Habs win 4-1, Diaz + Markov = awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I mean a reputation with referees and league officials about being a loose cannon. Hits like Fleischmann on Gorges happen every game in this league - I don't think the hit was nearly as dirty as many around here claim. If White is going to attack a player every time a hit like that happens, he will shortly be under the microscope of each official every game (which hurts the team) and shortly suspended, with each subsequent suspension getting longer and longer. I don't hate what White did, but there is a limit to how often you can respond like that. I just didn't think that was the right time or against the right player to send that message.

Ya if that was White driving Fleishmann head first into the boards I don't think you would be saying "that happens every game!"

White punched him in the face which is a lot less dangerous than running a guy from behind, give it up you are just embarrassing yourself.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes, he's a stand up guy that did something very uncommon: make a dirty hit. So it's not the "stand up guys" we are trying to make less likely to re-offend, it's the dirty hits from re-occurring. Who cares if it was Matt Cooke or a Lady Bing candidate that did the hit? It's the end result that matters. I find your logic is extremely flawed.

In the same train of thought though, I would love to see White do that to Lucic, because you just KNOW he's going to do some dirty shenanigans. So, Mr. White, we are all eagerly awaiting for an encore, if you dare. ;)

It makes no difference if its Cooke or fleischman, White does the same thing, everytime because I dont think hes a spot picker. White is not a super or even a heavyweight (upper middle weight) but he will go with pretty much anyone and in this case him going was not to impose his will on fleischman or to give the habs a jump but to indicate, in no uncertain terms, that such events will not be met without a pushback. If it were a guy who could smoke White, I'm convinced this makes no difference he still goes in throwing. I have no problem with White going with lucic ( and I absolutely predict he would) if lucic boarded georges even if he loses. Its a hell of a lot better than what the sabres did when lucic DID RUN miller.

And, once again relying on the people who lace them up past and present, the fact that you CANT tune a guy up without getting the hook now ( but you could previously) I think contributes a lot to the courage a lot of these guys have.

Im sorry that your opinion is shared by an extreme, extreme minority of people who have had to face the consequences of loose stickwork and questionable hits.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
It's crazy how a good hockey game can lift your mood. I just had a great day, after a great evening. We NEEDED this win - not just a win, but a convincing one.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes, he's a stand up guy that did something very uncommon: make a dirty hit. So it's not the "stand up guys" we are trying to make less likely to re-offend, it's the dirty hits from re-occurring. Who cares if it was Matt Cooke or a Lady Bing candidate that did the hit? It's the end result that matters. I find your logic is extremely flawed.)

Is it your position that because Fleischmann is a pretty clean guy without a record of such incidents that he should be able to do whatever the hell he wants on the ice with impunity ? That players like white are obligated to both consider and give precendence to a players history over the actual act ? Really ?

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
It makes no difference if its Cooke or fleischman, White does the same thing, everytime because I dont think hes a spot picker. White is not a super or even a heavyweight (upper middle weight) but he will go with pretty much anyone and in this case him going was not to impose his will on fleischman or to give the habs a jump but to indicate, in no uncertain terms, that such events will not be met without a pushback. If it were a guy who could smoke White, I'm convinced this makes no difference he still goes in throwing. I have no problem with White going with lucic ( and I absolutely predict he would) if lucic boarded georges even if he loses. Its a hell of a lot better than what the sabres did when lucic DID RUN miller.

I didn't say he was a spot picker, I remember full well he fought McQuaid, It was more of a "I would pay to see that fight".

And, once again relying on the people who lace them up past and present, the fact that you CANT tune a guy up without getting the hook now ( but you could previously) I think contributes a lot to the courage a lot of these guys have.

Im sorry that your opinion is shared by an extreme, extreme minority of people who have had to face the consequences of loose stickwork and questionable hits.

:huh: You think I am defending Fleischmann?

Is it your position that because Fleischmann is a pretty clean guy without a record of such incidents that he should be able to do whatever the hell he wants on the ice with impunity ? That players like white are obligated to both consider and give precendence to a players history over the actual act ? Really ?

This is the exact point I'm arguing to YOU. :laugh:

Read your post again which was the one I replied to.

Yeah because in the absence of "proof" ( whatever that might actually be) let's just presume that anyone's opinion carries the exact same amount of weight of to the opinion of 95% of the players who have ever laced them up, coaches and GM's.

Carey Price thinks it had an impact, that's good enough for me. The question is not whether these things can prevent incidents within the same game but whether the tuning a guy but good makes him more or less likely to re-offend. Fleischman is a pretty good stand up guy, trying to prove a decrease in an exceptionally rare event is causal is extremely difficult.

My personal experience is that players DO play faster and looser with their sticks and hits when they know they don't HAVE to answer the bell.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Ya if that was White driving Fleishmann head first into the boards I don't think you would be saying "that happens every game!"

White punched him in the face which is a lot less dangerous than running a guy from behind, give it up you are just embarrassing yourself.

I've made 2 posts on the subject, but yeah, I'll "give it a rest already" because you happen to disagree.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
White is crazy.

It's been a while since the last time we had a crazy guy in our lineup.

We'll have to get used to it. Against Florida it went well, in other situations it won't be so fun.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I've made 2 posts on the subject, but yeah, I'll "give it a rest already" because you happen to disagree.

The HAB player was the one in danger not your nancy, if you expect us to get angry at White for defending his own team you need to get your **** together.

Price himself said White "was defending gorges" and he actually plays the game so you Donnie are out of your element.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The HAB player was the one in danger not your nancy, if you expect us to get angry at White for defending his own team you need to get your **** together.

Price himself said White "was defending gorges" and he actually plays the game so you Donnie are out of your element.

Maybe you're the one who should give it up already. I never defended Fleischmann nor got angry at White, what the hell are you talking about? I'm glad the team appreciates what White did. I'm not going to restate my argument here, but if you read my posts you'll see that your characterization of my opinion is way off.

Edit: there are a number of posts on page 17 that are attributed to me but was actually written by another poster, Habchum I think. Perhaps you are referring to those.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
White's timing was wrong. Could had waited another shift to rattle Fleishman. He put his team in bad position abd that could had lead to many goals by Florida.

So he should have waited for next shift before sending a message that we won't tolerate these kind of acts anymore?
What if someone else does it again before that shift happens because they saw no one standing up against it?
I don't care if we got a 5min penalty on this, or even if we got scored on, it was the right thing to do.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
So he should have waited for next shift before sending a message that we won't tolerate these kind of acts anymore?
What if someone else does it again before that shift happens because they saw no one standing up against it?
I don't care if we got a 5min penalty on this, or even if we got scored on, it was the right thing to do.

FFS I didn't write that, Habtchum did!

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
for all the defending of white, the next time, when a bruin or whoever else does something similar, this board will turn into a huge pile of crying nancies and everyone knows it. that's the only sad thing about this whole 'discussion'.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
for all the defending of white, the next time, when a bruin or whoever else does something similar, this board will turn into a huge pile of crying nancies and everyone knows it. that's the only sad thing about this whole 'discussion'.

And unlike Ryan White, the Bruins enforcers are not middleweights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad