Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Leafs Now that's hockey.

Who wins and how many games?

• Habs in 4

• Habs in 5

• Habs in 6

• Habs in 7

• Leafs in 4

• Leafs in 5

• Leafs in 6

• Leafs in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are the fans that are happy KK and Caufield aren't playing the same ones that were ecstatic to obtain KK and Suzuki getting great playoff experience last year, at the expense of a lottery pick that could have been Rossi, Perfetti, Lundell, Askarov, Jarvis, or Holloway?

This is where you lose faith in management and wonder if they are doing anything more than throwing darts on the board.

I can buy the idea that the habs upgraded the goalie position behind price if they concluded that a rested price is still very good as witnessed in the bubble round.

I can buy the the idea that the habs upgraded their wingers to further insulate guys like Suzuki, and KK, who looked like they took a big step in the bubble round.

But if that was indeed the strategy, then it's silly to scratch KK now, because the entire strategy still partly hinges on KK turning his season around.

This would be an example of missing the forest from the trees.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Really can't wait for this to start. Win-win for everyone. We win, we beat the Leafs and Toronto will explode. We lose, we might see the end of this present management. Let's enjoy this series!

Yes, we could also win which mean 5 more year s of Bergevin. Or we lose and Bergevin still gets 5 years. But I just don't want to live in this reality.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I admit it would be hilarious if Eric Staal turns it on and steamrolls over the Leafs for 3 or 4 goals, while our D renders their forwards into squishable marshmallows. That's the hope – we see a revitalized crew that systematically rips apart the seams of Toronto's cheap, shiny suit.

It's possible. Just unlikely. And I'm pissed that our small slice of excitement, Caufield, is being sat.
Pandering to outdated hockey addage of rookies needing to take a backseat to veterans smdh

Reactions: Lshap

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
True - but he is a “struggling young player”

And a struggling veteran is better?

I’ve watched the Habs a lot the last 20 years and I can’t think of a player that’s been as bad as Staal. He’s one of the slowest players I’ve ever seen combined with an awful work ethic. Somehow doesn’t have the anticipation to make up for either. It’s bewildering to think he was once good. At least you see the talent and mind for the game from Perry even though the rest can’t keep up. Staal has zero redeeming qualities.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We are playing the leafs in the playoffs. This series is the most important series we’ve had since the 93’ final.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And a struggling veteran is better?

I’ve watched the Habs a lot the last 20 years and I can’t think of a player that’s been as bad as Staal. He’s one of the slowest players I’ve ever seen combined with an awful work ethic. Somehow doesn’t have the anticipation to make up for either. It’s bewildering to think he was once good. At least you see the talent and mind for the game from Perry even though the rest can’t keep up. Staal has zero redeeming qualities.
And yet KK hasn’t been able to outplay such a player ...says everything that needs to be known about where KKs game is at present....can’t outplay and borderline NHLer

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Really can't wait for this to start. Win-win for everyone. We win, we beat the Leafs and Toronto will explode. We lose, we might see the end of this present management. Let's enjoy this series!

Yes, we could also win which mean 5 more year s of Bergevin. Or we lose and Bergevin still gets 5 years. But I just don't want to live in this reality.

I think it's telling that Bergevin doesn't have an extension yet. I think his job security hinges on how the playoffs go.

What ownership should see is this:

1) A GM was given the green light to spend to the cap this year, but the return on investment hasn't improved in a meaningful way compared to prior years so far.

2) The GM has been given a 9 year term, and has not exhibited the ability to get to the stage of consistent contention. Sure, the farm looks good right now, but 9 years is a healthy run for any GM, and without tangible results, it's time for new ideas.

3). This could be the perfect transition time with some key players coming off the books. A fresh GM can come in and gain some cap flexibility to stamp their blueprint on the team.

A deep playoff push can complicate things for sure, but barring that, I think everything is pointing to the end of the line for bergy.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And yet KK hasn’t been able to outplay such a player ...says everything that needs to be known about where KKs game is at present....can’t outplay and borderline NHLer

He has outplayed him though. He looks like crap but at least I notice a couple of positive things every game. When has Staal done anything positive since his lucky OT winner in his first game?

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
No KK, no CC, Anderson on the 4th line.

Our 3rd line looks like an AHL 2nd line.

Weber's still broken. Price will be cold and out of game shape.

This ain't looking good.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He has outplayed him though. He looks like crap but at least I notice a couple of positive things every game. When has Staal done anything positive since his lucky OT winner in his first game?
Last 9GP:
KK: 0-points, -5, 45% faceoffs
Staal: 1-points, -1, 51% faceoffs

No KK has not outplayed Staal in the last nearly 17% of the season...in fact I can’t believe he hasn’t been able to

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I know Kotkaniemi was disappointing at the end of the season. He really had the worse stretch of his young career and he might not deserve to play in playoffs but it’s not all on him.

I blame Ducharme for a big part of it. He never had stability on his line, always changing wingers left and right and he lost confidence. It’s apparent when he is alone against the goalie and turns around to make a pass. He was the best player in the playoffs last year, and he was better in the first half of the season than Suzuki (after the 10th game mark) and Danault. Those two eventually caught up and I pointed out many times how Suzuki wasn’t playing well and was invisible yet he still was able to pick up points here and there (that’s all him and KK wasn’t able to do that). KK was even the best player on the power play for a while and he does deserve blame for not being able to find a way to create something but him not playing is not a good thing. He should be able to play knowing that he has the trust of the management and that he can make mistakes. And if a center gets injured in the first game, having a 5th center in the line up is always a good thing.

Now Anderson probably end up wasted on a line that does not suit him when he is the only player I’m confident will bring 100% every shift especially with how he played the last two years in the playoffs.

For Caufield, I can understand him being out of the line up. Yes he can score and in the 10 games he played he is second for goals on the team. Even in the games where he was less visible, he had good chances and could already have a lot more goals. Now playoffs are a different beast, anyone who watched the game last night saw how physical it was. It would be sending a kid to war. I would still want him there despite the lack of space which might limit his play, but that decision is understandable for now. It’s just sad to not see him because he brings an energy that no one else brings, its’s sparks like this that can make a difference.

Staal shouldn’t be there but they seem to be banking on experience.

I also get that Armia is not a sexy pick in the line up, but his puck protection skills, stick work and effective work around the boards is a must of this team want a chance to win.
I still took the leafs in 5 because I have no trust in Ducharme and his non existant system but hopefully Price can be the difference.
This will fall on deaf ears. We said the same thing about chuck. "Golden opportunities" these players have thrown away. LOL

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Last 9GP:
KK: 0-points, -5, 45% faceoffs
Staal: 1-points, -1, 51% faceoffs

No KK has not outplayed Staal in the last nearly 17% of the season...

Yes he has though. Watch the games. You’re going to honestly tell me you’ve seen Staal make a single positive play? He can’t even get to the puck, that’s how bad he is. I’ll take someone that gets to the puck and falls rather than a bum that can’t get to it and needs to make a 10 foot radius turn to head back the other way.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

So we will either hope Staal will turn his season around to move the habs forward. A guy at the end of his career, who won't be back next year, and has been bad all season even before his time in Montreal.

Or we can hope KK turns it around. A guy still in the beginning stages of his career, who actually looked fine this year for a while until the roof caved in.... A guy who was instrumental for the habs just less than a year ago in the bubble.

It shouldn't be a tough decision.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So we will either hope Staal will turn his season around to move the habs forward. A guy at the end of his career, who won't be back next year, and has been bad all season even before his time in Montreal.

Or we can hope KK turns it around. A guy still in the beginning stages of his career, who actually looked fine this year for a while until the roof caved in.

It shouldn't be a tough decision.
Or door #3, KK will inevitable get in the lineup for game#2 (as there’s slim probability Staal will show anything more in game 1), and hope sitting out game 1 + the 1-week break will light a fire under a mentally & physically revitalized 20-year old, eager to prove the world wrong

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Or door #3, KK will inevitable get in the lineup for game#2 (as there’s slim possibility Staal will show more in game 1), and hope sitting out game 1 + the 1-week break will light a fire under a mentally & physically revitalized 20-year old

He will be back for sure. He should have never been out in the first place.

Teams that win game 1 usually win the series, so it's not worth monkeying around.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Trotz uses Wahlstrom in the final minute of a tied game

We won't even dress Kk and Caufield lmao
Secret strategy to make sure they have no confidence when they do play. Then they will show they did not deserved to be in the lineup and it will prove the vets are fine. Brilliant. See everyone is terrible and my choices where fine. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad