Value of: Habs want to trade our 2018 First Round Draft Pick - what can we get?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Trading your 1st now would just about be the dumbest thing you could do. Nobody is going to value it as a top 10 pick right now, it'll probably be valued in the 11-15 range right now. Even if you were guaranteed to be awful there's still the lottery, the odds of it being Dahlin are slim.

Reactions: HOPE

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Montreal had that very hot start last season 13-1-1, and then played below .500 the rest of the year.

That's not even remotely true. You are in a message board that is for fans of hockey. Do you really think you can come here and make up nonsense and people won't call you on it?

You think the Montreal Canadiens finished first in their division playing just 12-games over .500? That's ridiculous. The team went 47-26-9. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Please enlighten us how when you remove the 13-1-1 record they become a team that played below .500?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As a Leafs fan I strongly....strongly urge you to move that pick. Please. Do it! However as a fan of logic and reason....do not move that ****ing pick.

You cannot...I repeat...CANNOT contend for the division lead. I don't even think you can catch Toronto/Ottawa let alone Tampa.

The Leafs are nine points ahead and the Sens 7 points ahead. It's October. You don't think 9 points can be made up in the standings?

Are you serious? Are you new to following hockey? Nine points is not even remotely close to an insurmountable lead. Get serious.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Trade a high 1st round pick in today's NHL is a big disaster - Montreal would be better off accumulating drafts picks rather then giving away

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Uhh, Toronto can help you out on that one... no lottery protection or take backs though!

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The Leafs are nine points ahead and the Sens 7 points ahead. It's October. You don't think 9 points can be made up in the standings?

Are you serious? Are you new to following hockey? Nine points is not even remotely close to an insurmountable lead. Get serious.

Of course 9 points can be made up.

My point was that 9 points can't be made up by THAT team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's not even remotely true. You are in a message board that is for fans of hockey. Do you really think you can come here and make up nonsense and people won't call you on it?

You think the Montreal Canadiens finished first in their division playing just 12-games over .500? That's ridiculous. The team went 47-26-9. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Please enlighten us how when you remove the 13-1-1 record they become a team that played below .500?

I think the point is if you lop off that 13-1-1 record from November 2016 or whatever, follow that through to September 2017 and their current start, the Habs are a tire fire headed in a distinctly downward trajectory.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Lol - are they wanting to dump all of their promising young players or something?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Sorry FerrisRox I didn't explain it better to a non hockey fan like yourself. Maybe you don't realize that there are so many 3 point games in the NHL, that 82 points does not make you it you an average of .500 team anymore. So by your math the Canadian went 34-25-8. 76 points in 67 games, prorated 94 points over 82 games. So, in my own way I'm calling 94 points over 82 games....500. Does 94 points get a team in the playoffs? If you want enlightenment about "three point games", I could direct you to the internet site.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd give you Leivo and 2nd+3rd rounds picks, ours not San Jose's. I know you'll say no but hey, why not throw our hat into the ring. You can have Marincin and McBackup too if you want, Fehr too.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You are in a message board that is for fans of hockey. Do you really think you can come here and make up nonsense and people won't call you on it?

Oh my friend I am not sure where you have been, it happens here numerous times every day and people will continue with these lies even after called on it and proven wrong. The internet often brings out the worst in some people. They know they are misleading or lying and they will keep doing it because they think it makes their target look bad and them good. These people often think everyone in the world is an idiot but them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DON'T DO IT!

It could be a pretty good pick. I'd at least wait until December and see where you are then. I could see Price hitting a hot streak and putting them back into the playoff bubble, but it's too risky to do it right now, if this poor season should continue into December.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Leafs offer JVR + Bozak. Top 6 LW and 6, instantly adds real depth to the team and about 85-100 points to their offense. Leafs hope the pick is in the top 10 and they can add another impact defensive prospect.

They are worth a lot more than that. Both are worth 1rst rounders at least so unless the Habs pick is top 5 it would be a bad move. Not to mention the stupidity of trading them to make our team worse. Don't forget as they get better they rise in the standings so you would be pushing the Habs into the playoffs or close to it in exchange for an average pick while screwing our own playoff run and making us worse this year.

That would be moronic asset management. You're fired.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Habs management, and a lot of fans (me anyways - many others feel differently) felt that Habs had a contending team this year. We won division last year, still have Price, etc.

They had a horrible start.

Dahlin is available. A lot call him generational (yep - I used that term). A lot of people see Montreal finishing bottom 5 this year as a bad team. Very mixed opinions.

I think we still contend for division lead, and our first round pick ends up in the 20s. So not worth much. Others around the league may view it as a chance to get a top top pick in a strong draft year because they expect Montreal to suck all year.

Montreal decides to trade it's first round pick now (in October - so it's a gamble how high it ends up). (we're ok adding extra pieces too for top players). What can we get? Ideally a #1 center - alternatively a a strong #2 center would work. A good puck moving defenseman could also work.

Your team is a league-wide laughing stock, the only thing anyone was interested in was Sergeiechev (SP) and you blew him on D**K-Head (have fun with that guy)

You will win nothing, you will go nowhere, Price will do nothing more impressive than throw tantrums and break sticks, the era of the superstar Goalie is OVER, that fact that you have a GOALIE for a Franchise player shows how backward your management is..

If you trade your 1st rounder, Jim Benning will for the first time have a serious rival for the "How is this moron a GM?" award.

Your teams purpose this year and for many to come is to amuse us with your incompetence,

And we are VERY amused

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Your team is a league-wide laughing stock, the only thing anyone was interested in was Sergeiechev (SP) and you blew him on D**K-Head (have fun with that guy)

You will win nothing, you will go nowhere, Price will do nothing more impressive than throw tantrums and break sticks, the era of the superstar Goalie is OVER, that fact that you have a GOALIE for a Franchise player shows how backward your management is..

If you trade your 1st rounder, Jim Benning will for the first time have a serious rival for the "How is this moron a GM?" award.

Your teams purpose this year and for many to come is to amuse us with your incompetence,

And we are VERY amused

Yikes. I don't like Montreal as much as the next guy but this is just in poor taste.

As for the actual question the last thing the Habs should be doing is trading the future for something that would almost assuredly not make them a contender.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not a good idea. Imagine barely missing the playoffs with Duchene (or whatever player you get) and then that team wins the lottery with YOUR pick.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Montreal needs to trade players on their roster for picks/prospects. Bring up some kids from Laval so they get a taste of the NHL.

NOT to trade a lottery pick.

Chances of them making the playoffs is next to zero, so start a dedicated rebuild and DO NOT deviate from that.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The player you need to win the division is Mcdavid and I'm not sure that even does it

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

The funny thing is that that doesn't even work even if you presume a "all OTLs are losses, so those last two columns should be combined" conceit on the part of the poster - you end up with a 34-33 record.

Reactions: Deam78

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I mean, anyone who seriously considered Montreal some sort of "playoff lock" after the offseason they had absolutely deserves this joke to be played on them.

Trading the 1st would be the ultimate icing on the cake.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No way we should ever trade this 1st round pick. The cupboard is bare of any blue chip prospects. I don’t mind some of our prospects but we don’t have anyone like say Sergachev right now. Keep that first.

If the losing continues we need to blow this team up......

Patches and Weber for Puljajarvi, Nuge and nurse and 1st
Galch for Hanifin
Gallagher for a first to highest bidder
Plekanec not resigned
Make a strong play for Tavares

Out goes.....
Patches
Weber
Galch
Gallagher
Plek

In comes....
Pool party
Nuge
Nurse
Hanifin
2 additional 1sts
Tavares ;)

forget about that Edmonton trade... or be prepared to work some magic on the cap hit. all in all... your ideas seam like they would help montreal which is your goal so points for that. I'm not sure I would like the trades from the other side... but its debatable. you still need to be cap compliant though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad