Dreger: Halak available from Vancouver

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He has been better than advertised in Vancouver. Very Very solid and dependable. I'm not sure how he would fair if you are trading for him to be your workhorse but he can definitely be a top end backup/insurance policy for a playoff team as well as a stabilizer that can share the crease with as 1A/1B that can play half of the games remaining if needed.

I doubt anyone trades for Halak before he plays 2 more games for the Canucks. Correct me if I'm wrong but if a team does that then they would have to eat the 1.5 cap hit next year from the bonus incentive.

Safe to say he will play 2 more games with the Canucks but will also be traded before trade deadline.

With all the cancellations due to Covid, the re-make NHL schedule will have ALOT of back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights so a backup goalie like Halak will be extremely valuable.

Which teams do you think would be interested in Halak and what would be the return.

He is an upcoming UFA and also has a No Move Clause.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
To Edmonton: Halak and Chaisson

To Vancity: 1st, Koskinen and a prospect

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I wouldn't mind the Avs looking at him as insurance against injuries in net, but he'd need to be pretty cheap for it to make sense.

Pretty cheap as in cost?

or Pretty cheap AAV?

His cost will depend on demand and I think there is alot of teams looking for high end backups because the schedule is about to get extremely congested.

His AAV is 1.5mil. extremely cheap

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Pretty cheap as in cost?

or Pretty cheap AAV?

His cost will depend on demand and I think there is alot of teams looking for high end backups because the schedule is about to get extremely congested.

His AAV is 1.5mil. extremely cheap

plays 2 more games he has a 1.5 bonus kick in--that is why they want to move him and the team that plays him those 2 games in on the line for the entire bonus--not the canucks--unless they changed the rules

Jaroslav Halák Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Kosk is UFA after this season and no way in hell do the oilers give up a 1st in this deal

edited, thought for some reason Koski had another year.

I think poster was being sarcastic with the offer.

Regardless, I'm not sure Halak waives for Edmonton.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Get real. That 1st is only available for a legit starter

I heard theres som promising young goalie in Providence Bruins AHL. Some Tuukka Rask. He just signed a PTO and would probably be happy to get a chance in NHL?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Get real. That 1st is only available for a legit starter

The 1st is never available from Oilers.

They like to never give Mcdavid and Draisaitl a chance to have a top end NHL roster, instead they just use the 1st to draft guys like:

Xavier Bourgoult
Dylan Holloway
Broberg

Mcdvid and Drai can possibly be long gone before these guys are regulars.

I never understand why the Oilers always handcuff their own team during the Mcdavid prime years.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Halak isn't getting a 1st, but I could see him waiving for Edmonton given that he legitimately has a chance to steal the starter role.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Halak isn't getting a 1st, but I could see him waiving for Edmonton given that he legitimately has a chance to steal the starter role.

What makes you think being a starter is important to Halak.

If it was, I doubt he would have signed with a team that has Demko.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
To the Pens once he plays 2 more games and we aren't on the hook for the bonus money. Can someone please confirm that is actually how that works?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What makes you think being a starter is important to Halak.

If it was, I doubt he would have signed with a team that has Demko.

in addition to signing with the B's many years ago with Tuukka being in Beantown.

that said I can see edmonton all over this cause there is a very good possibility that Halak could very well steal or become EDM's number 1.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Halak by himself isn't worth much.

If you traded him along with someone like Ryder and a 2nd you could probably land a pretty good player in return.
t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
To the Pens once he plays 2 more games and we aren't on the hook for the bonus money. Can someone please confirm that is actually how that works?

Yes thats what the Athletic has confirmed.

Its not so much the bonus money but its the cap hit.

From my understanding,

whoever Halak plays his 10th game for, will be on the hook for 1.25 mil cap space next year.

Which is why I dont think a team trades for Halak until he plays 2 more games with the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad