LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
why would a team bite at that asking price, guy was sitting on his couch unemployed and any team could have signed him to league minimum.

Should be a pick with conditions on it for rounds played in or games played etc.

If a GM is dumb enough to give a 2nd rounder for him he should be fired imo

I think this narrative has to stop. Yes every one could've had him a few months ago when everyone thought he sucked. He was .5 ppg since joining the kings. Now he is basically ppg with the Habs.
No one wanted to take the risk, but now that he plays like he does, I'm sure pretty much every playoff team would like to have him.

He litterally came in and became our best player since day one. Suzuki seems to learn a lot from him too. He's been very professional and works his ass off every single shift.
And how many 700k Ilya Kovalchuks are there this year on the rental market ? Is there even a market ? Pageau, Kreider ?

If I were Bergevin I would say at least a 2nd right now and let teams outbid each other until the last moment of the deadline. That is if we're officially out of course and even if we are Id give a shot at re-signing him.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Kovalchuk is playing inspired hockey right now, given good ice time, He plays hard, still has skills and a good shot dispite not being as fast as used to, still very effective! He would be a great addition for almost any contender looking for good scoring depth.

if a team feels like he'll be a great addition in a cup run they won't be shy giving a 2nd round pick.

It's HFboard, we're all in love with our propect and exited for the draft, but in the real world the success rate of a 2nd round pick is very low and a Stanley cup is PRICELESS for a franchise. Maybe they're will be better option, maybe not, But if Kovalchuk keeps playing like he is i realy wouldn't doubt he lands a 2nd round pick, i'd prefer to extend him for 1-2 years as a stop gap LW and deal Tatar as he has higher value.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
And it sure seems Kovi is happy in Montreal. Very Bush league trading him now.
As fir his value, a team would be stupid to trade fir Kovi at all, let alone a second.

Do you care to explain why a team would be stupid to get Ilya Kovalchuk at 700k at the deadline ?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Top teams get rentals all the time, so I don't really see your point. Kovalchuk has been an example since day 1 in Montreal, if you think hed be a cancer in the locker room you couldnt be more wrong.
Never said cancer. Chemistry is really important. Adding a player who is a hard to play against PK guy is better for team chemistry than Kovi.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Draft picks are so incredibly overrated here.

yes and no. There are a ton of misses out there yet there are always a few players which emerge after Round 2. It’s a lottery and the more chances you have the better the odds on finding one.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018

I would like someone to hand me a million dollars......now that's out of the way, I can see the habs asking high to maximize the return. That being said, a 2nd for Kovie and most rumours are a 2nd and a prospect for toffoli appears to be a steep starting price. But who knows, we have all seen stranger things happen at trade deadlines and with trades in general.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.

I don't understand this logic. They could have had him for free, but I don't think there's a single contender that thought he would play at the level he is playing at or they very happily would have taken him for free.

They didn't do it, and it was clearly a mistake as he is playing well and they alleged knocks against him - primarily that he was too slow or too one dimensional are quite obviously not an issue.

I can't fathom a single general manager in the league being stupid enough to not acquire a piece that could really help them for a 2nd round pick simply because they could have got him for cheaper earlier on. That doesn't make any sense. People make mistakes, the notion that someone should compound that error is idiotic.

Reactions: Edgy and Habs10Habs

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
If Kovy keeps it up a second is a good price.

I’m not sure he will find the lightning in a bottle with another team that he did in Montreal but it’s possible.

Seems like a good guy. Two difficult seasons in LA where it’s hard to play your best when playoffs chances are done in November.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
18 points in 28 games this year. That’s a 53 point pace over 82 games and he costs league minimum. That’s easily worth a second round pick. 0.64 ppg average so far

Let’s see what gets you a 2nd at the deadline
plekanec got a 2nd with a 0.40
Grabner got a 2nd with a 0.50
Boyle got a 2nd with a 0.40
Eaves got a 2nd with a 0.62
Staal got 2x 2nds with a 0.52
Vermette got a 1st with a 0.55
42 year old Jagr got a 2nd + 3rd with a 0.50
Gaustad got a 1st with a 0.30
Kostitsyn got a 2nd + 5th with a 0.45
Dominic Moore got 2nds with a 0.33 and 0.35

Like the list - thanks for putting it together.
I'm thinking Centers have a bit more value especially if they're solid at faceoffs so perhaps the Wingers on the list are the better comparison

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Wouldn't the Habs be better off re-signing him to a one-year deal? I don't see teams lining up to trade for him because he may not fit on most teams as well as he has in Montreal.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I have given you an example of one team--who won the cup last year and sit 2nd overall

How was boston built? they sit number 1

not by who drafted them but where the player was drafted
Pastrenk 25
Marchand 71
Bergeron 45
Krejci 63
Krug UFA
Debrusk 14
Coyle 28
Heinen 116
McAvoy 14
Kurley 133
Carlo 37
Bjork 146
Grezlyk 85
Grandpa Moses 56 in 1776
wagner 122
Nordstrom 90
Lindholm UFA

for me a pick in the top 100 picks is where the scouts need to it it

I have now given you the top 2 teams in the league

start giving me the teams not built on on guys taken in the first 3 rounds that are good
How about looking at all the players taken in the 3 rds and realize how many didn't make it.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Why all that beef for a 2nd pick. The guy is about to be the best play player in his team since a January except for maybe a guy or two. I wouldnt be that surprised if Habs get a late 1st rd pick for. We all know how bad he was in his previous environment but he's clearly a different thing now and I just cant see how a sellers could even consider for a minute to sell an almost ppg all-around helpful player .

I predict now that Kovy will be sold for a 2nd pick and 3rd pick but there's a fair chance that he'll be traded for 28 - 31 OV pick

Reactions: Toene

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
yes and no. There are a ton of misses out there yet there are always a few players which emerge after Round 2. It’s a lottery and the more chances you have the better the odds on finding one.

Sure but giving away a productive player (Kovalchuk) for a 3% chance of getting a decent player is counterproductive.

This goes double or triple for players who still have term left (Tatar, Petry

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Never said cancer. Chemistry is really important. Adding a player who is a hard to play against PK guy is better for team chemistry than Kovi.

Not sure about that, if a team feel they need help, they'll be a lot happier to welcome a legend like Kovalchuk than a Dominic Moore. Anyway I don't see how you can say hed be worse for the chemistry than any other rental, it was quite the opposite on the Habs.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
if montreal gets a 2nd for him, thats a sick move by them

maybe he comes back as well, similar to vaneks detroit situation

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sure but giving away a productive player (Kovalchuk) for a 3% chance of getting a decent player is counterproductive.

This goes double or triple for players who still have term left (Tatar, Petry

montreal should look to their recent 2nds though. romanov looks like a sure nhler, ylonen as well though he hasnt taken another step this year.

more and more teams are hitting on 2nd rounders the last few years as well it seems.

2015, 2016 and 2017 are packed with guys who are already playing in the nhl or are the next guy up developing in the ahl.

seems 2nd rounders are even as good a gamble as late firsts, i feel like teams are way more willing to take risks with even an early 2nd than a late first and its been paying off

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Wouldn't the Habs be better off re-signing him to a one-year deal? I don't see teams lining up to trade for him because he may not fit on most teams as well as he has in Montreal.
They could get him back on July 1st?

Anyhow the way he is currently playing, a 2nd is a pretty fair ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad