Player Discussion Had Pettersson Regressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
actually it's actually a generous thing he did because I've never heard Trevor Linden, Naslund, Luongo, or any Canuck actually doing something as general as this, except for the Sedins who donated 1.5 million to children's hospital.

It is a generous thing, but Linden, Naslund, and Luongo did raise money for charities and have luxury boxes where they invite kids to the game. It's been an expectation here for a long time.

Linden, Naslund, and the Sedins were known for their work in the community. Linden especially was a bit of a trailblazer. The torch was passed to Naslund and then to the Sedins. The Sedins are loved for their work off the ice. It wasn't just about the money they donated but the time they put in. The bar is set pretty high here.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
It is a generous thing, but Linden, Naslund, and Luongo did raise money for charities and have luxury boxes where they invite kids to the game. It's been an expectation here for a long time.

Linden, Naslund, and the Sedins were known for their work in the community. Linden especially was a bit of a trailblazer. The torch was passed to Naslund and then to the Sedins. The Sedins are loved for their work off the ice. It wasn't just about the money they donated but the time they put in. The bar is set pretty high here.

Yeah, I'll remain forever a Linden fan due to his tireless community work, especially with sick or underprivileged kids. Sedins took the torch and ran with it as well.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Hence why I said it's a nice thing he did, do you people not read? Regarding Naslund and Luongo not sure, but Linden almost lived at Canucks place for the children, he gave back to this city a lot hence why he was respected and liked so much throughout this city, he always gave back to the city of Vancouver.

Naslund also spent a lot of time there.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
He has 3 points in the last 12 games. Production wise he's getting worse as the season goes along. Playing on the 3rd line certainly doesn't help, but it's not like his play warrants him a top-six position.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He has 3 points in the last 12 games. Production wise he's getting worse as the season goes along. Playing on the 3rd line certainly doesn't help, but it's not like his play warrants him a top-six position.

Tonight back to top 6 minutes with 18 minutes of ice time. But same story of 0 points 5v5.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The only thing on his stat line today was 1 shot block

0 shots on goal in the last 2 games
7 shots on goal in his last 6 games

The comments from the summer about being on a winning team backfired on him
As did every single move this FO has made these past 8 years.

Womp womp

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
On the other hand Pettersson was one of a handful of Canucks that had the better of scoring chance and expected goals share. I didn’t think his game was that bad last night. I thought he worked hard, hit a post, and made some errors. Some of that is certainly biased stats from the third (the lotto line were reunited are the only three that have 50+% scoring chance share), but regardless he wasn’t being owned last night. He was a post away from a decent game. Not a good one but decent.

You had only 5 players with over 40% scoring chance share (lotto line, podz, Hughes).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
The Canucks should just try putting Pettersson on the wing until he gets his mojo back

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
No show Pettey strikes again. At this rate he's bowling a perfect 300. What a waste of 7.3 million in cap space at this point so far.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No show Pettey strikes again. At this rate he's bowling a perfect 300. What a waste of 7.3 million in cap space at this point so far.

I disagree. I don’t think he was a no-show last night. I’d say he was one of the few that actually showed a bit. The no shows were more on the Horvat, Garland, Miller side of things.

Anyone else open to a Pettersson/Dahlin swap?

No.

You wait until there is a different voice in leadership and behind the bench before moving him. The next phase of the Canucks will not be built around Horvat and Miller and likely not Boeser.

You either try to build around Pettersson, Hughes, Podz and Demko or really blow everything apart as there is NOTHING in the system to start a build from. I don’t think we are at that point yet. I think you go in with a plan to try to use Demko and the youngest three skaters.

That said, you need to make that second appraisal in the proper amount of time. It’s not 3 years of rope but rather this time next year type thing. If he doesn’t have his game back at that point then yes you move him…if he doesn’t have his game back by then he has likely already asked for a move. But they need to make the leadership moves ASAP because otherwise you lose that appraisal window.

Reactions: Nucker101

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
ITs not the leadership, coaching staff that is making Petey play like trash... He just isnt strong enough , fast enough, of skilled enough right now to overcome being out muscled by bigger stronger Dman/forwards.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Like if you look at his stats he's technically producing at a better pp/g rate then the Sedins did early in their career, and I remember the fans wanting them gone for being too soft. The difference imo the Sedins had that six sense being brothers they knew where they were without looking for each other and they worked hard to get stronger, where EP is all alone and doesn't have that six sense to make blind passes to his partner, he really needs to bulk up like Horvat imo to become successful in this league, he's just to fragile.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
ITs not the leadership, coaching staff that is making Petey play like trash... He just isnt strong enough , fast enough, of skilled enough right now to overcome being out muscled by bigger stronger Dman/forwards.

If you don’t think the circus that is this franchise right now doesn’t affect how players play I don’t know what to tell you. It likely won’t affect all players but you have MULTIPLE players in the core completely underperforming, Pettersson is one. Boeser is another. Horvat is yet another.

He likely needs to be stronger etc but he wasn’t any stronger his first two seasons. What he needs most is development…and this franchise, as has been shown by @MS, is simply the worst at that. Not all good players can do it themselves. Some need help. I suspect Pettersson is one who needs help.

Reactions: MikeK

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
If you don’t think the circus that is this franchise right now doesn’t affect how players play I don’t know what to tell you. It likely won’t affect all players but you have MULTIPLE players in the core completely underperforming, Pettersson is one. Boeser is another. Horvat is yet another.

He likely needs to be stronger etc but he wasn’t any stronger his first two seasons. What he needs most is development…and this franchise, as has been shown by @MS, is simply the worst at that. Not all good players can do it themselves. Some need help. I suspect Pettersson is one who needs help.

Petterson isnt even under preforming he is down right invisible . 3 ev points all season and no signs of him breaking out of it 25 games into the season. Everyone else has still produced despite at a lower level and then there is Petey. That isnt a coaching or management underpreforming thats a player who needs to take a look in the mirror

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Bingo. So right you are. It always amazes me when I see people completely lose sight of the fact these players aren't robots. Look at some of the young kids in Buff. They have some real talented youngsters there but because of the negative aura that's been around that team for far too long their motivation is shot and their production effected.

It's hard for anyone to excel when they hate coming to work everyday. I have no doubt most of the players don't enjoy coming to the rink like they use to. Pettersson definitely needs to man up, but I can only imagine how shitty it feels around that team which will suck the energy right out of every player.

Think about how long the issues have been brewing as well. The internal issues have been going on behind closed doors a lot longer than we all like to think. We're usually the last to hear about things. I imagine there have been issues within the room for a cpl of seasons at least.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

It didnt affect JT Miller, and Pettersson's close friend Quinn Hughes is doing nothing but breaking records this season...Everybody was chomping at the bit with enthusiasm to get this season going...That includes Boeser (who tweeted it out before the season), and EP...

The narrative before the season started was that Green had nothing to do with the development of our star players, they were ready to play out of the box (Green gets no credit)....To, after 20 or so games this season, Green didn't develop them properly (he gets all the credit )..?...Sounds a bit contradictory to me.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It didnt affect JT Miller, and Pettersson's close friend Quinn Hughes is doing nothing but breaking records this season...Everybody was chomping at the bit with enthusiasm to get this season going...That includes Boeser (who tweeted it out before the season), and EP...

The narrative before the season started was that Green had nothing to do with the development of our star players, they were ready to play out of the box (Green gets no credit)....To, after 20 or so games this season, Green didn't develop them properly (he gets all the credit )..?...Sounds a bit contradictory to me.

Thats the same narrative…..in both cases he hasn’t helped their development. It’s completely consistent. “Ready out of the box” doesn’t mean they can’t be better. It means the improvements they have made are primarily coming from their own work. That’s Green not helping. And now as some struggle to get better and take steps back Green/organization continues to not help.

It’s clear that this organization can’t develop players. The record in that department is deplorable and I find it very hard to believe that they have been completely unable to develop anyone else but somehow they have managed to do something with these other players?

Players chomping at the bit to start the season…no kidding, every player in every team was and will tweet the same things. That is entirely meaningless.

Yes some players are playing well. Many aren’t. Many are stumbling significantly. I find it funny when Miller is brought up this season as if his anger with management didn’t manifest in a similar thing last year…. Not all players are the same. Hughes playing well doesn’t mean that others can’t be affected.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not defending Pettersson or saying his play is acceptable as it’s not. What I’m saying is you MUST first determine if these other factors are having an impact on that play before you consider moving on. If you don’t do that then you will likely make a massive mistake.

I also don’t think he played poorly last night. He was engaged. He was in on chances and generated chances. It wasn’t a great game or even a good one but it wasn’t bad.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He wasn't any stronger or less skilled in his first 2 years when he won the Calder and was almost a PPG player.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
At the end of the day, effort doesn't cut it. Pettersson needs to show where it counts, and that's on the stat sheet.

Podkolzin has 5 goals now, both Pettersson and Boeser have 4 and are stapled on the powerplay. It's pretty ridiculous how bad they've been.

Reactions: notsocommonsense
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad