Habs win 4-1, Diaz + Markov = awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I think he was a bit too "enthusiastic". I think Therrien was happy about it in a way but unhappy about the 2 and 5. They are trying to change the culture from the JM "turn the other cheek" to standing up for teammates, that was sort of a side effect.

White has done that before. It's the way he plays even under JM. He did the same thing after Boychuk missed a dangerous open ice hit against Subban. Difference is, Boychuk dropped too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TxRLQd6HG-A

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Is it me or the call on Gorges was awful? On the replay there's to knee at all?

I was puzzled too, but then I figured it out and I can't blame the ref who called it.

It had nothing to do with a late hit and them inventing a call like they said on RDS.

If you watch the replay (which shows it from the referee's angle) you can see Gorges throwing his hip at the last second and as he catches his balance lands with his skates in a wide stance one in front of the other as if he was tripping him on a missed hit and at the same time Parros was falling on the ice. Ref jumped the gun without trying to figure out too much of what went on.

It just looked like tripping.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
That was 2 back to back game where the Panthers looked horrible. Good for our Habs to take advantage of a tired team.
I have been preaching that the defense needs balance and Gorges playing both left and right side helped big time. A silent producer. Markov is just king with his puck movement. I also liked Diaz with Markov on the PP, they complement each other well and perhaps the best someone has looked with Markov since Streit.

Analyzer*

I don't mind White doing stupid things like that after what appeared (and I still think was) very questionable hit on Gorges.

It's White's job to wail at opponents taking cheap shots at us. He stood up for Subban last year, and I am happy he stood up for Gorges yesterday.

It's not a bad idea to let other teams know some of our people aren't above wailing on them if they pull dangerous tricks.

Gorges got up. I like White and what he brings. If it was Steve Ott, or Brian Campbell I'd probably be more understanding. However, I can't recall Flesichmann doing anything that crosses the line.

Fleischmann shouldn't get a free pass just because he is a *****. He threw a dangerous hit on Gorges and paid the consequences.
So, if a habs player throws a dangerous hit and someone grabs him and starts beating him that's fine ?

Yes, Laracque was very successful at doing this for the Habs! :yo:

Other teams will just respond in kind.

Yeah, I think he was a bit too "enthusiastic". I think Therrien was happy about it in a way but unhappy about the 2 and 5. They are trying to change the culture from the JM "turn the other cheek" to standing up for teammates, that was sort of a side effect.

I love that mentality, but to go and do something like that is just asking for one of the non fighters on this team to get their head pounded in.

I got no problem with what White did, that is his job. You take liberties and your right to refusal goes away. You don't get to use " but I'm a good guy" excuse.

Although fleischmann is a pretty stand up guy, there are already tons of players who think they can do what they want with impunity and not have to answer the bell. If fleischmann had run price would you have a problem if white did the same thing? What I don't like is Dineen implying that white was a spot picker, I've seen enough of white that he does that no matter who runs gorges from behind.

White did it last year against Minnesota and Veilleux

Ryan Malone did it to Emelin for Emelin's hit (interferenece hit) and I highly doubt people on here were going "Yeah,Malone did right. Emelin deserved it"

When our player does it, people think it's right. When it happens to us, it's wrong...

Fast forward to the 35 second mark to see White. I guess this explains what he did :sarcasm:

I have no problem with habs players standing up for one another, but to just go attack someone is just asking for it to be returned back to us.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
To be honest I think White just showed how much respect the rest of the team has for Gorges. Gorges is such a warrior and you can tell every player on the team loves him, at this point in this season I LOVE what White did and its showing the rest of the league (even if it was just Fleischmann) that we're not going to be pushed around like in previous year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's OK. I get why you admire it. We all do when someone on our team does it, but then abhor it when the other guys do. White's fighting to prove validity and earn a spot on the roster now that Prust's around. I don't blame the reaction, due to that fact and the team's energy level at that moment, but it's not a smart move. Go rough him up, sure... but dropping the gloves and sucker punching a guy like fleischmann instantly like that? Nah. That's not good.

A few more reactions like White's from Prust, Moen and Bouillon and I'll bet the word spreads through the league and The Fleischmanns of the world will no longer take liberalities.

To be honest if that penalty had turned out to a turning point in the game and Panthers staged a come back I would still ask my players to go after cheap shots artists.

I think that was one of the meanings when Therrien said he wanted the Habs to be tough to play against.

PricePkPatch*

Gorges got up. I like White and what he brings. If it was Steve Ott, or Brian Campbell I'd probably be more understanding. However, I can't recall Flesichmann doing anything that crosses the line.

End result of a dirty play is irrelevant. You shouldn't stand up for a teammate only after an injury. Any hit that could have gone one the south end should provoke a reaction.

So, if a habs player throws a dangerous hit and someone grabs him and starts beating him that's fine ?

I didn't minded Lucic going after Subban last year, after they thought Subban elbowed Kreijc. Subban turtled (litterally) and got away with it. I don't like dirty hits that are potentially dangerous, although I wouldn't argue Subban's hit was actually dangerous (but I have no trouble believing that's what Lucic thought.. or he wanted to think)

Ryan Malone did it to Emelin for Emelin's hit (interferenece hit) and I highly doubt people on here were going "Yeah,Malone did right. Emelin deserved it"

Did Emelin pulled a dangerous hit? No, it was a perfectly legit and legal hit.

You cannot compare Emelin's hard but legal hits with a BOARDING that can potentially break a neck.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Fleishman's hit was dangerous. I'm glad White reacted the way he did. Sure it could've cost the team, but I think the rest of the guys appreciated it nonetheless and it gave them that extra motivation to go out there and kill that 5 minute for him.

I have no problems with that whatsoever. You come to the Bell Center you expect that if you do stupid things you'll have to answer for it.

Last edited:

PunkinDrublic*

It's OK. I get why you admire it. We all do when someone on our team does it, but then abhor it when the other guys do. White's fighting to prove validity and earn a spot on the roster now that Prust's around. I don't blame the reaction, due to that fact and the team's energy level at that moment, but it's not a smart move. Go rough him up, sure... but dropping the gloves and sucker punching a guy like fleischmann instantly like that? Nah. That's not good.

You clearly don't get it. And seriously we are not worried what an outside fan thinks about White. Therrien mentioned last night that what White did was a team play, and the team responded by killing the pp. My only guess is you haven't been watching enough of our heartless team over the last few years.

Whitey !!!:yo:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Other teams will just respond in kind.

I love that mentality, but to go and do something like that is just asking for one of the non fighters on this team to get their head pounded in.

I have no problem with habs players standing up for one another, but to just go attack someone is just asking for it to be returned back to us.

White and veilleux went twice that game the first time veilleux did the ring around the rosey to be on whites back.

You are missing the point about fleischmann, it's not about who it's about what. If the leafs decided to tune up gionta last year after he ran Reiner, I might not like it but I'm not going to denounce it either.

Being a lady bing candidate does not afford you a get out of jail free card.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pretty dumb play by White and the 2nd time he's done it.

It's Tomas ****ing Fleischmann for **** sakes. You can't just decide to start wailing on people. You go up to them, grab them and challenge/shake them. That's sending a message.

Going up and just starting to punch someone when they're not ready and especially a non fighter like Fleischmann is a poor decision.

I'm guessing you went to the Brisebois school of intimidation.

PunkinDrublic*

I think White could have sent the samne message by keeping his gloves on and "roughing him up". May have led to a 2 min PP but at least not a 5 min one.

Yeah your right, this has worked so well for us in the past !!!:shakehead

Whitey kicked ass and the Habs won, stop whining people holy **** !

Gorges appreciated it. And so did the coach, so what you armchair GM's think
( including myself ) means nothing.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
I'm by far a fan of goons, but I'm very happy with what White did and it was totally deserved (also, the score was 4-1, ffs). I don't give a **** if it's George Parros or Paul Karyia (didn't he win a bunch of Lady Byngs?), who hits one of our guys from behind dangerously.

If one of our guys hit someone dangerously, I'd definitely expect someone from the other team to go after him and it would be well deserved.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Gorges, who was already up, should have defended himself against one of the soffffest players around. We don't need White taking 5 min majors everytime he is in the vacinity of a hit.

PricePkPatch*

Gorges, who was already up, should have defended himself against one of the soffffest players around. We don't need White taking 5 min majors everytime he is in the vacinity of a hit.

You are making stuff up. You are pulling a Strawman argument. Can't you argue intelligently?

We don't want White to jump everyone who hits our guys. We want White to jump everyone who hits our guys DIRTILY.

Like Boarding. Elbowing. Slew-footing. Roughing up Price slightly.

Analyzer*

End result of a dirty play is irrelevant. You shouldn't stand up for a teammate only after an injury. Any hit that could have gone one the south end should provoke a reaction.

I didn't minded Lucic going after Subban last year, after they thought Subban elbowed Kreijc. Subban turtled (litterally) and got away with it. I don't like dirty hits that are potentially dangerous, although I wouldn't argue Subban's hit was actually dangerous (but I have no trouble believing that's what Lucic thought.. or he wanted to think)

Did Emelin pulled a dangerous hit? No, it was a perfectly legit and legal hit.

You cannot compare Emelin's hard but legal hits with a BOARDING that can potentially break a neck.

Emelin drilled Malone when Malone didn't have the puck. That's an ILLEGAL hit. You can't break a guy's neck, unless you're superman, but Malone could have smashed his head against the ice.

White and veilleux went twice that game the first time veilleux did the ring around the rosey to be on whites back.

You are missing the point about fleischmann, it's not about who it's about what. If the leafs decided to tune up gionta last year after he ran Reiner, I might not like it but I'm not going to denounce it either.

Being a lady bing candidate does not afford you a get out of jail free card.

No, and I like that White stood up for Gorges, but no one is going to like it when it happens to a habs player.

I'm guessing you went to the Brisebois school of intimidation.

I'm guessing that if Florida was better and that pp lead to the habs losing you wouldn't be so happy.

If Flesichmann would have been a fighter he would have been prepared. White will do it again and he'll do it against fighters who are ready to defend themselves.

Will people so easily try to take liberties with the habs ? No. Is there a possibility that if one Habs player does anything even remotely dirty they will face the same next time we play Florida ? Very much so.

PricePkPatch*

Emelin drilled Malone when Malone didn't have the puck. That's an ILLEGAL hit. You can't break a guy's neck, unless you're superman, but Malone could have smashed his head against the ice.

The only thing illegal about Emelin's hit was the fact that Malone didn't had the puck.

That's it. Any open ice hit can potentially cause head damage for falling on the ice, but that's how the game is played.

Had Emelin boarded Malone, or slewfooted him, or anything that, by itself, would be dangerous for the player's safety... then yhea, he would have deserved to be jumped.

But that wasn't the case. It was a LEGAL HIT done at an ILLEGAL MOMENT.

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
Whitey knew Fleischmann wasn't going to fight him and the only way to send the message "you don't run one of our players like that" was to get in there quick and give him a couple good jabs.

The message would NOT have been sent if he just went up to him and grabbed his collar and shook him around. When a guy pulls a stupid hit, you make him pay for it one way or another and that's precisely what White was doing.

I don't have a problem with it at all, especially for the fact that it was always us on the receiving end the last few years.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Is it just be or is Gorges going for some harder hits this year and hitting more often in the first two games than I'm used to seeing?

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
Is it just be or is Gorges going for some harder hits this year and hitting more often in the first two games than I'm used to seeing?

He had a couple great hits last night. Maybe he's trying to contribute to the higher level of intensity that Michel Therrien is asking the team to bring every night.

He's a leader in the room and on the ice, so he needs to be one of the main contributors to achieve that goal.

PricePkPatch*

He had a couple great hits last night. Maybe he's trying to contribute to the higher level of intensity that Michel Therrien is asking the team to bring every night.

He's a leader in the room and on the ice, so he needs to be one of the main contributors to achieve that goal.

This, or the addition of guys like Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon are creating a "hitting in comittee" attitude amongst players, kinda like in New York.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

This, or the addition of guys like Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon are creating a "hitting in comittee" attitude amongst players, kinda like in New York.

This explains it.

But also, JM wanted a more reserved way, sit back and shutdown the play.

MT says no soffff player here. I tougkt we need physiphysicality.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Pretty dumb play by White and the 2nd time he's done it.

It's Tomas ****ing Fleischmann for **** sakes. You can't just decide to start wailing on people. You go up to them, grab them and challenge/shake them. That's sending a message.

Going up and just starting to punch someone when they're not ready and especially a non fighter like Fleischmann is a poor decision.

:laugh:

Is it, now? And what message would that be? "Don't do that again or I'll be pretty darn upset with you!"

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The last successful Habs 1st lines, Higgins-Koivu-Ryder and Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev, both roared back the following season with repeat performances.

Wait, what? Isn't it the contrary?

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev never clicked again after their big season in 2007-08.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder worked for the 2nd half of 2005-06 and a good chunk 2006-07, but Ryder was horrible in 2007-08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad