Post-Game Talk: Habs win two of their last three! (2-1 @ NYR)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
2 wins in last 3 games? That's insane. Who are these guys? Who put them together?! Marc Bergevin, that's who! He, oh the best evaluator of talent, who works harder than any other GM in the league. He, oh the purple pants one that wins all his trades. Sigh... A sucky win in the last minute against equally sucky team sure must be a cause for celebration.

Haven't watched the game, just the highlights. Looks like it was a total snoozefest. Hue-don even hit a post, I think. That probably guarantees him at least 10 next games.

Clod's genius knows no boundaries.

Man... do I even feel depressed when I read the names that comprised the Habs lines tonight.
What’s even sadder is that the NYR couldn’t even beat us at home while we were down quite a few players.

So sad

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's cute how you use on pace like it's a valid argument. A couple of games ago he was on pace to be an AHL player. Where was your on pace nonsense then?

He had a career year and so did a whole bunch of guys on this team, now everyone's falling back to earth and you want to pretend he's Bergeron.

Another bad stretch and you'll all disappear again.

The entire league had career years, have you not noticed??

Reactions: 26Mats

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
There's not a chance Hall ends up in Montreal. There are other teams who are legitimate contenders that will easily outbid Bergevin. Even in the highly unlikely scenario he does land in Montreal, he'll be gone in the off-season to UFA.

Hall will not push this team very far, even assuming a playoff spot may be in the cards, and we'll lose valuable assets in the process.
Well we do have the cap space and it seems they need a goalie (primeau) would work and any other prospects not named caulfield or romanov.. its doable. Price is signed long term, Montreal is jonesing for a cup.
Hall is young and very good, if Romanov is a beast then we're golden. Also one thing I think that'll be difficult in getting Hall is it's pretty much a guarantee they'll want a 1st round pick and if Bergy bites on that he'll be fired

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I thought Kulak played well. If he can up his game to the level he displayed in the final quarter of last season that would be a big help. He has the potential to be a good 4/5, which is why he got a 3 year contract. First time in his career he came to a camp and didn't have to play his heart out just to get a chance at the 7th spot. Maybe he relaxed too much, played bad, and lost confidence.

Price played well, and Danault and Gallagher played great. Winning goal was a nice play.

It was definitely a "grinding" game by Montreal, probably for the best, but not exciting.

Good win on the road.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well we do have the cap space and it seems they need a goalie (primeau) would work and any other prospects not named caulfield or romanov.. its doable. Price is signed long term, Montreal is jonesing for a cup.
Hall is young and very good, if Romanov is a beast then we're golden. Also one thing I think that'll be difficult in getting Hall is it's pretty much a guarantee they'll want a 1st round pick and if Bergy bites on that he'll be fired

There will be a lot of interest from teams that project to be in the playoffs. The cost for an unsigned Hall will be too high.

Now that we've finally got a stable of valuable prospects, it would be irresponsible and foolish to spend that capital for a player who'd likely be a Hab for a very short time.

Under different circumstances, I'd be much more in favour of that gamble.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There will be a lot of interest from teams that project to be in the playoffs. The cost for an unsigned Hall will be too high.

Now that we've finally got a stable of valuable prospects, it would be irresponsible and foolish to spend that capital for a player who'd likely be a Hab for a very short time.

Under different circumstances, I'd be much more in favour of that gamble.

If Hall was deemed to be the missing piece toward a long playoff run, then that would be the different circumstances that would have prompted an aggressive pursuit.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Hall was deemed to be the missing piece toward a long playoff run, then that would be the different circumstances that would have prompted an aggressive pursuit.

Currently that thinking is delusional, in my opinion. If the team even makes the playoffs, which is debatable, it'll be as longshots.

At some point management absolutely must do a proper rebuild. It's too late for a team with all of Weber, Price, Gallagher and Petry. Last season told us where we were. Let's not delude ourselves into wishing we're something that we're clearly not.

Reactions: CHwest and Ozmodiar

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I thought Kulak played well. If he can up his game to the level he displayed in the final quarter of last season that would be a big help. He has the potential to be a good 4/5, which is why he got a 3 year contract. First time in his career he came to a camp and didn't have to play his heart out just to get a chance at the 7th spot. Maybe he relaxed too much, played bad, and lost confidence.

Price played well, and Danault and Gallagher played great. Winning goal was a nice play.

It was definitely a "grinding" game by Montreal, probably for the best, but not exciting.

Good win on the road.
I thought Kulak looked better when he wasn't on the third pair.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
To think had we not let that one breakaway, would have been a shutty for Price.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Benoit Brunet has been relentless about how Domi is not defensively responsible and how he's playing out of position when he's defending inside the Habs's zone. Did it on AC and during this game, in the 2nd intermission when he picked one play where Domi was just chasing the puck carrier in the Habs zone, leaving center ice open for a pass.

I suspect it won't be the last.

He is right thought. I like Domi but he's not having a good season. And a case can be made that he'd be helping the team more on the wings.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I’m expecting crickets and tumbleweed tonight.

Good game btw.......undermanned and on the road, chalk it up as a nice win........next
I guess we need to sticky that we arent allowed to mention how busy or not the pgt is. Or is that only allowed when we lose by the burningbin defenders?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
we're really depleted but that was all guts. Loved the bench reaction when Thompson scored. That's a group that cares. Very genuine.

I thought Hudon played his best game, he was more engaged instead of floating around hoping for the puck.

Fluery is really starting to play well and be very solid down there.

Chiarot needs a rest. Too much ice time=bad penalties.

Kakko is the real deal . The kid has mad skills. And Panarin probably was the best forward I've seen this year against us.

Say what you might against Lehkonen but he's 100 % effort every night.

The move Armia makes out of the corner , brush off the D, and take it to the net is very impressive. He's doing it more now.

Max Domi was all over the place , but when he gets around the net he's a bit clueless.

Price was solid. Nice to see that. We got zero percent chance of winning if he's the sieve he's been in November.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There's not a chance Hall ends up in Montreal. There are other teams who are legitimate contenders that will easily outbid Bergevin. Even in the highly unlikely scenario he does land in Montreal, he'll be gone in the off-season to UFA.

Hall will not push this team very far, even assuming a playoff spot may be in the cards, and we'll lose valuable assets in the process.
And there's the added element that this team's top priority is not offense but defense.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Looks like we're going to win our division this year. Or at least 50/50 chance. It's either us or Boston - top 2 in division, ie the 2 most likely to win.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, I get we struggle at times scoring and one of our best offensive weapons is hurt, but shoring up our top-4 is a greater need.
I didn't look at the stats when I made my post. Out of curiosity I went to look. The Habs are 5th in the league when it comes to goals for and 2nd for goals against. A Julien team has the 2nd worst goal against stat. That's mind-boggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad