he kinda took a hit and was only .905 but this year he's back up to .915 and on a crappy Canucks team.

I think he'd be a smart move for a team like Edmonton, or a team that has a questionable starter.
On a playoff team, i would not be surprised to see him go in and keep playing at a .915 pace or better.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Calm down, he isn't going to a division rival when we are in a WC hunt. If I was the Oilers, I wouldn't give up a 1st for him either. They have way more holes in their lineup than goaltending, so fixing one doesn't move the needle for them.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think he could be a real shrewd pickup by a playoff team.

Three years ago he was a .922 goalie, then 2 years ago he was a .919 goalie, last year was shortened but he kinda took a hit and was only .905 but this year he's back up to .915 and on a crappy Canucks team.

I think he'd be a smart move for a team like Edmonton, or a team that has a questionable starter.
On a playoff team, i would not be surprised to see him go in and keep playing at a .915 pace or better.
I tend to agree, just don't think EDM should give up too much for him

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Skinner is 23, has Smith to split duty or back him up, and I watched all his starts. It’s more than numbers, he’s looked calm and capable between the pipes. Are you saying we shouldn’t run with him and see what we’ve got because Jaro Halak is going to come in and solve things for us? Which is the more reasonable stance? If Skinner can carry the mail, it can help turn around the season and more importantly it helps solve a huge log jam in terms of cap space coming this summer.

Doubt Jaroslav Halak gets traded to the Oilers, but seeing how the Canucks developed multiple #1 goalies in recent history, the sink or swim method is not how they would develop a goalie.

Oilers can do what they want though.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Doubt Jaroslav Halak gets traded to the Oilers, but seeing how the Canucks developed multiple #1 goalies in recent history, the sink or swim method is not how they would develop a goalie.

Oilers can do what they want though.
Yep when it comes to goalies, the Canucks know how to pick em and develop them. They picked and developed Schneider, they traded for and developed Markstrom, they picked and developed Demko and they have picked Dipietro and are developing him slowly. Plus they have the best goalie coach in the league in Clark. Canucks basically went from a goalie graveyard to a goalie mecca after they traded for Luongo. It has been pretty smooth sailing for them since that trade.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I tend to agree, just don't think EDM should give up too much for him
Ideally from Edm's perspective, for sure. Everyone buying wants to pay least and sellers want to maximize... at the end of the day the cost/value is whatever someone is willing to pay, and i suspect someone will pay a 3rd at least but possibly as high as a 2nd and b- prospect

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yep when it comes to goalies, the Canucks know how to pick em and develop them. They picked and developed Schneider, they traded for and developed Markstrom, they picked and developed Demko and they have picked Dipietro and are developing him slowly. Plus they have the best goalie coach in the league in Clark. Canucks basically went from a goalie graveyard to a goalie mecca after they traded for Luongo. It has been pretty smooth sailing for them since that trade.

Literally the only thing this franchise has done well over the last decade is draft and develop goalies. Easy to see the sink or swim method with Skinner would be a sure fire loser approach to developing your best young goalie.

I don't think Halak should be a target for the Oilers either way. Ullmark might be the best priced #1 goalie on the market.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad