Proposal: Habs wheeling and dealing at deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think he means opportunity cost in that a conditional first means that first rounder is unavailable for other moves, which aren't necessarily related with acquiring a center.

Both. It’s a little abstract at this point in the season due to a lack of clarity in terms of who’s buyers and sellers in terms of what he seems to be addressing.

It’s also applies in terms of what you describe. Someone mentioned a contingency pick off of a contingency pick. Someone has to be ok with either though. The truth is, future 2nds are worth less than 2nds today (in a vacuum). It’s the same as a dollar today being worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Quality of draft class might matter too though.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I will start with an apology to OP. For weeks I believed that "whealing" was a typo and that OP intended to type "wheeling". Since none of the moderators have corrected the spelling, and it has been over three weeks, I am now assuming that "whealing" must have been the intended word.

I was not familiar with "whealing" so I googled it. I could not find "whealing" but learned that "wheal" is an English word, meaning: "a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions".

So now I have all kinds of questions:
Are the Habs causing wheals on the other clubs at the trade deadline or are the other clubs causing wheals on the Habs?
Are the wheals caused by whipping or by allergic reactions?
If the wheals are caused by whipping, why isn't the NHL, or maybe the NHLPA, interceding to stop it?
If the wheals are caused by an allergic reaction, why would the Habs be allergic to the trade deadline? Why would any club be?
Or are the Habs allergic to "dealing" and not to the trade deadline?

There are so many unanswered questions. Any clarification that can be provided will be much appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: Bottle Rocket

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Both. It’s a little abstract at this point in the season due to a lack of clarity in terms of who’s buyers and sellers in terms of what he seems to be addressing.

It’s also applies in terms of what you describe. Someone mentioned a contingency pick off of a contingency pick. Someone has to be ok with either though. The truth is, future 2nds are worth less than 2nds today (in a vacuum). It’s the same as a dollar today being worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Quality of draft class might matter too though.
I know some people see pick value as declining, but I just don't see it, other than teams possibly improving. It's not as if there were inflation...
But Colorado's 2nd rounder in 2027 shouldn't be worth less than the one in 2024, in fact it's far more likely to be a better pick.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Easy pass for the Habs. McLeod is useless to us and we can do better than a 2nd for 50%retained on Monahan

I'm not 100% certain, but wouldn't the cap hit saved be negligible on his 2M AAV contract with only 25% of the season remaining at the trade deadline? I know real dollars it'd only be around 500k remaining for the season, but I'm not certain if the cap hit works the same as the salary. If it works similar to how salary is paid out then I don't see much of a gain from retaining half of so little.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I know some people see pick value as declining, but I just don't see it, other than teams possibly improving. It's not as if there were inflation...
But Colorado's 2nd rounder in 2027 shouldn't be worth less than the one in 2024, in fact it's far more likely to be a better pick.

It interfaces with time value of money. More immediate utility makes it worth more.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not 100% certain, but wouldn't the cap hit saved be negligible on his 2M AAV contract with only 25% of the season remaining at the trade deadline? I know real dollars it'd only be around 500k remaining for the season, but I'm not certain if the cap hit works the same as the salary. If it works similar to how salary is paid out then I don't see much of a gain from retaining half of so little.
It can still be the difference between being able to add him, and being unable to do so.
Also, a playoff team would probably prefer to have cap room to call up kids, rest healthy veterans, etc., so that room probably won't go to waste.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Agreed. A 2025 pick might be at least equal to 2024 because it looks like a deep draft but the farhter out you go, and adding 2-3 years of development, the value decreases. Especially to the GM who might not be the GM when the player makes the NHL.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why post crap? Slafkovsky is 19? He hs 2 or 3 years to develop before any evaluation is worth doing.
Come on man. You know if Slaf was playing well and on pace for 40 goals, you'd be calling him a future HOFer. You most certainly can evaluate a player with 60 NHL games under his belt. Is the book written on the kid after 60 games? No, he's 19... but you can surely start to evaluate his game, his potential, his strengths and weaknesses.

And you'd have liked to have seen more strengths and fewer holes in Salfkovsky's game by this point.

Reactions: TS Quint

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Come on man. You know if Slaf was playing well and on pace for 40 goals, you'd be calling him a future HOFer. You most certainly can evaluate a player with 60 NHL games under his belt. Is the book written on the kid after 60 games? No, he's 19... but you can surely start to evaluate his game, his potential, his strengths and weaknesses.

And you'd have liked to have seen more strengths and fewer holes in Salfkovsky's game by this point.
But you would reply that pace doesn't mean shat, and that he is only 19 lol.
You'd be the first to call for patience before crowning him.

So let's just be patient and see.

Lafresnière is the perfect example, as are a lot of big body high picks. It will take time to see what we got.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Can a mod correct “whealing” already? This is triggering me each time I come to this forum and see this butchered word. o_O

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can a mod correct “whealing” already? This is triggering me each time I come to this forum and see this butchered word. o_O

Granted.......consider it my early Xams gift to you (see what I did there). :)

Reactions: Guffman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But you would reply that pace doesn't mean shat, and that he is only 19 lol.
You'd be the first to call for patience before crowning him.

So let's just be patient and see.

Lafresnière is the perfect example, as are a lot of big body high picks. It will take time to see what we got.
Agree his story isn't written yet. But we're thru the first chapter and they book isn't very interesting or off to a good start.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Monahan (50% retained) for Oilers 2024 2nd + Ryan McLeod.

I'd roll the dice as it improves our 3C and creates some cap space.
I'd bet Montreal gets a better offer elsewhere, though.

The retention could easily be done through a 3d team for a 5th rounder if Montreal wants to keep its last slot for Pearson or someone with a contract next season (Allen, Dvorak, Savard).

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd bet Montreal gets a better offer elsewhere, though.

The retention could easily be done through a 3d team for a 5th rounder if Montreal wants to keep its last slot for Pearson or someone with a contract next season (Allen, Dvorak, Savard).

I don’t disagree they might get a better offer as I’m not very big on McLeod. That Oilers 2nd sits as a pretty high 2nd rounder with where the Oil are in the standings though.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I know Canucks fans would kill me, but I wonder if theirs anything that could be built around a Garland for Anderson (with retention]) trade.

Garland

for

4th
Anderson with 35% retained? Would land Anderson around 3.65M

Would add some grit to the Canucks and create a bit of cap space.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I know Canucks fans would kill me, but I wonder if theirs anything that could be built around a Garland for Anderson (with retention]) trade.

Garland

for

4th
Anderson with 35% retained? Would land Anderson around 3.65M

Would add some grit to the Canucks and create a bit of cap space.
Don’t see Montreal using their last retention spot on Anderson

Reactions: Chose and pth2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad