Value of: Habs want to trade our 2018 First Round Draft Pick - what can we get?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs management, and a lot of fans (me anyways - many others feel differently) felt that Habs had a contending team this year. We won division last year, still have Price, etc.

They had a horrible start.

Dahlin is available. A lot call him generational (yep - I used that term). A lot of people see Montreal finishing bottom 5 this year as a bad team. Very mixed opinions.

I think we still contend for division lead, and our first round pick ends up in the 20s. So not worth much. Others around the league may view it as a chance to get a top top pick in a strong draft year because they expect Montreal to suck all year.

Montreal decides to trade it's first round pick now (in October - so it's a gamble how high it ends up). (we're ok adding extra pieces too for top players). What can we get? Ideally a #1 center - alternatively a a strong #2 center would work. A good puck moving defenseman could also work.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What could be available for a draft pick that makes you strong enough? I can't see anything.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Montreal had that very hot start last season 13-1-1, and then played below .500 the rest of the year. And personnel wise the Habs never improved this season. To me, they were destined to out of the playoffs team this season. Why even try to prop up this group by giving up futures? And it doesn't get better soon either. Price gets 4m raise, and there are few NHL ready prospects on cheap ELC on the near horizon. Certainly not a top 8 team in the Eastern Conference this year and may be not for awhile.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think if I'm Montreal I hold onto my 1st rounder in 2018. Looks like they may finish out of the playoffs this year (Unless they pick things up soon), deep draft this year, could fix a few holes on that team.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Habs trading their 1st would be an epic fail by management at this point. But it will obviously be tempting... the sharks will be circling, and they will be well aware of Bergevin's desperation. It's the perfect storm, there is blood in the water...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As a Toronto fan I have to warn you about trading firsts when you’re a bottom 5 team in hopes that the return of the trade will improve your standing
You are so right. We've lived that experience. Montreal should hold onto that.
But also as a Toronto fan, I say please do it!

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
No way we should ever trade this 1st round pick. The cupboard is bare of any blue chip prospects. I don’t mind some of our prospects but we don’t have anyone like say Sergachev right now. Keep that first.

If the losing continues we need to blow this team up......

Patches and Weber for Puljajarvi, Nuge and nurse and 1st
Galch for Hanifin
Gallagher for a first to highest bidder
Plekanec not resigned
Make a strong play for Tavares

Out goes.....
Patches
Weber
Galch
Gallagher
Plek

In comes....
Pool party
Nuge
Nurse
Hanifin
2 additional 1sts
Tavares ;)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No way we should ever trade this 1st round pick. The cupboard is bare of any blue chip prospects. I don’t mind some of our prospects but we don’t have anyone like say Sergachev right now. Keep that first.

If the losing continues we need to blow this team up......

Patches and Weber for Puljajarvi, Nuge and nurse and 1st
Galch for Hanifin
Gallagher for a first to highest bidder
Plekanec not resigned
Make a strong play for Tavares

Out goes.....
Patches
Weber
Galch
Gallagher
Plek

In comes....
Pool party
Nuge
Nurse
Hanifin
2 additional 1sts
Tavares ;)

Is Montreal also working out a deal with the NHL to give about 6 Mil of their cap space to the Oilers to fit that?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
habs are gonna contend for the division lead?

the are 2-6-1 with a -16 goal differential. they don't have a 1C, or even a 2C. They have Price,Weber, and a few talented wingers...sorry guy, but the habs would be very lucky just to squeak into the playoffs.

90pts over the next 73 games MIGHT get em in. personally I don't see the habs going something like 42-25-6 the rest of the way given the makeup of the team. Radulov+Markov+Sergachev are clearly a better trio than Drouin+Alzner+Schlemko

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Bergevin would instantly be fired. This wouldnt be the first time the Habs had a poor season, only to rebound into a contender again. Lets not forget about getting Galchenyuk at 3 and Sergachev at 9. Habs have a good core, just need to supplement that with some good pieces. This could be a blessing in disguise. If the Canadiens get Dahlin they are instantly relevant again. Not to mention the nearly 10m in cap to spend.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don’t think many teams will be trading 2018 1st rders. The draft is strong and we’ve seen increased importance in having guys on ELC’s that can play up in the lineup to offset the cap hit of high priced stars.

It would be very foolish to deal that pick. If the intent of the thread is to get some dream offer based on the chance Montreal continues to play poorly AND gets lottery luck, you’re going to be disappointed.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So to be clear. I fully expect the overwhelming opinion on hf to be that they should NOT trade their pick. I even agree with that (to a certain extent).
The premise of this thread though is Bergevin DOES offer to trade the pick and does so now. What can we get? I'm not asking if we *should* trade it.

We can add big pieces (pacioretty, galagher, galchenyuk) for right return or keep it mostly centered around the pick.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Habs management, and a lot of fans (me anyways - many others feel differently) felt that Habs had a contending team this year. We won division last year, still have Price, etc.

They had a horrible start.

Dahlin is available. A lot call him generational (yep - I used that term). A lot of people see Montreal finishing bottom 5 this year as a bad team. Very mixed opinions.

I think we still contend for division lead, and our first round pick ends up in the 20s. So not worth much. Others around the league may view it as a chance to get a top top pick in a strong draft year because they expect Montreal to suck all year.

Montreal decides to trade it's first round pick now (in October - so it's a gamble how high it ends up). (we're ok adding extra pieces too for top players). What can we get? Ideally a #1 center - alternatively a a strong #2 center would work. A good puck moving defenseman could also work.

Simply put, you're nuts to trade it. Short of landing THE piece, it makes no sense. The Habs need more than one piece at this point. So ...

This team should be acquiring 2018 first round picks to go with the one they have. Not trading away.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
As a Leafs fan I strongly....strongly urge you to move that pick. Please. Do it! However as a fan of logic and reason....do not move that f***ing pick.

You cannot...I repeat...CANNOT contend for the division lead. I don't even think you can catch Toronto/Ottawa let alone Tampa.

Reactions: GongShowWilly

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Im trying to think who would be even available for that pick that would fit Montreal's needs - and I cant even think of that many players.

Duchene - Montreal fans will say thats too much, despite Duchene proving so far that last season was a fluke.
LHD From Carolina - They arent moving any of their top 4, and Bean Fleury arent what habs need for that pick. Carolina should also be on its way out of a rebuild, so im not sure what another first does for them.

OP - What names are you thinking?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs offer JVR + Bozak. Top 6 LW and 6, instantly adds real depth to the team and about 85-100 points to their offense. Leafs hope the pick is in the top 10 and they can add another impact defensive prospect.

Reactions: GongShowWilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad