Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
What is the Habs starting 6 on defence this year? Has it been announced yet for you guys?

Are the Leafs expected to see Beaulieu or Tinordi?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey guys, do you guys have a projected lineup for tomorrow?

Just doing up our GDT

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Are you guys confident in that 6, or are you hoping for Berg to do something to upgrade that?

Beaulieu is really looking like a nice fit. He played well in the playoffs last year and this training camp has looked better than Emelin Gilbert and Weaver in my opinion. Time will tell. Tinordi needs more time.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Are you guys confident in that 6, or are you hoping for Berg to do something to upgrade that?

It's a top end defense in the league in my mind. It has everything you could want in a top 6. Speed, skill, transition, size and balance. Plus you put Price in net and this could be a very good season defensively for this team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Emelin and Gilbert are both question marks. The biggest potential problem on defense is having to rely on a Markov-Subban top pairing, as Markov is getting too old for this ****(playing over 20 minutes).

In theory it's a very mobile defense though. Not anticipating any trades.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
It's almost unreal how 2 pts are important in this league with a 82 games schedule. We lost all the openers the last few years, time to get those precious points

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
102409-booth-nhl.jpg

It's almost time! I wonder how long till the first suspension?

I remember that game. Oberyn didn't even know what hit him.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
The only thing I'm worrying about is the PP. It didn't seem to me like the coaching staff worked on that aspect in the off-season. Everyone in the league adjusted to Subban's slapper already. This is where I wish we still had somebody like Vanek on the team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only thing I'm worrying about is the PP. It didn't seem to me like the coaching staff worked on that aspect in the off-season. Everyone in the league adjusted to Subban's slapper already. This is where I wish we still had somebody like Vanek on the team.

Doesn't matter who you put on there if the system is as brutal as it is. Its a humongous issue that we don't have an offensive mind or an imaginative mind behind the bench.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The PP should be an umbrella with Markov on one half wall and Galchenyuk on the other. Not really rocket science when you have a massive bomb on the point in Subban and 2 premier passes you can put on the walls.

The problem is, they'll keep force feeding Pacioretty and Desharnais out there and play standard.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Lol leafs fans arguing Bernier is better than Price. In what world?

Don't be too hard on them, most Laugh fans turned to drugs in the 70s when we were winning cups and they had Harold Ballard as an owner! :laugh:

The last time the Leafs were relevant was when gas was 15 cents a gallon
Bread was a nickel
Canada had the greatest war plane never built called the Avro Arrow

The closest the Leafs came to being relevant was 1993 when they almost made the finals.... Hmmm wonder who won the cup that year! :D

So if you see a Leafs fan my friends give them a hug and tell them that drugs aren't the answer. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Neither of our special teams looked particularly good.
As some have noted the lack of vision and preparation is appalling.
The half boards play can only work when it is used on one side at a time,
The whole idea being the opposite side winger/center depending who is down low has to poach.
We set up both sides with zero poaching. baarfff..

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The PP should be an umbrella with Markov on one half wall and Galchenyuk on the other. Not really rocket science when you have a massive bomb on the point in Subban and 2 premier passes you can put on the walls.

The problem is, they'll keep force feeding Pacioretty and Desharnais out there and play standard.

It just looks like the plan is to get it to the point, and get the puck on net. Once teams adapted to this and took subban's shot away, the habs have been lost. They are still forcing the points.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It just looks like the plan is to get it to the point, and get the puck on net. Once teams adapted to this and took subban's shot away, the habs have been lost. They are still forcing the points.

Yeah they don't try to drive a wedge between the D.
We are so easy to box out it's pathetic...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

The umbrella just works so well with the personnel Montreal has. You have Gallagher in front of the net causing a ruckus and Pacioretty in the high slot to pop in and out for shots and Markov/Chuck on the boards to control the play and draw the box to collapse with Subban on the point for howitzers.

This is the exact PP the team ran when they were consistently 1st or 2nd in the NHL and for the life of me I cannot understand why they went away from it. It's not like the other teams figured out how to stop it. You can't stop it when it's perfectly ideal for the players you have.

Coaching can't really be that hard, they're professionals just put them in the ideal position and sit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia