LeBrun: Habs want at least a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
A second round draft pick for a guy who was available to the entire league after he was waived and then bought out? Bergevin is dreaming in technicolor.
1. He was not bought out.

2. If picked up on termination waivers, his cap hit would have been $4.7M for this season and $6.25 for next season.

Any other brilliant thoughts ?

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
why would a team bite at that asking price, guy was sitting on his couch unemployed and any team could have signed him to league minimum.

Should be a pick with conditions on it for rounds played in or games played etc.

If a GM is dumb enough to give a 2nd rounder for him he should be fired imo
Any team didn't sign him...the desperate buffoon bergevin signed him...the saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut comes to mind.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I have given you an example of one team--who won the cup last year and sit 2nd overall

How was boston built? they sit number 1

not by who drafted them but where the player was drafted
Pastrenk 25
Marchand 71
Bergeron 45
Krejci 63
Krug UFA
Debrusk 14
Coyle 28
Heinen 116
McAvoy 14
Kurley 133
Carlo 37
Bjork 146
Grezlyk 85
Grandpa Moses 56 in 1776
wagner 122
Nordstrom 90
Lindholm UFA

for me a pick in the top 100 picks is where the scouts need to it it

I have now given you the top 2 teams in the league

start giving me the teams not built on on guys taken in the first 3 rounds that are good

If the draft ranking of players like chara and Bergeron still matter why wouldn't adding 1st overall pick kovalchuk be seen as a positive?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If the draft ranking of players like chara and Bergeron still matter why wouldn't adding 1st overall pick kovalchuk be seen as a positive?

again

I am saying conditions added to the pick--

the deeper the team goes in the playoffs the better the pick

then you can justify the trade

but giving up a 2nd rounder for a first round knock out?

bad asset managment

Gaud

May 11, 2017
i am curious.. what would need to be added to a third to make it equivalent to a 2nd? another 3rd?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.

This must be your first trade deadline.

So, a team asks for a price that's a little rich, then another team offers a little less thinking they got a good deal, while the selling team gets what they actually wanted.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Translation : Bergevin will only trade him if he's begged to do so.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
I have given you an example of one team--who won the cup last year and sit 2nd overall

How was boston built? they sit number 1

not by who drafted them but where the player was drafted
Pastrenk 25
Marchand 71
Bergeron 45
Krejci 63
Krug UFA
Debrusk 14
Coyle 28
Heinen 116
McAvoy 14
Kurley 133
Carlo 37
Bjork 146
Grezlyk 85
Grandpa Moses 56 in 1776
wagner 122
Nordstrom 90
Lindholm UFA

for me a pick in the top 100 picks is where the scouts need to it it

I have now given you the top 2 teams in the league

start giving me the teams not built on on guys taken in the first 3 rounds that are good
top 2 teams are bruins and capitals... not blues

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lol okay sure Habs, whatever you say.

The Habs should just keep him and re-sign him, tbh. If you re-sign him and he either continues what he has done or plays at least reasonably well, you'd be a lot more likely to get that kind of return next year than this year. I can't see how any reasonable contender is going to want to trade a 2nd for Kovalchuk when they could have had him literally for free a month ago.
Have you ever considered the possibility that it was a mistake for these teams to not pick him up? He was looking like he was done in LA and is a different player in Montreal.

I'd be happy keeping him. Trading him for anything less than a second is essentially just moving him for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad