Post-Game Talk: Habs WIN in OT CAUFIELDDD

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That replay of the Evans and Lehkonen 2 on 1 is painful. Lehk had the entire net to shoot at and he shot it right at Campbell. Such a frustrating player. We thought we had a 2nd liner in his rookie year but he’s a borderline 3rd liner.

Definitely thought he would be a better finisher. He has such a great release too. :(

Reactions: Gravity

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. It should be seen as being smart tactics and using it to our advantage, instead of running around blindly and taking low percentage shots that lead to dangerous counter attacks. This is a very smart strategy. Circle back and keep waiting for an opportunity to strike with our lethal sniper. Nothing wrong with that
It's soccer strategy. Or the old Soviet way of playing hockey.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
You would think all those years being bottom feeders would have humbled them but it made it worse somehow

That's the part I don't get. I used to visit the Boston board pre-covid, fun rivalry, but I stay away from Toronto's. They make everything about the Leafs. It's like the Kardashians... everything I know about them I learned against my will.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Just before they went on this mini winning streak I was about to throw in the towel on Ducharme. I just didn't like the system the team was playing. I was one of the posters that wanted MB to hire Ducharme and Bouchard. With the meh results under DD I figured okay I was batting 500. Ducharme sucks, Bouchard is the real thing. And then they put it together for three games.

I hope I was wrong about giving up on Ducharme and this winning streak is the start of something beautiful but I hate how in the defensive zone he has the team clog up the middle and collapse to the net. Leafs' first goal was a result of that system. It goes against all my instincts. I want them to attack the puck not play this passive hockey. Then I saw the Canadian u18s and they employ the same system. Clog up the middle and collapse to the net. Maybe I'm an old fogie and can't keep up with the times but if they win using that defensive system I can live with it.
The collapse has been around for a long time. I think Martin used it. Julien's teams didn't seem to pressure the points too much either.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Don't agree with Armia with Suzuki , yes it ''kinda works'' right now but Armia is not the reason of the success of that line.

Suzuki and Toffoli are carrying him. Gallagher should be the third player with them. Suzuki pass the puck , Gallagher plays close to the net Toffoli is the shooter. Perfect combo.

Except the line is arguably our most effective right now, Tatar- Danault - Gallagher we know is effective and Anderson and KK seem like a good fit with Caufield to me cause the size factor. Also Armia looked good with Suzuki in the bubble.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I went to bed at the end of the second period, early rise for me. I smiled when I saw the highlights of Caufield, his shot is elite, good to see him doing well. This team seems to be doing better without many of the vets in the lineup, they are making mistakes here and there but there seems to be more desire to win. Is this a fluke or are some of our vets just not that good anymore?

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So, I have no really paid any attention to Leafs fans because I think they are mostly in their early 20s, so I really don't care what they have to say.

I went to check their PGT after all the talk in here. I haven't been to their board at all this entire season. All I can say is, what the holy f***? These guys are setting themselves up for so much disappointment this year that I am actually a little concerned as to what will happen if they don't at least make the finals. These fans legitimately think their team is unbeatable and that any losses are because of bad luck or cheating. It's f***ing wild.

Seriously, what happens if they don't make an actual, deep run? At this point anything less than a finals appearance has to be considered a massive failure by that fanbase. I know COVID has made us all crazy but they have lost their damn minds. The Leafs are extremely beatable and there are plenty of other teams in other divisions that will spank them silly.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So, I have no really paid any attention to Leafs fans because I think they are mostly in their early 20s, so I really don't care what they have to say.

I went to check their PGT after all the talk in here. I haven't been to their board at all this entire season. All I can say is, what the holy f***? These guys are setting themselves up for so much disappointment this year that I am actually a little concerned as to what will happen if they don't at least make the finals. These fans legitimately think their team is unbeatable and that any losses are because of bad luck or cheating. It's f***ing wild.

Seriously, what happens if they don't make an actual, deep run? At this point anything less than a finals appearance has to be considered a massive failure by that fanbase. I know COVID has made us all crazy but they have lost their damn minds. The Leafs are extremely beatable and there are plenty of other teams in other divisions that will spank them silly.
That my friend is what we hope to witness first hand..

Reactions: Habano

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's hard to blame Leaf fans for the way they feel about their team. The Toronto/National sports stations are all Leafs all of the time, they never let off the gas and this is a big reason why the fanbase is acting this way, they actually believe it.

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Don't agree with Armia with Suzuki , yes it ''kinda works'' right now but Armia is not the reason of the success of that line.

Suzuki and Toffoli are carrying him. Gallagher should be the third player with them. Suzuki pass the puck , Gallagher plays close to the net Toffoli is the shooter. Perfect combo.
Bs, try harder

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012

I wouldn't be too concerned, they're used to it :laugh:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's hard to blame Leaf fans for the way they feel about their team. The Toronto/National sports stations are all Leafs all of the time, they never let off the gas and this is a big reason why the fanbase is acting this way, they actually believe it.

I actually threw the question out to Leafs fans on the main board and predictably they are trying to walk back expectations. As if any of them expect the team not to come out the division easily. As it stands if the Leafs aren't North division champs in the playoffs that's a huge choke. They've dominated the division all year, to lose in the 1st or 2nd round should be seen as a major failure given where they're at today.

Reactions: OldCraig71

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Bruins fans. It's a different kind of rivalry, TO fans are like self centered children.
In my experience, Bruins fans are mostly bullies while Leaf fans are mostly full of undeserved arrogance. Bruins fans can kick my ass but Leaf fans can't explain why they are better than me. They just are.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Except the line is arguably our most effective right now, Tatar- Danault - Gallagher we know is effective and Anderson and KK seem like a good fit with Caufield to me cause the size factor. Also Armia looked good with Suzuki in the bubble.
Like I said the line is effective but Armia is just a passenger on that line. We all know what happen with Armia plays 2-3 good games then vanish for 10. It's been that since his arrival.

Also that Danault line is putrid since Danault can't find feed anybody. Not by scoring a goal at 1 feet from the net last night that will change my opinion on that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Don't know which is more dramatic, Poehling coming in and scoring 3 + winner in extra time or Caufield with his 2 first NHL goals in 5 games being OT winners back to back

One was a quasi exhibition game. I know which is more dramatic for me.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's soccer strategy. Or the old Soviet way of playing hockey.

The Soviets did it 5 on 5, and it was artistry. Its much harder to pull off with 4 additional players on the ice, and the skill required to do what they did was apparent. You see Barcelona do it I football much the same way the Soviets did it on the ice. I love their brand but there are people out thee who can't stand barcelona's style as well.

For 3 on 3, it's a clown show, and exposes the three on three session for what its always been..... A sideshow.

It's too far removed from actual hockey to be taken seriously, except for the fact that they count in the standings so heavily.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
To see Petry come in the zone and then dish to the trailer and youre not quite sure WHO it was going to be, and you just see this little #22 in red JUMP on the puck and it was like, oh my god could this be happening and he goes and SCORES in OT again, even my ol man father texting me "is this real life?" lmao

The best part about that goal? the classic off the post PING that comes with most of his goals if youve watched him, the cole caufield special, what an actual SNIPER its crazy

Reactions: Habano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->