Habs win 4-1, Diaz + Markov = awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think White's response was appropriate against the Bruin's player who tried to run Subban (Boychuck?), however I don't think it was very appropriate in this situation. Maybe I didn't see the hit as that dangerous. Sure, Fleischmann may have been a bit overzealous, but there was no intent to run or injure Gorges, it just that it occurred in that danger zone ~10 feet from the boards. I don't even think Gorges had a problem with the hit.

I'm not totally against the response, I just hope he doesn't overdo it. If White starts getting a reputation for this stuff, he'll spend most of career suspended and he's not much of a deterrent on the sidelines. If he's going to attack skill players, he's going to have to answer to opposing team's tough guys as well. I don't question White's toughness, but I don't think he has the capabilities to go up against guys like Parros on a regular basis. And he WILL have answer to Parros after going after Fleischmann.

Fleischmann had 26 minutes in penalties last year and only 32 hits. This is NOT the kind of player we need to slow down in terms of running around against us.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching the Abs as much as I did last night. Effort, grit ad intelligence. Besides the penalties they took, they were letter perfect. And Carey Price s truly the backbone of this team.

The Detroit Thrashing. The Centennial Game. The Game up until Chara killed Pacioretty. The Minnesotta thrashing. The Chicago Playoff Clincher where Subban scored in OT.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Taking into account it was Florida's 3rd game in 3 days, here's what i liked from the game:

Markov's PP smarts. Hey PK, it's not about winding up hitting it as hard as you can, it's about patience and accuracy.

Galchenyuk's goal was a classic "we never do that ever" goal. Create space in front of the net, take a hit, stay there, tip it home for the goal. Maybe one of my favorite goals by a Hab in a long, long time.

White's retaliation. Totally illegal, totally necessary. Creates great morale and team bonding.

Bourque's play. Overall i thought he played with a purpose. That's all i really expect from him. If he can do that every game, i'd be happy.

Most of our players played well, but that was to be expected against a tired team. Still, i was happy to see that we played with grit and hustle, and didn't take anything for granted.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The only thing illegal about Emelin's hit was the fact that Malone didn't had the puck.
But that wasn't the case. It was a LEGAL HIT done at an ILLEGAL MOMENT.

Kind of sounds like the Chara hit on Pacioretty.

Seriously, any hit that is made when another player isn't expecting it (doesn't have any reason to expect) is extremely dirty. If a player doesn't have a chance to defend himself, he's completely at the mercy of the opponent (like Pacioretty).

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
As a coach, Therrien needs to pick his battles... Does he go after White? His penalty had some downside with lots of upside... I'd rather Therrien spends that same "making a point" energy in curbing dumb offensive zone penalties.

PricePkPatch*

As a coach, Therrien needs to pick his battles... Does he go after White? His penalty had some downside with lots of upside... I'd rather Therrien spends that same "making a point" energy in curbing dumb offensive zone penalties.

I actually explored that question earlier in the thread, quoting an academic political paper.

In a nutshell: Therrien should punish White, but not sufficiently that it will deter the players from doing these sort of things again.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

To be fair, some of the penalties, like the one on Moen for example are just bad calls. The guy fell like a sack of potatoes the second he felt a slight touch. And it went both ways. Way too many ghost penalties now in the NHL. It was the same vs the T.O game. Takes all the flow out of the game. Don't lightly brush the guy's hip with your stick, But rip someone's helmet off after the whistle in front of the net - no problem!

btw - looking at your avatar Galchenyuk does look a little like Chucky. :laugh:

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
I cannot believe some posters are against the White's reaction to a dangerous hit from behind. White or anyone else close by must do that. One poster said Flieschman(sp?) was not ready to be punched so that is why White should not be hitting him. I a pretty sure Gorges was not "ready" to be flung face first into the boards like that either. We don't want anyone taking liberties with anyone on our team and White's reaction let the Panthers know it. I did not see any other obviously dirty hits after that.

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
I actually explored that question earlier in the thread, quoting an academic political paper.

In a nutshell: Therrien should punish White, but not sufficiently that it will deter the players from doing these sort of things again.

I am not sure you mean what I think you mean. Are you saying that the coach should punish White? Maybe sit him or something, for defending a team mate from a dirty play? I think White did exactly the right thing with all things considered. We were up 4-1, Gorges is a key component of our team, a leader.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Therrien didn't seem angry with White's actions in his post game. Quite the opposite, I think he appreciated it. Don't blame him. I thought White did well. Even the NHL didn't want to punish him.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
I cannot believe some posters are against the White's reaction to a dangerous hit from behind. White or anyone else close by must do that. One poster said Flieschman(sp?) was not ready to be punched so that is why White should not be hitting him. I a pretty sure Gorges was not "ready" to be flung face first into the boards like that either. We don't want anyone taking liberties with anyone on our team and White's reaction let the Panthers know it. I did not see any other obviously dirty hits after that.

I absolutely loved White's reaction. No dicking around, just straight up punches. It's reactions like this that make opponents think twice before making dangerous hits.

When I was young a reaction like this was expected and we didn't see much turtling, a player who gave such a hit would turn around expecting a fight.

PricePkPatch*

I am not sure you mean what I think you mean. Are you saying that the coach should punish White? Maybe sit him or something, for defending a team mate from a dirty play? I think White did exactly the right thing with all things considered. We were up 4-1, Gorges is a key component of our team, a leader.

Please understand that this is something quite subtle.

Therrien shouldn't punish White for standing up for a teammate.
He should punish White for provoking a 5-minute penalty.

However, he shouldn't punish White strong enough so White won't do the same action again. You don't want to discourage that sort of behaviour.

On the other hand, you want the team to know that when White will stand up for you, he knows he's doing it knowing there WILL be consequences from the coach (because of the penalties). Meaning the team will just love White even more; for he sticks his neck out for them.

If you create conditions in which players knows their teammate sacrifice something for sticking up to you, it will knit this team together.

If you create conditions in which players are rewarded by the coach for sticking up to each other, some might wonder if they aren't simply trying to get favors from the coach rather than genuinely sticking up for a teammate.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Easy to forget how good Markov really is. Looked great last night. Dominant puck mover. Extremely impressive. Hopefully he can stay healthy for you guys.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Easy to forget how good Markov really is. Looked great last night. Dominant puck mover. Extremely impressive. Hopefully he can stay healthy for you guys.

I hope he keeps this up all season, Markov virtually always makes the right play and yesterday he showed us that he hasn't lost any of that magic.

I think the only mistake he made was that extra pass on the PP which he corrected when he decided to shoot the next time around.

pl4tinum

Feb 21, 2012
Watching the replay, I feel like White could have probably just bodychecked the daylights out of Fleischman right then and there. But the punches were nice... :)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm not totally against the response, I just hope he doesn't overdo it. If White starts getting a reputation for this stuff, he'll spend most of career suspended and he's not much of a deterrent on the sidelines. If he's going to attack skill players, he's going to have to answer to opposing team's tough guys as well. I don't question White's toughness, but I don't think he has the capabilities to go up against guys like Parros on a regular basis. And he WILL have answer to Parros after going after Fleischmann.

A reputation for what exactly? Standing up for a teamate. Hell I hope he gets precisely this reputation.

And I vociferously object to your characterization that White
"attacked a skill player". White's actions were in response to Fleischman's questionable hit. If white had skated up to fleischman two minutes earlier and tune him up good, then he would be getting a bad reputation. But I suspect that if white himself was run the way georges was he wouldnt have acted the same way.

I dont care if you are a PIM leader or a perennial lady bing candidate, if it is perceived that you have committed a transgression that has the appearance of taking liberties with players, you dont get to claim that it is a rare event and that you should be spared from receiving your just deserts. Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee

If parros wants to dance with white, I'm sure he wont have to ask more than once, but white's response was a reaction, not an action. I dont see parros having a beef with white for doing exactly what parros would have done if the shoe was on the other foot.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Watching the replay, I feel like White could have probably just bodychecked the daylights out of Fleischman right then and there. But the punches were nice... :)

White dropped the mitts near the circle, I think its pretty clear he was not looking to bodycheck anyone.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

And no one forgets more quickly than a Habs fan.

The 'tankers' around here truly underestimate what this team has and can accomplish with both Markov and Subban in the lineup. With these two on different pairings, it's 40+ minutes of solid top pairing play every game.

PunkinDrublic*

And how the **** is he going to do this after openly stating he was happy with what White did ?

You guys....:shakehead

Go Whitey Go !! Do it again if need be !!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wait, what? Isn't it the contrary?

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev never clicked again after their big season in 2007-08.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder worked for the 2nd half of 2005-06 and a good chunk 2006-07, but Ryder was horrible in 2007-08.
IIRC, Ryder got not PP time that year. His goal totals reflected that.

PunkinDrublic*

And no one forgets more quickly than a Habs fan.

The 'tankers' around here truly underestimate what this team has and can accomplish with both Markov and Subban in the lineup. With these two on different pairings, it's 40+ minutes of solid top pairing play every game.

Halleluia Ozz Halleluia....

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Pretty dumb play by White and the 2nd time he's done it.

It's Tomas ****ing Fleischmann for **** sakes. You can't just decide to start wailing on people. You go up to them, grab them and challenge/shake them. That's sending a message.

Going up and just starting to punch someone when they're not ready and especially a non fighter like Fleischmann is a poor decision.

Pretty dumb play by Fleischman and the umpteenth time he's done it. It's Josh ****ing Gorges for **** sakes. You can't just decide to smash his head into the boards when he's not looking.Players like him and Markov have both received knee injuries from those types of hits.That's sending a message to their teammates that you don't care.So don't be acting the fool when someone reacts to your blindside hit in kind.Very poor decision on your part Fleischman.:shakehead:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad