Post-Game Talk: Habs WIN in OT CAUFIELDDD

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Yeah, but his agent is pretty quiet about the team's stats since his OTHER client has left. Alan is slimy. He played the same game with Halak way back when. He's just slimy.

It's his job to advance the interests of his client. Don't see how that is slimy. If Alan Walsh could get you a sweet contract by pressuring teams and bringing up your job performance, you would say "no, Mr. Walsh, those tactics are very underhanded and slimy, and besides I am already set for life my man."

That is literally the job of an agent. To fight for your clients and get them contracts (from which he gets a commission).

Reactions: ReginaHabs

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It's his job to advance the interests of his client. Don't see how that is slimy. If Alan Walsh could get you a sweet contract by pressuring teams and bringing up your job performance, you would say "no, Mr. Walsh, those tactics are very underhanded and slimy, and besides I am already set for life my man."

That is literally the job of an agent. To fight for your clients and get them contracts (from which he gets a commission).
I guess you forgot how he played on the Halak-Price controversy on Twitter. Very cheap.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
Yeah, but his agent is pretty quiet about the team's stats since his OTHER client has left. Alan is slimy. He played the same game with Halak way back when. He's just slimy.
I agree. I still can't figure out why Melnick has him on his show.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I guess you forgot how he played on the Halak-Price controversy on Twitter. Very cheap.

Nope, I followed it. Again, his job is to increase the value of his clients, not to be a passive, objective observer. Halak ended up getting a great contract, not entirely deserved, the sign of an agent doing his job. I think you misunderstand his role/function.

Besides that Halak actually had a decent case that he deserved to be ahead of Price on the depth chart. Walsh did a great job for Halak. Not easy to break from the shadow of a franchise goalie.

Don't understand what is slimy about this... other than Walsh breaking the fourth wall and disrupting the fantasy that professional sports is anything other than a business. I can understand how that makes fans (invested in the fantasy) uneasy, though.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Nope, I followed it. Again, his job is to increase the value of his clients, not to be a passive, objective observer. Halak ended up getting a great contract, not entirely deserved, the sign of an agent doing his job. I think you misunderstand his role/function.

Besides that Halak actually had a decent case that he deserved to be ahead of Price on the depth chart. Walsh did a great job for Halak. Not easy to break from the shadow of a franchise goalie.

Don't understand what is slimy about this... other than Walsh breaking the fourth wall and disrupting the fantasy that professional sports is anything other than a business. I can understand how that makes fans (invested in the fantasy) uneasy, though.
Hitting on another athlete in order to cash in on his athlete is unethical. I'll stop here. Most good agents don't need to do that.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why do you go on their message boards? Normally I'm in favour of open discussion, different perspectives, but there is the main board for that. I really dislike when other teams fans roam around here concern trolling and the like trying to be "accepted" as "reasonable fans." There is nothing reason or idea based in our affiliation to our teams, it is purely tribal. There's really nothing to discuss.
They were criticizing our OT strategy, the puck possession part, so I chimed in with the fact that we were 0-9 in OT before switching to that style. They then reasonably conceded that you play the game to win. I don’t often go to other teams boards, but they were in full meltdown mode and it was overall a fun read.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Hitting on another athlete in order to cash in on his athlete is unethical. I'll stop here. Most good agents don't need to do that.

That was bad form, I agree. But in other threads people are preaching the notion of "merit" as being the prime reason for selecting players.... the discrepancy was huge at that point. Halak's numbers were at the top of the league but he was riding the pine to a goalie still struggling to find his game. It was not the best of times on this board...

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
They were criticizing our OT strategy, the puck possession part, so I chimed in with the fact that we were 0-9 in OT before switching to that style. They then reasonably conceded that you play the game to win. I don’t often go to other teams boards, but they were in full meltdown mode and it was overall a fun read.

Schadenfreude is no doubt fun, just don't understand the pretense of having an objective discussion with another fanbase on their message board.

Reactions: Canadienna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Schadenfreude is no doubt fun, just don't understand the pretense of having an objective discussion with another fanbase on their message board.
I was hate reading their meltdown and just wanted to clarify something. They were reasonable in response. Just my 0.02

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That's all fine, but do you think his tweet does anything to change whatever plans MB may have for him, or any other GM?

As fans, it's not like this tweet is going to make us drive up his demand either.

It's a laughable stretch by Walsh.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
That's all fine, but do you think his tweet does anything to change whatever plans MB may have for him, or any other GM?

As fans, it's not like this tweet is going to make us drive up his demand either.

It's a laughable stretch by Walsh.

No, but it tells Frolic that he has his back. And maybe it stirs the pot a little, gets the media to discuss it, etc, then maybe someone asks about it at a press conference and so forth. I’m sure the toughest part of Walsh’s job is to keep a buzz going around lower tier players. Maybe attract the attention of other clubs like the Kraken. Savvy agents build narratives around their players. A single tweet is not the difference, just part of a complex game to keep his clients relevant and under contract.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Quick props to Ducharme and his OT strategy; guy thinks outside the box and it's paying off. I mean, I laughed hard when they started doing that but it's paying off.
This is how the Russians would play, 5 on 5, in the 70s. They kept possession no matter what. That famous game in 1975 between the Habs and Red Army... 13-shot total. Although that was a juggernaut Habs team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Please someone make a gif on Marner and Matthews failing to convert a 2 on 0. I want to immortalize this moment.

S7yptHY.gif

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Oh Wow, I didnt even realize there was 16 seconds left in Overtime lmao

I thought the goal was dramatic enough lol

I dont see how CC isnt good for a goal almost every single OT at this point..or at least 2-3 scoring chances.. born for 3 on 3

Like i said, im REALLy not crazy about 3 on 3, but if its gonna BE there, at least its nice to have a weapon like this for once
Curious about his first shootout attempt tho too lol
His shootout move will be a slapper, post and in.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Why do you go on their message boards? Normally I'm in favour of open discussion, different perspectives, but there is the main board for that. I really dislike when other teams fans roam around here concern trolling and the like trying to be "accepted" as "reasonable fans." There is nothing reason or idea based in our affiliation to our teams, it is purely tribal. There's really nothing to discuss.
The 4 most dreaded words on HF Boards.: I come in peace.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad