Proposal: Habs wheeling and dealing at deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think MTL is showcasing Dvorak. There is no way your evaluation of both players is that Dvorak is a better player because he has more TOI than Monahan. Give it time, and Monahan will definatly be moved to 2C or even 1RW.

Monahan is fragile 2C on friendly contract value.
Dvorak is 3C on generous contract value.
No matter how you spin it.
Yep, Dvorak sucks. He’s getting caved on shot share as per usual. Hopefully the Habs find a sucker to trade him to at the deadline.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Monahan is likely worth a B prospect and a 2nd rounder, or better.
Montembeault, as a rent-to-try, has to be worth a 2nd as well.

McLeod is a guy Montreal can take back, without adding value as such.
Bourgault might be seen as a B prospect or worth a second. So both players for Monahan would still be light... and both for both Habs is just not worth discussing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Monahan is likely worth a B prospect and a 2nd rounder, or better.
Montembeault, as a rent-to-try, has to be worth a 2nd as well.

McLeod is a guy Montreal can take back, without adding value as such.
Bourgault might be seen as a B prospect or worth a second. So both players for Monahan would still be light... and both for both Habs is just not worth discussing.
Edmonton actually doesn't need to send back any salary at all to fit Montembeault in.

I personally don't see the fit for Monahan at all, but yes, if he was included that's where the salary is needed.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton actually doesn't need to send back any salary at all to fit Montembeault in.

I personally don't see the fit for Monahan at all, but yes, if he was included that's where the salary is needed.
I'd move McLeod for Monahan for sure. I see that as a worthwhile upgrade on the 3rd line. The Oilers need depth scoring.

We can debate who adds what pick where. I value Bourgault more than a 2nd round pick. Opinions on your end may differ. That's okay.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'd move McLeod for Monahan for sure. I see that as a worthwhile upgrade on the 3rd line. The Oilers need depth scoring.

We can debate who adds what pick where. I value Bourgault more than a 2nd round pick. Opinions on your end may differ. That's okay.
I'm genuinely curious as to why you value Bourgault so highly. He was a late 1st round pick. He's not small,but he's not big either, and he hasn't rely done anything to distinguish hi.self since being drafted. His numbers in the ahl are pedestrian at best. Can he still break out? Sure. But what makes him worth more than Montembeault and Monahan?

Gally999

Aug 19, 2020
I value Bourgault more than a 2nd round pick
You, Edmonton fans, could answer me: what do you think of Bourgault, what are his strengths? His name has come up a few times in trade rumors. We have a few prospects like Mesar, Farrell, Beck, who are good players but who may not bring enough to take someone else's place. Is Bourgault superior to these players, does he have a particular strength that gives him a head start, like Joshua Roy who has a hockeyIQ that gives him a better chance than the others?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Of Monahan's 6 goals, 5 are on the powerplay. He has one goal and 5 points at even strength. He wouldn't help where Edmonton needs it.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You, Edmonton fans, could answer me: what do you think of Bourgault, what are his strengths? His name has come up a few times in trade rumors. We have a few prospects like Mesar, Farrell, Beck, who are good players but who may not bring enough to take someone else's place. Is Bourgault superior to these players, does he have a particular strength that gives him a head start, like Joshua Roy who has a hockeyIQ that gives him a better chance than the others?

I can't speak to the Habs prospects. You guys probably know them a lot better than I do.

Xavier Bourgault is the best prospect the Oilers have. I don't think anyone can dispute that. He just turned 21 in October. He played 62 games last year with Bakersfield in the AHL, putting up 34 points. Not bad for a 20 year old.

Bourgault is fast. He can skate and thinks the game well. Probably the best attributes he has are his brains and his speed. These are two skills that translate well to the NHL where you have to think and react quickly because the game is so fast.

He has good hands as well, but so far in the AHL this year he only has 5 points in 12 games. Not bad but not tearing it up. Probably the main factor for this is that Bourgault is playing a solid two way game in Bakersfield. That isn't quite what the Oilers thought they were getting when they drafted him, as everyone thought he was a lethal offensive weapon. To his credit he is working hard on his two way game. Most of his points last season were at 5v5 and he even got 2 short handed goals last year. I think this reflects what is happening in Bakersfield. Chaulk is focusing on a defensive scheme so players have to adjust.

He is close to NHL ready. We'll get a better idea as to what he is capable of doing in the new year when he is more likely to make an appearance with the big club.

Of Monahan's 6 goals, 5 are on the powerplay. He has one goal and 5 points at even strength. He wouldn't help where Edmonton needs it.
Good points, but I think everyone would agree Monahan is an upgrade on McLeod. Hell, even one goal at even strength is an upgrade on what we have right now at 3C.

Reactions: Gally999

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can't speak to the Habs prospects. You guys probably know them a lot better than I do.

Xavier Bourgault is the best prospect the Oilers have. I don't think anyone can dispute that. He just turned 21 in October. He played 62 games last year with Bakersfield in the AHL, putting up 34 points. Not bad for a 20 year old.

Bourgault is fast. He can skate and thinks the game well. Probably the best attributes he has are his brains and his speed. These are two skills that translate well to the NHL where you have to think and react quickly because the game is so fast.

He has good hands as well, but so far in the AHL this year he only has 5 points in 12 games. Not bad but not tearing it up. Probably the main factor for this is that Bourgault is playing a solid two way game in Bakersfield. That isn't quite what the Oilers thought they were getting when they drafted him, as everyone thought he was a lethal offensive weapon. To his credit he is working hard on his two way game. Most of his points last season were at 5v5 and he even got 2 short handed goals last year. I think this reflects what is happening in Bakersfield. Chaulk is focusing on a defensive scheme so players have to adjust.

He is close to NHL ready. We'll get a better idea as to what he is capable of doing in the new year when he is more likely to make an appearance with the big club.

Good points, but I think everyone would agree Monahan is an upgrade on McLeod. Hell, even one goal at even strength is an upgrade on what we have right now at 3C.
James Hamblin has two.... you sure about that?

Reactions: TFHockey

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I posted something similar on another thread; Monahan (no retention) for McLeod and a pick or a prospect. I suggested Savoie but Habs fans know more organizationally what they need than I do.

I don't see Holland moving Broberg in a deal for just a 3C though.

Wait, wait wait.

Monahan (3C) + Montembeault ($2.985 Million cap hit moving out) + Wild's 3rd 2023

for

McLeod (3C) + Broberg ($2.963 Million cap hit moving out)

Oilers are missing a 3rd rounder in this years draft, the Habs have two.

That might actually work.
That's an easy pass from the Habs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yep, Dvorak sucks. He’s getting caved on shot share as per usual. Hopefully the Habs find a sucker to trade him to at the deadline.
Slaf and Caufield playing their best hockey with Dvorak. Makes solid second line. Also makes trading Monahan easier. Makes team strong down middle next season when Dach gets back.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Slaf and Caufield playing their best hockey with Dvorak. Makes solid second line. Also makes trading Monahan easier. Makes team strong down middle next season when Dach gets back.
Other than Dvaorak plays in his own end more that 90% of Habs players he’s great. He‘s doing exactly what the Habs need him to do to help them get a better draft pick.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Savard Montreal may move at deadline. He's good a ring, solid defensively. Looking for Chiarot type return.

Monahan is good third line center. With size and good on faceoffs. A valuable piece for team in playoffs. Asking a first?

Allen + retention for 3rd. He's good veteran depth.

Pearson asking 5th round pick?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Savard Montreal may move at deadline. He's good a ring, solid defensively. Looking for Chiarot type return.

Monahan is good third line center. With size and good on faceoffs. A valuable piece for team in playoffs. Asking a first?

Allen + retention for 3rd. He's good veteran depth.

Pearson asking 5th round pick?
Not a smart move to use our last retention spot for a 3rd rd pick.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I predict Habs move Allen, Monahan, Armia, Matheson. Return will be 2 - first round picks, a 3rd round pick and a solid prospect. Habs free up 10 million for next summer. Offer a big name UFA or take contract from another team.

A third for Allen, he's decent backup. A 3rd for cup contender to have depth in net is cheap. They can flip him in summer. Monahan a first. He's playing like his Calgary days. Matheson probably a Toffoli type return. A first and solid prospect. Armia is NHL caliber player. Trade him for AHL depth at center.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_7320.gif

Reactions: pth2

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I predict Habs move Allen, Monahan, Armia, Matheson. Return will be 2 - first round picks, a 3rd round pick and a solid prospect. Habs free up 10 million for next summer. Offer a big name UFA or take contract from another team.

A third for Allen, he's decent backup. A 3rd for cup contender to have depth in net is cheap. They can flip him in summer. Monahan a first. He's playing like his Calgary days. Matheson probably a Toffoli type return. A first and solid prospect. Armia is NHL caliber player. Trade him for AHL depth at center.
Nope. Won't be that active. Of the guys you listed only Monahan is on an expiring contract (which makes him a trade deadline candidate). Montreal will likely move a goalie at some point. Beyond that i dont see them doing much at the deadline.

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah.
Nope. Won't be that active. Of the guys you listed only Monahan is on an expiring contract (which makes him a trade deadline candidate). Montreal will likely move a goalie at some point. Beyond that i dont see them doing much at the deadline.
I could imagine one of Dvorak, Allen, Kovacevic, Savard getting moved, as well, but not several of them.

If someone wants to give a 5th for Pearson, he's all theirs.

Reactions: Mrfenn92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad