Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Read through the thread on the Bruins' board "How far will the Bruins make it" and you'll see that a surprising amount of fans think we'll eliminate them in the playoffs.

Then go read the pre-game talk on the Leafs' board and you'll see that the Leafs are better than us.

Maybe they are, but so what! The Habs will be in the playoffs. Kiss off les feuilles mortes.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's pretty entertaining lol. I don't get it when fans of other teams always say that we overachieve or that we're overrated, or that we play above our limit. Guess what, if it keeps happening, season after season, then we must not be that bad.
You overlooked the alleged biased officiating that overpenalizes the opponents while underpenalizing the Habs. That's the ultimate rationalization, isn't it?

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Man.. Is it Wednesday yet?

Hoping for an early birthday present as Thursday is my birthday.

I'm quite interested in seeing how hockey looks on Sportsnet. I remember when they originally launched 16 years ago on my birthday and they were trash!

Hopefully they're much better this go around.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
"Habs are overrated."

"Price can't repeat what he did last year."

"Habs aren't even close to contenders.. I think they'll be on the outside looking in this year."

Man, it's like some of those Leafs fans totally forget that their team has consecutive monumental collapses and has only made the playoffs literally twice in the last decade. A couple of decent pre-season games and automatically they're gonna be better than the Habs this year. It's also funny to see them calling us "smurfs" when we've gotten quite a bit bigger and they've gotten drastically smaller. This is why I never feel sorry for them when their team completely fails miserably or when their franchise is ranked the worst in pro sports -- they deserve it.

*Deep breath, woo-saaaaa*

Anyway, enough with that though. Gonna be a good game either way because it always is between these two teams. For some reason, TOR always has our number opening night so I'm not exactly confident going into this one.. It'll just be great to see competitive hockey again.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Habs are overrated."

"Habs aren't even close to contenders.. I think they'll be on the outside looking in this year."

Man, it's like some of those Leafs fans totally forget that their team has consecutive monumental collapses and has only made the playoffs literally twice in the last decade. A couple of decent pre-season games and automatically they're gonna be better than the Habs this year. It's also funny to see them calling us "smurfs" when we've gotten quite a bit bigger and they've gotten drastically smaller. This is why I never feel sorry for them when their team completely fails miserably or when their franchise is ranked the worst in pro sports -- they deserve it.

Anyway, enough with that though. Gonna be a good game either way because it always is between these two teams. For some reason, TOR always has our number opening night so I'm not exactly confident going into this one.. It'll just be great to see competitive hockey again.
Actually, it's been once in the last decade. And it was a strike shortened year to boot. :laugh:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
"Habs are overrated."

Well we have to take them seriously.

They may not have the deterrent factor that McLaren and Orr can bring but if they did improve by being smaller, they most certainly have more offense.
Basically any team who removes McLaren and Orr can be a better team.

They have Kessel, JVR, Clarkson, Lupul, Bozak and Kadri.
Added Robidas in defense.
And Bernier is no slouch in the net.

We may think that the Leafs are easier, but if they can replace Orr and McLaren with legitimate NHL players, they will be stronger.

Also in defense they are pretty good: Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, Robidas, Polak and Reiley.
You can certainly find a top-4 among those.

If the Leafs stop to try to be a top team in penalties and start to play hockey, they will be a better team.

The only thing stopping them is Carlyle.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I don't think this will be a cake walk at all. The Leafs are usually strong out of the gate. It is around game 65 or so when they begin to implode. I think if Bernier plays well it could be a coin toss. Still think we will pull it out 4-2 with an empty netter.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Same lineups I presume? Or did something change?

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Moen​

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi​

Price
Tokarski​

Y2JEvan

Oct 13, 2005
Announcers for the next 3 games

Habs-Leafs: Hughson, Simpson, Healy, Oake

Habs-Caps: Bartlett, York

Habs-Flyers: Randorf, Galley, Amber

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
7-1 Montreal, Bernier pulled in the 2nd and Phaneuf is questioned as a leader right out of the gate.

Overall, a good game for everyone!

Oct 22, 2012
For those of you with hockeystreams, they are showing TSN's hockey season preview at 7:30 EST

Dying for a drop of hockey

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
For those of you with hockeystreams, they are showing TSN's hockey season preview at 7:30 EST

Dying for a drop of hockey

102409-booth-nhl.jpg

It's almost time! I wonder how long till the first suspension?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's time to start looking at the Toronto Maple Leafs through different lenses, with Brendan Shanahan at their helm expect to see a very competitive team. One with the future in mind, a long term gameplan to building a winning franchise in every sense. Similar to what the Habs, Tampa(Yzerman) and many of the best franchises are following, starting with the best in management first & foremost.

I'm expecting a very tight checking game, decided by the team that's best prepared and ready to play hard the entirety, errors will be costly at games end. Go Habs Go!!!!..... no easy points being made this season, parity is here and the team that scores first may be the winner.:nod:

Shanahan is just another tie in their boardroom,
nothing new under the sun.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pacioretty needs to grow a pair and go into the high slot, his shot is unreal. Having the dual threat of PK and Pacioretty will help this powerpaly immensely. Also maybe bourque will head to the front of the net on the powerplay because he is a large human being (probably expecting to much from him:laugh:).

Their are options, therrien just needs to find them.

which essentially means there are no options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad