Rumor: Habs won’t qualify Rem Pitlick if he doesn’t sign before the deadline

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
If he does sign before the deadline I guess that means they will qualify him? Oh, wait, that makes no sense.

Long story short: if he doesn't sign, they won't sign him. Great info.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Signing a player and giving him a qualifying offer are two different things.
The point is that the title is silly. There is no circumstance in which there will be a QO. It's a joke. The title infers that there could be a scenario where he both signs a contract and then is offered a contract.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Even last place teams can move up in the following season and win at least 1 playoff rd of hockey. Well most anyways.
Imagine being a Leafs fan and being so bitter you have to troll a Pitlick thread lol. The Leafs fake joke dynasty is over, Matthews will be gone after his contract expires in two seasons. The Leafs will never make it out of the first round again! 67 and counting.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The point is that the title is silly. There is no circumstance in which there will be a QO. It's a joke. The title infers that there could be a scenario where he both signs a contract and then is offered a contract.
How else would you word it? I think the title is perfectly clear on what the Habs' plan is with Pitlick.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Habs must really be pressed for caproom to let him walk for what at Arb. would give him. He could score 20 next year at 25. Easy trade at deadline
He has arbitration rights and isn't worth the money his stat line would fetch him. I'd guess we're looking around 2 mil but he could get 4+ in arbitration if you look at a direct stat comparable like Dvorak or even a guy like Joel Farabee who Pitlick outperformed. Mittelstadt is at 2.5 and was much worse than Rem last year.

Reactions: Canad13ns and pth2

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Simply "The Habs will not qualify Pitlick". No need for the "if he doesn't sign before the deadline", as that is irrelevant.
But that would leave out the pretty important detail that the Habs do actually have the intention to sign Pitlick despite of that.

Reactions: pth2

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Even last year’s Habs roster would beat the Leafs in round one. When we draft Wright the Leafs fake dynasty is toast.
Dude. Get in line. Lol.
I hate the leafs as much as the next guy, but your team is litterally the worst in the league.
The Habs fans can’t say shit this year to anyone.
Worst team in the league.
One player isn’t going to magically pull them out of that hole either.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Signing a player and giving him a qualifying offer are two different things.
I don’t know what the hell that was about lol

Simply "The Habs will not qualify Pitlick". No need for the "if he doesn't sign before the deadline", as that is irrelevant.
It’s not though, as is often the cases with restricted free agents the team has the option to qualify the player past the “deadline”

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

It’s not though, as is often the cases with restricted free agents the team has the option to qualify the player past the “deadline”

If he is not qualified by the deadline, he becomes UFA.

The team can still sign them, but they can't qualify them.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I mean Habs already have too many wingers. Assuming we draft Wright.

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Wright - Anderson
Poehling - Evans - Armia

Byron is on LTIR

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

You don't seem to know what a qualifying offer is, do you ?

I mean Habs already have too many wingers. Assuming we draft Wright.

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Wright - Anderson
Poehling - Evans - Armia

Byron is on LTIR
Teams always have a forward or 2 extra, and given he missed a season of CHL hockey, I think Wright should go back down and have fun for a while, and get a lot of ice time in. I wouldn't want a Joe Thornton type of situation where he plays limited minutes. Keep in mind Drouin, Dadonov and Byron are likely gone after this season, so we can't just let everyone else go either.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
You don't seem to know what a qualifying offer is, do you ?

Teams always have a forward or 2 extra, and given he missed a season of CHL hockey, I think Wright should go back down and have fun for a while, and get a lot of ice time in. I wouldn't want a Joe Thornton type of situation where he plays limited minutes. Keep in mind Drouin, Dadonov and Byron are likely gone after this season, so we can't just let everyone else go either.

I expect Ylonen to make the team in a middle six role eventually. Also I know a lot of people think Wright should go back but that hasn't happened with a CHL forward I think in 40 years. I'm not aging it won't happen but seems unlikely. Especially since we have MSL coaching with the purpose of helping young guys develop + Kingston coach isn't great.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I expect Ylonen to make the team in a middle six role eventually. Also I know a lot of people think Wright should go back but that hasn't happened with a CHL forward I think in 40 years. I'm not aging it won't happen but seems unlikely. Especially since we have MSL coaching with the purpose of helping young guys develop + Kingston coach isn't great.
Fair enough. In 40 years, we haven't had a guy go 1st who'd missed essentially a full season of Junior though, either.

Ylonen might well make it, you're right.

The fact Pitlick doesn't have a clear spot without injuries helps explain why the Habs are willing to let him go if he isn't signed to a contract they like.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough. In 40 years, we haven't had a guy go 1st who'd missed essentially a full season of Junior though, either.

Ylonen might well make it, you're right.

The fact Pitlick doesn't have a clear spot without injuries helps explain why the Habs are willing to let him go if he isn't signed to a contract they like.

Exactly, one thing I'll say about Wright is while he may have missed 1 OHL season he still has as many seasons as most picks since he played the exceptional status year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That would be disappointing given he did a darn good job for the Habs after coming over from the Wild. 9 goals and 26 points in 46 games is nothing to sneeze at, especially with how the Habs offence was misfiring most of the season.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad