GDT: Habs vs Sens at Le Centre Pneus Canadien - 7pm RDS, CityTV, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Boro took a puck/high stick along the boards and still made it back to the front of the net to block a shot with 5 minutes left.

Reactions: aragorn

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I remember seeign one of the 'experts' predicting we'd finish with 20 wins on the year. So we're already at 20% of that lol.

Honestly, this team just impresses me with their attitude. I know that's cheesy, but they don't give up at all. We have some nice pieces and the players have boosted my interest in the team based off the way they play.

Still not sure I can go and support Eugene though.
I'm not an expert but in the Sens HF poll I predicted around 20 wins (50 points). I am more than surprised at the start to season. Pleasantly so. Major unexpected points:
  • Chabot and LaJoie this "ready"
  • Boucher and coaching style
  • Demelo and Tierney
  • Offence and power play without EK
  • General ability to keep the puck out of the net. I expected 3-4 goals many nights
  • Team spirit or chemistry or whatever morale is.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm not an expert but in the Sens HF poll I predicted around 20 wins (50 points). I am more than surprised at the start to season. Pleasantly so. Major unexpected points:
  • Chabot and LaJoie this "ready"
  • Boucher and coaching style
  • Demelo and Tierney
  • Offence and power play without EK
  • General ability to keep the puck out of the net. I expected 3-4 goals many nights
  • Team spirit or chemistry or whatever morale is.

Just want to touch on the PP without EK. The fact that people thought it could get worse just shows how little attention is paid. 75% of the time PP1 had the zone it was EK and Hoffman looking for each other, wether it was coaching or certain players wanting the puck I couldn't tell you but it was extremely infuriating. They rarely set up any plays, rarely had an looks below the goal line. They never attacked the PKers, it was all perimeter play. It really couldn't have gotten any worse. It was a PP that lacked any imagination and over a 4 season span it was the worst in the NHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
While I do think we're better with Ceci, I've been doing it tongue in cheek in a self deprecating fashion because it was my prediction after he went down that we'd miss him, and our d-corp continues to make me look bad for making that prediction.

I don't expect people to all catch on because they'd have to have seen all my GDT thread posts. Yes, I still don't think Ceci is a negative, not saying I don't, but the joke is coming into every GDT with the same comment that gets proven wrong by our D. At this point, as long as our streak continues , it's a borderline superstitious fan ritual.
Well here’s the thing. We don’t need him. Your argument and several here is that he’s not that bad. Fine. But we don’t NEED him. Which is crazy. Imagine turning down pretty good offers for a d man that you don’t actually need?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well here’s the thing. We don’t need him. Your argument and several here is that he’s not that bad. Fine. But we don’t NEED him. Which is crazy. Imagine turning down pretty good offers for a d man that you don’t actually need?

I'm fine with us trading him, it's the right move in a rebuild.

Just because I don't think Ceci is awful, doesn't mean I am on board with every move management has or hasn't made in relation to him. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Smash88 and Xspyrit

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
They're averaging 3.57 GA per game, good for 25th in the league. I don't think they've shown an "ability to keep the puck out of the net".
Right you are (of course). But two one-goal-against games is a surprise to me at least.
By picking that one point are you by default agreeing with the rest of my post?

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Just want to touch on the PP without EK. The fact that people thought it could get worse just shows how little attention is paid. 75% of the time PP1 had the zone it was EK and Hoffman looking for each other, wether it was coaching or certain players wanting the puck I couldn't tell you but it was extremely infuriating. They rarely set up any plays, rarely had an looks below the goal line. They never attacked the PKers, it was all perimeter play. It really couldn't have gotten any worse. It was a PP that lacked any imagination and over a 4 season span it was the worst in the NHL.
I don't go to the games or watch them on television. I listen to pretty well every game on the radio. Basically my credibility in providing insightful analysis is, well, zero.
Except of course my 100% credibility in assessing why I'm surprised, even if my surprise is unfounded. From my position of only listening it seemed to me that removing EK and Hoffman wouldn't help the power play.

I gather you were expecting a better power play this year (or at least not worse)?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't go to the games or watch them on television. I listen to pretty well every game on the radio. Basically my credibility in providing insightful analysis is, well, zero.
Except of course my 100% credibility in assessing why I'm surprised, even if my surprise is unfounded. From my position of only listening it seemed to me that removing EK and Hoffman wouldn't help the power play.

I gather you were expecting a better power play this year (or at least not worse)?

I didn’t really have any expectations but I didn’t expect it to get worse personally, I was looking forward to the change. It was a PP focused around two elements. It worked for two players, but didn’t work for the team.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I didn’t really have any expectations but I didn’t expect it to get worse personally, I was looking forward to the change. It was a PP focused around two elements. It worked for two players, but didn’t work for the team.
They used to kill their own advantage by passing the puck around endlessly trying to set up one perfect back-door chance. I prefer the lots-of-shots, lot-of-chances, storm-the-net approach.

Reactions: Zedrow

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I didn't have any specific expectations except to say more of the same approach with less skill. Which I assumed would mean fewer wins. Appears I was wrong on a few counts. Thankfully.
It is early but the win against Montreal was very important.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

your mixing your apples and oranges here

offers on Ceci date back a couple of seasons ago. Wind the clock back two years and assess whether we needed him then without the benefit of hindsight.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've thought and expressed on the board for a long time that EK was a problem on the PP. He came up the ice dreadfully slow more or less all the time. they were easy to defend because they never had speed to move the D back so opponents stood 4 across the line. The other problem we had for a couple of years in there was losing far too many first pp draws, down the ice it goes, then we struggle to get it back and we'd often have 1/2 the PP gone by the time we had o zone possession.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
your mixing your apples and oranges here

offers on Ceci date back a couple of seasons ago. Wind the clock back two years and assess whether we needed him then without the benefit of hindsight.
Was it hindsight for all of us saying back then we don’t need him?

Back then I was told “how can you criticize him he’s young wait a couple years “

And now it’s “easy to criticize in hindsight”.

We didn’t need him then either. We had a d men better than any d man we have now. Who could play 30 easy. It takes so little to replace ceci... a bunch of kids are doing it now

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Back then I was told “how can you criticize him he’s young wait a couple years “

We didn’t need him then either. We had a d men better than any d man we have now. Who could play 30 easy. It takes so little to replace ceci... a bunch of kids are doing it now
And if there is truth to the whole Ceci-Hall offer, you take that and "figure out" the D later without any hesitation whatsoever.

Reactions: Altimus

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

By that logic those kids are adequately replacing Karlsson as well.

I’m not defending Ceci as I have seen enough to think he is now what he will always be.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I've thought and expressed on the board for a long time that EK was a problem on the PP. He came up the ice dreadfully slow more or less all the time. they were easy to defend because they never had speed to move the D back so opponents stood 4 across the line. The other problem we had for a couple of years in there was losing far too many first pp draws, down the ice it goes, then we struggle to get it back and we'd often have 1/2 the PP gone by the time we had o zone possession.

There was a significant lack of player movement on the PP resulting in few net attacks to draw the D to the player with the puck, thus creating passing opportunities to players at the sides of the ccrease for tips and deflections, etc.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Great win. Winning on a Saturday night against a rival has lasting effects for 48 hours. Feels good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad