Pre-Game Talk: Habs Vs. Pens Game 1 Sometimes Summer of 2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Interesting i hadnt heard that wonder why they arent training yet then
Habs have players dispersed throughout the world......do you really think they have not kept themselves in decent shape and some training to do so?
As a group, they are not allowed to be on the ice together until recently....6 players at a time I think have been on Brossard ice..

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs have players dispersed throughout the world......do you really think they have not kept themselves in decent shape and some training to do so?
As a group, they are not allowed to be on the ice together until recently....6 players at a time I think have been on Brossard ice..
Fair it just seemed to me that the only regular skating was Drouin

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Fair it just seemed to me that the only regular skating was Drouin
He has been the only one the media seems to have focused on.....when he hit the ice a couple of weeks ago, I thought I read there was four of them, at that time skating together, though Danault was one but not sure who the others were. Read something awhile back, players were skating in small groups, close to their homes etc

Reactions: habsfan891

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

upload_2020-6-24_11-31-37.png

Murray confident he'll start in goal for Penguins in Qualifiers

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Canadiens Mailbag (Predicting line combinations for Penguins series, etc) - Sportsnet.ca

Tatar/Danault/Gallagher
Drouin/Suzuki/Armia
Byron/Domi/Lehkonen
Weal/Evans/Weise

Chiarot/Weber
Kulak/Petry
Mete/Juulsen

interesting that they have Juulsen in but if Romanov is given the green light I expect he would get in there. A Mete-Romaov pairing might look good. The forward lines are about what I would expect but we need to see if Domi is going to play or not. If he's not then Kotka slides into his spot. I like Leks at RW finally. I would go with Domi Kotka Leks Byron Evans Weise or Weal.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
interesting that they have Juulsen in but if Romanov is given the green light I expect he would get in there. A Mete-Romaov pairing might look good. The forward lines are about what I would expect but we need to see if Domi is going to play or not. If he's not then Kotka slides into his spot. I like Leks at RW finally. I would go with Domi Kotka Leks Byron Evans Weise or Weal.
Doesnt KK still have that spleen injury?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Honestly, I see Pittsburg as a contender to win the Stanley Cup so, I don't believe we have much of chance. Only chance I see us winning this is if their goalies shit the bed which is a legitimate possibility.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The question is WHY? Do you really want to see us get lucky make the playoffs to get our asses handed to us and for it to take longer for us to actually become a team like the Penguins?

I never said I wanted to beat them...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly, I see Pittsburg as a contender to win the Stanley Cup so, I don't believe we have much of chance. Only chance I see us winning this is if their goalies shit the bed which is a legitimate possibility.
Our odds increased due to having to win less games in this series. Fact we are getting right into it without a season as well also plays in our favor.
On November 1st, Habs were 7-4-2, Pens 8-5, so tied in points.

The current system they're going with helps lower seeded teams.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Woof. Might as well just forfeit

Tatar/Danault/Gallagher
Drouin/Suzuki/Armia
Byron/Domi/Lehkonen
Weal/Evans/Weise

Chiarot/Weber
Kulak/Petry
Mete/Juulsen

I honestly think that this lineup sucks as well but, the one suggesting to was Mr Fanboy Reporter with no real Hockey chops, as far as I am concerned.

He's completely forgotten Kotkaniemi as a member of the play-in li cup, suggesting eh should be given a chance to show what he can do because he's still an important prospect for this team.

If Kotkaniemi isn't still one of our 12 best forwards, somebody is missing something somewhere.

I can see Drouin - Suzuki - Armia working as a line but, I can also see Drouin - Domi - Armia working as a line and I'd rather do that and go with a talented kid line to round out the top-9 than have Byron - Domi - Lehkonen.

My take on that suggestion is that he just wanted to insulate Domi with two defensively aware wingers in Byron and Lehkonen for the playoffs.

If anything the proposed lineup is defensively sound. Is that the proposed recipe -- above all else -- for playoff success?

I personally don't care if we beat Pittsburgh or not because we will not win the Cup with this roster. I would concentrate on giving the players experience in a meaningful competition setting:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Armia
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

Chiarot - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Mete - Juulsen

I actually think you'd get more production out of this lineup than the one proposed earlier above. What I know you would be doing here, though, is giving some younger players more valuable experience and a chance to grow together for a better future.

This is not about seeing what Weal or Weise can give us short, medium or long term, is it?

I'm a nice guy and I really like Dale Weise as a person but, should I really be giving a flying you-know-what about him right now? Will his presence help the team in any essential way whatsoever? Is he part of the future beyond all the games already played this season?

Is Weal either? Really!?

As far as Kulak, I can agree with placing him alongside Petry in the hopes that he can rekindle some chemistry he once had with the veteran RD but, only if Romanov is not allowed to play. I'm not counting on him rekindling that semblance of chemistry he might have had for a little stretch earlier.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If I had it my way, I wouldn't put Kotkaniemi, Romanov or Poehling into this mess.

This isn't really 'the play-offs' it's just going to be a series to get into the play-offs; Romanov hasn't played in the NHL before.. both Kotkaniemi and Poehling struggled this year, so I don't want to hurt their confidence any further by coming back and struggling in these games. Let them practice with the team and be around this weird experience, play if they have no healthy bodies and there's no other options.. but, let's simmer these guys.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Canadiens Mailbag (Predicting line combinations for Penguins series, etc) - Sportsnet.ca

Tatar/Danault/Gallagher
Drouin/Suzuki/Armia
Byron/Domi/Lehkonen
Weal/Evans/Weise

Chiarot/Weber
Kulak/Petry
Mete/Juulsen

I'd be surprised if Evans can beat out Poehling or a healthy Kotkaniemi
Interesting to go with Weise (grit) vs Hudon (Development)
Curious if Juulsen is ready - lots of alternatives in Folin, Ouellet, Fleury, Alzner, Leskinen.
Also no mention of Lindgren vs Primeau

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

I thought both were LDs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If I had it my way, I wouldn't put Kotkaniemi, Romanov or Poehling into this mess.

This isn't really 'the play-offs' it's just going to be a series to get into the play-offs; Romanov hasn't played in the NHL before.. both Kotkaniemi and Poehling struggled this year, so I don't want to hurt their confidence any further by coming back and struggling in these games. Let them practice with the team and be around this weird experience, play if they have no healthy bodies and there's no other options.. but, let's simmer these guys.

I doubt anyone's confidence gets shattered in this play-in series, win or lose. Playing is better experience than practising and watching. With all the time off, I want as many of the prospects that represent the future to play. Weal and Weise are the least of my worries.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Our odds increased due to having to win less games in this series. Fact we are getting right into it without a season as well also plays in our favor.
On November 1st, Habs were 7-4-2, Pens 8-5, so tied in points.

The current system they're going with helps lower seeded teams.

That’s a weird stat to pull up. I guess you’re saying we can compete with the Pens for a short period of time?

Fact is we’re 1-1-1 vs the Pens this season, not bad, actually looks like we might have a chance. But at the TD we traded away 3 pretty key players, Kovy and Scandella and Thompson that helped us win games and replaced them with?? Evans and Ouellette? maybe Ramanov? While on the other hand Pens got stronger.

But you’re right, fewer games does mean we have a better chance at winning. I just don’t see how, unless their goaltending lets them down but hey, it could happen.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I doubt anyone's confidence gets shattered in this play-in series, win or lose. Playing is better experience than practising and watching. With all the time off, I want as many of the prospects that represent the future to play. Weal and Weise are the least of my worries.

This. If anything, not playing him is what would hurt his confidence the most.

Reactions: Be a Hab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad