Player Discussion Had Pettersson Regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Thats the same narrative…..in both cases he hasn’t helped their development. It’s compeletely consistent. It’s clear that this organization can’t develop players. The record in that department is deplorable and I find it very hard to believe that they have been completely unable to develop anyone else but somehow they have managed to do something with these other players?

Players chomping at the bit to start the season…no kidding, every player in every team was and will tweet the same things. That is entirely meaningless.

Yes some players are playing well. Many aren’t. Many are stumbling significantly.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not defending Pettersson or saying his play is acceptable as it’s not. What I’m saying is you MUST first determine if these other factors are having an impact on that play before you consider moving on. If you don’t do that then you will likely make a massive mistake.

I also don’t think he played poorly last night. He was engaged. He was in on chances and generated chances. It wasn’t a great game or even a good one but it wasn’t bad.
The players honestly believed that this season was not going to be like last year..They did not come into camp with a dreary attitude carried over from last season. (not this again...)....Although in the last 2-3 weeks, as the heat gets turned up.. I agree, they (along with the rest of the squad) must be questioning themselves.

Both Boeser and Pettersson are just not physically able to play up their standards..Boeser was flying in the the first preseason game against the Kraken (I remember commenting in the GDT, about how his skating had dramatically improved)..He was absent after that game for the whole pre season..He's been a half step behind all season..I say he's currently got a bum groin.

I dont think they should move on from Pettersson...As to whats affecting his game, its both physical, and mental...Being a physical fitness/and health and nutrition nut, he has his own personal trainers in Sweden..He's an intelligent guy..Most top end players hire people outside their organizations to assist them in their hockey development skills...So,I dont see how the team fouled up his development in any way, and I bet if you asked him about it....you'd get a confused look..

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The players honestly believed that this season was not going to be like last year..They did not come into camp with a dreary attitude carried over from last season. (not this again...)....Although in the last 2-3 weeks, as the heat gets turned up.. I agree, they (along with the rest of the squad) must be questioning themselves.

Both Boeser and Pettersson are just not physically able to play up their standards..Boeser was flying in the the first preseason game against the Kraken (I remember commenting in the GDT, about how his skating had dramatically improved)..He was absent after that game for the whole pre season..He's been a half step behind all season..I say he's currently got a bum groin.

I dont think they should move on from Pettersson...As to whats affecting his game, its both physical, and mental...Being a physical fitness/and health and nutrition nut, he has his own personal trainers in Sweden..He's an intelligent guy..Most top end players hire people outside their organizations to assist them in their hockey development skills...So,I dont see how the team fouled up his development in any way, and I bet if you asked him about it....you'd get a confused look..

I don’t think any player really comes in with doom and gloom on their minds no matter the team they are on. But reality starts to set in pretty quick. I think by the time camp broke there were the same questions that affected the team to start last season starting to pop up. There were curious decisions being made and you knew pressure was going to come immediately given the lack of success.

I won’t even say it’s a lack of effort or anything. It’s just a poorly constructed roster…never really had a fighting chance to be successful. Models etc can certainly be ignored but they’ve been pretty darn accurate which is why they get used and refined further.

Since the Avs-Knights-Ducks fiasco it’s hard to judge anything because quite frankly that should have been the straw the broke the camels back. All it showed was that ownership is MIA. I’m not shocked things got worse.

Boeser…i agree that something happened. It wasn’t just pre-season he started well but the season itself. His skating looked good. Now it’s back to the labored skating like when he came back from the back injury. That concerns me very much to tell you the truth. His confidence is also shot. Normally on that 2-on-1 he’s roofing it and it’s a foregone conclusion the red light is turning on. Instead he gives a terrible 2 foot pass to Pettersson.

Pettersson I don’t know what the issue is but while everyone wants to discount the wrist injury as being healed it may not be or it may really have messed with him in addition to the other stuff.

Horvat…he has his once a game individual effort and face offs and pretty much nothing else.

You can go down the list even more. Garland had a good start and then went MIA for 10 games. Came back for a few and was invisible last night as well.

I honestly think a large chunk of it is the problems for a lot of the forwards stems from the back end. You pretty much have 4 wastes of space on any given night back there.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
If it was just Petey I'd be concerned, but there is no way in hell he, and Brock, and Bo all collectively forgot how to be good at hockey at the same time. It has to be external factors like systems and coaching or the dynamic in the room. Regardless, get some changes happening asap.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As the team was getting booed last night, I was wondering what must have been going through the minds of Boeser and EP...?...Neither player has witnessed this from a Vancouver crowd..More than any of the other players, they played the biggest role in sending Green and Benning packing, and will be looking in the mirror a bit harder than their teammates..imo.

Before everybody jumps in, there are plenty of other reasons for Benning being shown the door.

The two biggest killers this season have been the historically awful PK and team scoring (28th in the league)...Benning (roster construction), and Green (deployment) get the blame for the PK...EP and Boeser (and Bo to a milder extent) have been no-shows for a squad that should be in the top 10 as far as scoring and PP..imo.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
As the team was getting booed last night, I was wondering what must have been going through the minds of Boeser and EP...?...Neither player has witnessed this from a Vancouver crowd..More than any of the other players, they played the biggest role in sending Green and Benning packing, and will be looking in the mirror a bit harder than their teammates..imo.

Before everybody jumps in, there are plenty of other reasons for Benning being shown the door.

The two biggest killers this season have been the historically awful PK and team scoring (28th in the league)...Benning (roster construction), and Green (deployment) get the blame for the PK...EP and Boeser (and Bo to a milder extent) have been no-shows for a squad that should be in the top 10 as far as scoring and PP..imo.
Maybe is time to change the face on that avatar. ;)

Reactions: Pavel96

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Man Ive seen enough, see what other teams are offering for him. Im sure someone will be willing to overpay

Reactions: Bobby9

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
He’s playing well, just not like a superstar. Had a good game, needs to start generating more offensively.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Man I've seen enough, see what other teams are offering for him. I'm sure someone will be willing to overpay

It's been 2 games, if Bruce can kickstart Brock's season I think it's too early to write off Petey.
I get that it's reasonable to have expectations since he's playing with Garland and Podkolzin but I'd say give him around 10 games and if he's still not productive maybe something happens then.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
It's been 2 games, if Bruce can kickstart Brock's season I think it's too early to write off Petey.
I get that it's reasonable to have expectations since he's playing with Garland and Podkolzin but I'd say give him around 10 games and if he's still not productive maybe something happens then.

Its been 28 games and he hasnt shown much

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Guy has been invisible since last year. Even tonight, he was just there...

I compared his potential to prime Datsyuk his rookie season... he's playing like post prime Naslund right now.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Canucks have a history of giving up on prospects too quickly...

We need to patient with the kids... Petey will be a star in this league

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
I don’t know… I’ve notice him trying these last two games, I think he’ll turn it around. I think there was somethings going on behind the scenes with Pettersson, management and coaching because he seems happier since the firings.

Ever since Fredo fired Dim.... we all are sleeping better.. food tastes better... our relationships are going better..... even the air outside seems fresher.....

Life is good again.

When Fredo gets booted... then everything will be perfect.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hes got this year and next year. If he doesn't look better by the end of next year you have to look at shopping him. Otherwise, you cannot commit to him long term when his bridge is up, and he can accept qualifying offer straight to UFA.

OldYeller00

Nov 27, 2021
I can’t see him rebounding. 45-60 point player. Too slow. Skinny. Bambi legs. That’s all folks.the book is out on him. Easy to play against.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
as long as he starts building confidence with bruce over the last half of the season I think he'll be fine

it is what it is this season but he's wayyyyyyyy too young and has shown way too much promise to be just written off after a bad season (or 60 games or however long its been)

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Patience people. W Nylander was way crapier full season plus playoff, now look at him.

When nothing works. Do what works besy and build from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad