Dreger: Halak available from Vancouver

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Not sure it’s pettiness, it’s business.
All they have to do is go to Halak and say, Benning got fired because he f***ed out the team and the cap and your contract with that bonus is a contributing reason to that. We can’t afford to have your bonus on the cap so we aren’t going to play you. Waive and we will trade you and you will get your bonus.

And then next year when we approach UFA (insert name here) and they remember just exactly how we do business?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And then next year when we approach UFA (insert name here) and they remember just exactly how we do business?
Pretty sure we won’t be offering contracts structured like that with the new regime. The Halak contract was structured so that the bonus counts in a season where Halak is not on the team.
This is a new management group, they didn’t make the promise to play Halak for 10+ games. You can’t break a promise you didn’t make.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
That's what I meant.. If they re-tool or rebuild and go young the cap space next year isn't a massive deal..
Sorry. Just me being anal retentive. So many fans seem to be clueless about recapture is that I tend to jump in and correct when I see it being used out of context. I know. I’m worse than a grammar nazi. Lol

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Pretty sure we won’t be offering contracts structured like that with the new regime. The Halak contract was structured so that the bonus counts in a season where Halak is not on the team.
This is a new management group, they didn’t make the promise to play Halak for 10+ games. You can’t break a promise you didn’t make.
Regardless of who signed the contract it was negotiated with the team in good faith. Going out of your way to screw over a player regardless of who negotiated the deal isn’t a good look.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cost to acquire. Unless (until?) the Avs have injury issues, we only really need a 3rd stringer, so I'd want the return to reflect that. Definitely don't want to get into a bidding war for a guy who I hope never plays.

The issue with acquiring any goalie like Halak is that they have to pass through waivers, because the Avs aren't carrying 3 goalies for the rest of the season.

There really isn't many options of a reliable #3 that have already passed through waivers.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The issue with acquiring any goalie like Halak is that they have to pass through waivers, because the Avs aren't carrying 3 goalies for the rest of the season.

There really isn't many options of a reliable #3 that have already passed through waivers.

Yes, that's all true. But, they still need someone better than Annunen as the 3rd stringer, given the injury histories of their netminders. If Halak could be had for a 4th or 5th round pick (which is probably unlikely anyway), I think it's worth considering. Maybe trying to find someone on waivers would be better, or maybe there's someone else they could trade for, but they should probably do something.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes, that's all true. But, they still need someone better than Annunen as the 3rd stringer, given the injury histories of their netminders. If Halak could be had for a 4th or 5th round pick (which is probably unlikely anyway), I think it's worth considering. Maybe trying to find someone on waivers would be better, or maybe there's someone else they could trade for, but they should probably do something.

We'd be giving up a 4th/5th just for nothing, because any goalie like Halak would easily get claimed.

The best our #3 could be would be someone like Calvin Pickard or Troy Grosenick.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Spencer Martin is sorta making Halak expendable, at least for this season's outlook.
Halak already going on COVID protocol probably makes him a more attractive asset (due to the decreased likelihood of him getting it again)
Two games left before his bonus is due. He'll need to play at least one after the COVID protocol to show he's good to go ahead of any trade.
The receiving team has to be able to absorb a $1,250,000 bill and cap hit the first game that they play him - I don't think the Canucks should expect a big return for this reason. A late pick from a desperate team at best.

edit: had the wrong performance bonus figure.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
We'd be giving up a 4th/5th just for nothing, because any goalie like Halak would easily get claimed.

The best our #3 could be would be someone like Calvin Pickard or Troy Grosenick.

I'll honestly be surprised if he doesn't go for more than a 4th/5th in the first place, which makes the whole thing moot anyway. I could see a team that needs a backup offering a 3rd, easily.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Regardless of who signed the contract it was negotiated with the team in good faith. Going out of your way to screw over a player regardless of who negotiated the deal isn’t a good look.
I don’t think so, we’ve seen teams dick players around and that doesn’t seem to affect them. If JR and his staff has a long history of not honoring their promise then yeah that’s a problem but we know that’s not true and players and agent can see incidents like this as one off. People know that this management need to clean up to mess in Vancouver and this contract is part of the mess.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Doesn’t seem like he’s willing to waive… but if he does we’d ask for a 2nd, likely settling for a 3rd.
For sure, I'd take a 3rd or a similar level prospect for Halak, and run with Spencer Martin for the handful of games Demko won't play. The return isn't all that important, avoiding the Bonus is.

Even if it's a 5th round pick and 1.25 mil in cap space next year, that's all good.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
For sure, I'd take a 3rd or a similar level prospect for Halak, and run with Spencer Martin for the handful of games Demko won't play. The return isn't all that important, avoiding the Bonus is.

Even if it's a 5th round pick and 1.25 mil in cap space next year, that's all good.
Or contrastly, and is not ideal, but wait for his two more games and get something more. Trade to a poorly managed yet desperate team like Edmonton to get a better asset

But yeah would prefer to trade him before the bonuses kick in

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Apparently not willing to waive, loves living in Vancouver and enjoying his time. Huge on skiing and mountains reportedly.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Apparently not willing to waive, loves living in Vancouver and enjoying his time. Huge on skiing and mountains reportedly.

I'm pretty sure there's provisions in his contract that indicates he's not able to do stuff like skiing...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Who cares? Montambeault is due back this weekend. And at this point wins just lower the chance of a top 3 pick. It’s a lost season. Spending assets for a fill in goalie that comes with a $1.5m bonus cap hit NEXT season is lunacy
Get your meds already.. You can bury a player for 1m, who gives a f*** about 500k hit for 1 season... :facepalm:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Get your meds already.. You can bury a player for 1m, who gives a f*** about 500k hit for 1 season... :facepalm:
His bonus’s slide to next season. It’s a wasted $1.5m. Why would Montreal bother? Makes zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad