Habs win! Budaj gets the shutout!

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Biggest surprise for me this year has to be Diaz, he's starting to become my favorite defenceman on this team, it says alot.....

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Saw the Pacioretty goal. Thing was a beauty BGally needs to watch the video on how to snipe such a wicked wrist shot.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
The same stories repeat ...

+ Eller was pretty good. I could say that he's the best player
+ Galchenyuk was great too. He looked more and more comfortable.
+ Subban
+ Bourque continues to work hard

- Armstrong was clearly the worst player. Yes, worse than White and Moen.
- Gionta and Cole had a slightly below-average night
- While Markov played very smart and excelled in PP, he seemed skating slow. He lost most of the races.

Btw, I was at Centre Bell for the game.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Markov has clearly lost a step it's been pretty noticable all season, maybe his speed will recover more with training and further leg healing, maybe not. Him and his partner just need to adjust (Emelin is not exactly a speed demon either) be a bit more careful about pinching, and when you do the other guy needs to be make sure he's in a position to be ahead of the forwards and win a footrace even with a speed disadvantage if things go wrong.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Markov has clearly lost a step it's been pretty noticable all season, maybe his speed will recover more with training and further leg healing, maybe not. Him and his partner just need to adjust (Emelin is not exactly a speed demon either) be a bit more careful about pinching, and when you do the other guy needs to be make sure he's in a position to be ahead of the forwards and win a footrace even with a speed disadvantage if things go wrong.

Markov never was a speedster and last night he shouldered, in a game that stayed at 0-0 until the 3rd, 24 minutes of ice-time... mostly against Staal and Semin btw.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Markov never was a speedster and last night he shouldered, in a game that stayed at 0-0 until the 3rd, 24 minutes of ice-time... mostly against Staal and Semin btw.

Like I said it's not a big deal he just has to make the adjustment and adapt his positioning to be a bit more conservative so there's no times the other dman + covering forward can't be back in time, something he is smart enough to do. It might mean passing up a few pinch attempts that a speedier dman could get away with by Markov is still obviously a hugely positive asset on balance.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Emelin had some tough games but in the last 3 he played really good.

The habs play a smart and responsible defensive game, it's really another world than last year.

The first year of Martin we had a decent system but gave up too much shots.

Last night i wasn't even scared with Budaj in the net and that's saying that you trust the dman.

Price has been stellar in only one game this year where he stoled it from us in the last years Price had to be incredible for us to win a game. This year Price only has to do the job and make the right saves.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Of course we should congradulate Budaj on his shotout but to me it could have been any goalies in the net and it would have been the same result. That's how well the Habs played to me. The way the defensemen are in the play, supporting the offense and so forth has been amazing and it's a really welcome change to how the Habs approach to the game compared to what they were doing under Martin. I look at guys like Francis Bouillon, i've never seen him fly on the ice like he's been doing lately, he's allowed to support the offense and just take off. And the last time i've seen him do that was in the American Hockey League with the Quebec Rafales. It's like he has the freedom to express his talent for the first time in the NHL. It's neat how not only it helps the offense but it also add a fourth man sometime to pressure the forwards from the other teams. I've seen more than a few times against Carolina, Andrei Markov esp. and others stopping the Canes' play with that pressure. Pretty impressed overall.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Martin's "system" compared to Therrien's current approach makes one of them look like an antiquated dinosaur. Wonder which?

I'm still not sold that we'll win against the Rags but honestly, for a team lacking in high-end talent and three top6 fwds are AWOL, we've been doing very well.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Martin's "system" compared to Therrien's current approach makes one of them look like an antiquated dinosaur. Wonder which?

I'm still not sold that we'll win against the Rags but honestly, for a team lacking in high-end talent and three top6 fwds are AWOL, we've been doing very well.
We don't have high end talent but we do have depth

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Of course we should congradulate Budaj on his shotout but to me it could have been any goalies in the net and it would have been the same result. That's how well the Habs played to me. The way the defensemen are in the play, supporting the offense and so forth has been amazing and it's a really welcome change to how the Habs approach to the game compared to what they were doing under Martin. I look at guys like Francis Bouillon, i've never seen him fly on the ice like he's been doing lately, he's allowed to support the offense and just take off. And the last time i've seen him do that was in the American Hockey League with the Quebec Rafales. It's like he has the freedom to express his talent for the first time in the NHL. It's neat how not only it helps the offense but it also add a fourth man sometime to pressure the forwards from the other teams. I've seen more than a few times against Carolina, Andrei Markov esp. and others stopping the Canes' play with that pressure. Pretty impressed overall.

I've been impressed with bouillon's habit of rushing up and breaking free, but once he does that the play usually dies on his stick. Dude just does not have the puck skills to be relied upon offensively. I hope to never see him or Gorges on the PP again.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I've been impressed with bouillon's habit of rushing up and breaking free, but once he does that the play usually dies on his stick. Dude just does not have the puck skills to be relied upon offensively. I hope to never see him or Gorges on the PP again.

The problem has been on the PP, mainly, I think. But everyone has seems lost on PP lately. At equal force, he's added a lot to the play. Especially last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad