Habs win! Budaj gets the shutout!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
ROR is still young (I think 23) Is a big skilled C who can put up 65 -70 points.
He instantly makes Montreal tougher to play against...and can play wing as well.
He brings a physical dimension to the Habs that Desharnais can't.....

Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Pacioretty ROR Cole
Prust Galchenyuk Gallagher
Moen Eller White
Armstrong
I'm okay with us going after ROR, but not Tinordi or Beaulieu or other prospects. We should deal vets instead. And if they dont want vets, then forget about it.

Habtchum*

Why talk a hypothetical trade that will never happen?

There is other threads to talk about trades and trade rumours or dream.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
ROR is still young (I think 23) Is a big skilled C who can put up 65 -70 points.
He instantly makes Montreal tougher to play against...and can play wing as well.

Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Pacioretty ROR Cole
Moen Eller White
Armstrong
I'm sure you wanted Lecavalier and Gomez too. Trading top defensive prospects, especially a puck mover like Beaulieu, is very foolish.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Pacioretty ROR Cole
Moen Eller White
Armstrong

not aimed at you personally

goddammit, can we stop this ROR is big ********. he's 6'0. you have one poster calling gorges small (at 6'1), then the next guy calls o'reilly big, yet, he's smaller. :dunno:

the minute the habs would trade for him, half the board would instantly combust in a circle jerk of bigness and toughness. yet i'd wager within the same week, we'd hear cries of "wtf! trade him, have to get bigger!!!!11! lucic rawr!!!"

a5f1gz.jpg

not sure how he's gonna put up 65-70 points considering last year he scored 55 points, a career high. not saying it's gonna be impossible, but it's gonna be hard especially since, you know, he's would be our third line c in the near future. could eventually become our second line center behind gally. but 4-5 mil long term, because that's what he's gonna want, for a second line center?

we have to get bigger, but the koolaid drinking's gotta stop but the irrationality has to stop. you guys are killing me. on the inside.

Last edited:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
To me this was one of the sweetest wins yet. I have to say I didn't expect them to pull it off tonight. They looked methodical. They played a stingy defensive type game and waited for chances. They didn't press and try to make things happen that weren't there, just stoic, smart, some would say boring hockey. Just like that 5th now in goals against in the entire league.

It's getting hard to pick the 3 starts in games lately and personally I think that's a really good sign. I thought Galchenyuk had one of his best games yet imo.

Solid overall team defensive effort tonight and got the bounces offensively. Didn't give them an inch. And they were physical, (Subban with the message early on but also Emelin, Bouillon) but not chasing the big hit for nothing.

Budaj played well, but he definitely didn't steal the show. That shutout belongs to his D and the whole team too.The fact that you can shelter key injuries within a system like that and look like nobody was missing is pretty nice. I thought they played the perfect game you have to play in front of a backup goalie. You don't have that 3rd D back there helping with the transition game so you basically just tighten everything up defensively and play a road-style wait for your chances game. Smart hockey from the Habs tonight.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
When I reviewed our 2nd goal, I noticed that that laser beam caught Ward straight in the head so he must have been pretty shaken in the head when MaxPac scored from the centre ice LMAO. :lol:

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
To me this was one of the sweetest wins yet. I have to say I didn't expect them to pull it off tonight. They looked methodical. They played a stingy defensive type game and waited for chances. They didn't press and try to make things happen that weren't there, just stoic, smart, some would say boring hockey. Just like that 5th now in goals against in the entire league.

It's getting hard to pick the 3 starts in games lately and personally I think that's a really good sign. I thought Galchenyuk had one of his best games yet imo.

Solid overall team defensive effort tonight and got the bounces offensively. Didn't give them an inch. And they were physical, (Subban with the message early on but also Emelin, Bouillon) but not chasing the big hit for nothing.

Budaj played well, but he definitely didn't steal the show. That shutout belongs to his D and the whole team too.The fact that you can shelter key injuries within a system like that and look like nobody was missing is pretty nice. I thought they played the perfect game you have to play in front of a backup goalie. You don't have that 3rd D back there helping with the transition game so you basically just tighten everything up defensively and play a road-style wait for your chances game. Smart hockey from the Habs tonight.

I felt there was trap all over the neutral zone so both team kept gaining and losing the puck before entering the offensive zone.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
When I reviewed our 2nd goal, I noticed that that laser beam caught Ward straight in the head so he must have been pretty shaken in the head when MaxPac scored from the centre ice LMAO. :lol:

That HAD to ring his marbles a bit.

I felt there was trap all over the neutral zone so both team kept gaining and losing the puck before entering the offensive zone.

I saw the same thing. Definitely tentative hockey from both teams tonight, low shots. And personally if I'm playing against the Habs that's the last thing I would do. I'd make sure there is constant pressure on the puck carrier and that every hit is finished. Go at them instead of playing reactionary hockey. I thought the Canes would have been more aggressive. How much of that is Habs stifling them and how much of that is Canes just not showing up is hard to say.

Important thing is the Habs are showing they can win the sleeper games too. That's the sign of a good team imo.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
We don't need ROR

Anybody else notice what a boss Eller was tonight? GIVE THAT GUY MORE MINUTES! Hasn't been set up for a decent chance all season except for his breakaway. I actually wouldn't be upset if Gio and him were subbed (even though I love Gio and am not sure if Eller plays well on that wing).

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Seriously... Wasn't a Eller believer at first, but this guy deserves to play more. He gets better every game. He just needs to work on his faceoff techniques (and yes, before you say anything, I know he was excellent tonight in that aspect, I mean generally).

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Great game tonight...tomorrow would be a great win but it's one we can afford to lose. Pleks, Budaj, Bourque, Eller, Subban, Patches all had great games. Only one who stood out as weak tonight was Gionta tbh.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Of course Im excited with the wins and of course you have to give credit to MT, but, but, Eller. Commentators were talking about how well and Hard Eller has been playing and that he has earned more ice this game and thats why he was promoted to a scoring line this game. They showed MT saying Eller had earned it. It was also noted that Eller said it was hard to remain patient. Okay, so Eller ends up playing 12 minutes and as I watched the game he seemed to get demoted to other linemates, then I fell asleep, so please confirm.

I chaffed a bit with the Eller earning better linemates and ice time stuff, this kid has been busting his tail pretty much all year and he has kept his mouth shut.He earned his shot weeks ago for better line mates and time. B. Gally is out, no excuses now, Eller should be getting the linemates and the time, hes more than earned it and its our chance to see what we have in this kid, no more dumping of young talent at 50 cents on the dollar like Houle and Gainey. I also think Eller is getting a bit disappointed given his comment and its no surprise hes finding it hard to stay patient. You know, you can reach a point where a young guy just throws in the towel , we have seen it a number of times in Montreal.

This seems like a really good kid with some level of untapped talent, just want him to have an opportunity here to show what he can do, play him already.

PricePkPatch*

Of course Im excited with the wins and of course you have to give credit to MT, but, but, Eller. Commentators were talking about how well and Hard Eller has been playing and that he has earned more ice this game and thats why he was promoted to a scoring line this game. They showed MT saying Eller had earned it. It was also noted that Eller said it was hard to remain patient. Okay, so Eller ends up playing 12 minutes and as I watched the game he seemed to get demoted to other linemates, then I fell asleep, so please confirm.

I chaffed a bit with the Eller earning better linemates and ice time stuff, this kid has been busting his tail pretty much all year and he has kept his mouth shut.He earned his shot weeks ago for better line mates and time. B. Gally is out, no excuses now, Eller should be getting the linemates and the time, hes more than earned it and its our chance to see what we have in this kid, no more dumping of young talent at 50 cents on the dollar like Houle and Gainey. I also think Eller is getting a bit disappointed given his comment and its no surprise hes finding it hard to stay patient. You know, you can reach a point where a young guy just throws in the towel , we have seen it a number of times in Montreal.

This seems like a really good kid with some level of untapped talent, just want him to have an opportunity here to show what he can do, play him already.

Eller is useful in many position; I am happy to see how he's playing now.

But we have to be realist: the reason our 4th line is so effective in the past match is because we have Eller there. He carries the skill aspect of that line, his linemates carry the physical aspect. It doesn't necessary convert into goals, but it sure convert in heavy pressure on the opposition's ass.

This pressure allows our other 3 lines to remain rested and effective.

Eller is given some PP time, so I am sure he understand he isn't in the doghouse. It's just that his best place for the team, at the moment, happens to be the 4th line. He'll be ready to step up in case someone gets injured or has a very bad game.

PricePkPatch*

Prust (about Galchenyuk's play that led to his goal): "When he dangles like that, it's important to remember not to just stop and watch"

:laugh:

Dec 2, 2010
Eller is useful in many position; I am happy to see how he's playing now.

But we have to be realist: the reason our 4th line is so effective in the past match is because we have Eller there. He carries the skill aspect of that line, his linemates carry the physical aspect. It doesn't necessary convert into goals, but it sure convert in heavy pressure on the opposition's ass.

This pressure allows our other 3 lines to remain rested and effective.

Eller is given some PP time, so I am sure he understand he isn't in the doghouse. It's just that his best place for the team, at the moment, happens to be the 4th line. He'll be ready to step up in case someone gets injured or has a very bad game.
That's the key. Eller on the 4th line really sparks it and turns it into a threat against other teams' lines. I think if he can come to terms that he's better served as a utility player (4th line + 1st PK + 2nd PP) with the occasional top 9 appearance when injury or slumps strike, the team can continue to strive.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Isn't there a thread about David Desharnais and a thread with trade proposals? Pretty annoying when over half the posts are about both in the PGT even after we won our fourth straight game...

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Whoever's getting RoR is overpaying for him. Twice.

You gotta trade for him, then you gotta sign him. And considering the Subban negociation, Bergevin's kind of a hardass, and wouldn't give Mr. O'Reilly all he wants. Could turn pretty bad.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Probably the easiest shutout Budaj will ever get. Hard to really pinpoint more than a couple of quality scoring chances for the Canes. Great defensive effort by everyone.

Hopefully that monkey really is off Max's back because this team could be quite deadly with 3 scoring lines.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Didn't get to see the game, but when watching the highlights, who was the guy doing the colour on TSN? Usually is Mike Johnson isn't it? Not sure I've ever heard the guy from last night before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad