Rumor: Habs won’t qualify Rem Pitlick if he doesn’t sign before the deadline

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He actually had a decent year. At 25yo, I don't blame him for trying to get paid a bit more than the minimum.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Today I learned there were two Pitlicks in the NHL. And they both play for the Canadiens. Their Pitlick/60 stats are off the charts.

There are 3 Pitlicks in total, all 3 with the habs.

tmp_rGd94A_25c0a88a960bd84c_MCDAVIN_EC009.jpg

...2 more to go

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think the problem is the arbitration rights, not the QO itself.

15 goals 37 points in 66 games could get a lot of money from an arbitrator.
There's also that arbitration takes time - you don't know what the situation is until arbitration is done, so that cap can't be allocated anywhere else for a few weeks, just when assets are available for cheap.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think the problem is the arbitration rights, not the QO itself.

15 goals 37 points in 66 games could get a lot of money from an arbitrator.

It is true that Rem's point totals could lead to him getting $2M+, and that would not be ideal for our team makeup. But more than just a financial issue, I believe that not qualifying Rem Pitlick is also a way by management to show him respect by allowing him to choose which team he wants to sign with as a UFA.

With the season he's just had many teams will be knocking on his door and offering Pitlick a contract, and though those contracts won't be too rich by NHL standards he'll be able to pick and choose where he goes and should still make more than league minimum.

Rem Pitlick could very well be this year's Michael Bunting.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It is true that Rem's point totals could lead to him getting $2M+, and that would not be ideal for our team makeup. But more than just a financial issue, I believe that not qualifying Rem Pitlick is also a way by management to show him respect by allowing him to choose which team he wants to sign with as a UFA.

With the season he's just had many teams will be knocking on his door and offering Pitlick a contract, and though those contracts won't be too rich by NHL standards he'll be able to pick and choose where he goes and should still make more than league minimum.

I would be flabbergasted if he signed for less or similar to what Bunting did. Pitlick has a bigger track record.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I really don't see how that is an issue. We will need warm bodies this year if we trade off all the players we are rumoured to be moving, and Rem has shown he can play well on a bad team. He most likely isn't in the long term plans so if he gets a 1 year deal at 2-3M then we would probably just flip him at the deadline with retention for a pick. He would be a nice depth option for a contender and we can bring up a guy from Laval for the last few weeks of the season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I believe this has to do with the Habs being afraid of what the arbitrator might award Pitlick? He played really well for us.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Rem gets more then $2m in arbitration.

This season was great, but only 11 NHL games played prior to this season, and age 25. Those details weigh heavily into salary arbitration when arguing which players Pitlick is comparable to.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You'd think 2m in arbitration wouldn't be a sticking point for a rebuilding team. Rem was putting up points with the Wild as well last season.

Worse case scenario he gets awarded 1.75M IMO. Realistically 1.5M x 2.

Stuff like this makes me think Vegas isn't going to qualify Howden.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad